Old 18-03-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default OT Server advice welcomed

Wanadoo has suddenly informed me that it will no longer be providing
newsgroup access. Two alternative newsreaders have been suggested,
both of which require a monthly payment. Needless to say, I will not
be taking up those offers.
However, if I'm going to change ISP, which clearly I need to do, I need
to do so quickly as we are re-printing Nursery literature. I would
very much welcome polite suggestions as to which ISP to change to,
bearing in mind that I have a Mac and Broadband. And that I don't want
to find myself in the same boat a few months down the line!
As this is very OT for urg, people may prefer to email me at

TIA for any help winging this way.
--
Sacha
www.hillhouse.nursery.co.uk.

Old 18-03-2006, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote
Wanadoo has suddenly informed me that it will no longer be providing
newsgroup access. Two alternative newsreaders have been suggested,
both of which require a monthly payment. Needless to say, I will not
be taking up those offers.
However, if I'm going to change ISP, which clearly I need to do, I need
to do so quickly as we are re-printing Nursery literature. I would
very much welcome polite suggestions as to which ISP to change to,
bearing in mind that I have a Mac and Broadband. And that I don't want
to find myself in the same boat a few months down the line!

Personally i would stick with Wanadoo and just use
http://news.individual.net for the Ngs, they only charge 10 euros once per
year which is nothing considering how good they are. No binaries though.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-03-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hugh Jampton

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:24:17 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

Personally i would stick with Wanadoo and just use
http://news.individual.net for the Ngs, they only charge 10 euros once per
year which is nothing considering how good they are. No binaries though.

Agreed 100%

NIN is *very* good. I've used them for years - haven't bothered with ISP's
unreliable news servers for a long time.

Go for NIN Sacha - you won't regret it.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 18-03-2006, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Greenfingers???

can't you access through GOOGLE?

Old 19-03-2006, 06:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wanadoo has suddenly informed me that it will no longer be providing
newsgroup access. Two alternative newsreaders have been suggested,
both of which require a monthly payment. Needless to say, I will not
be taking up those offers.

http://news.individual.net costs ten euros a year and the service is very good.
I think the days of free stuff on the net are drawing to a close :~))

Old 19-03-2006, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I use Google, and that costs nothing!!!

Old 19-03-2006, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

michael adams wrote:

[email protected](munged naturally).nursery.co.uk

will already be doing the trick there Derek. You get the email addresses
along with the domain name.

OK, it was Sacha who said it needed sorting before brochures were
printed. PlusNet are quite happy for you to bring your domain name (and
email addresses) with you!
Old 19-03-2006, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Greenfingers???" wrote in message
oups.com...

can't you access through GOOGLE?

Google is a web portal. You're posting your replies
through their website. Which they then post to all the
NewsServers. And you're reading posts through
their website as well.

Google are useful because they maintain the Usenet
archive.

However, compared with Google which is becoming increasingly
cluttered with unwanted "features" posting through Usenet -
using a NewsReader such as Outlook Express duck and a good
NewsServer such as news.individual (7 eros a year) is far
quicker and slicker when it comes to arranging the messages
on your screen etc. for one. You can arrange them as you
like etc. And you only need download message headings and
the download and read the ones you like - and even filter
out the headers before they reach you.

Google is useful though if you want to post while away from
your computer at home - on holiday for instance. Not that you'd
imagine many people would but it can make a change providing
you keep an eye on the bill.

michael adams

Old 19-03-2006, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wanadoo has suddenly informed me that it will no longer be providing
newsgroup access. Two alternative newsreaders have been suggested,
both of which require a monthly payment. Needless to say, I will not
be taking up those offers.
However, if I'm going to change ISP, which clearly I need to do, I need
to do so quickly as we are re-printing Nursery literature.

Sacha if whoever is hosting your www.hillhouse(munged.nursery.co.uk.

website offers POP3 mailboxes which they should, then your email
address to print on the brochures should be .

This will say the same whichever provider you choose to host the
website providing they offer POP 3 mailboxes which they all
should.

You should be able to set up a mail account on your computer right
now with
. address and people should
be able to send you emails to that. The "info" is the default
address where the is only one mailbox provided. If there's more
than one then you can call them anyting you like sacha@hill.....
joe@hill ...same as you already do with your garden506 account.

Ask this computer literate relative to explain it all too you
when you see them.

Your website should already have POP3 maiboxes provided.

I would
very much welcome polite suggestions as to which ISP to change to,
bearing in mind that I have a Mac and Broadband.

If you subscribe to News.individual at 10 euros a year, as has been
overwhelmingly endorsed elsewhere there's no need to move anyway.

michael adams

Old 19-03-2006, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

[email protected](munged naturally).nursery.co.uk

will already be doing the trick there Derek. You get the email addresses
along with the domain name.

OK, it was Sacha who said it needed sorting before brochures were
printed. PlusNet are quite happy for you to bring your domain name (and
email addresses) with you!

Okey Dokey.

michael adams

Old 19-03-2006, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

michael adams wrote:

[email protected](munged naturally).nursery.co.uk

will already be doing the trick there Derek. You get the email addresses
along with the domain name. The only disadvantage (for some people) being
that by looking up the domain registration on a "Whois" lookup site,
recipients of emails can obtain a postal address and maybe a telephone no.*
for the sender Although there are ways around that.

For .uk addresses, private individuals can opt out of having their
contact details listed in the public whois database. Corporate
registrations can't opt out, but then that's probably not a major
deal.

* one disadvantage being, that this can get you onto telephone cold calling
lists. An even worse plague than spam.

I have all my phone numbers listed with the TPS. IME that seems to
work pretty well.

James
Old 19-03-2006, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Tonks

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've moved to Individual.net and it seems fine - much faster downloads than
wanadoo, doesn't seem to have loaded most of the junk that's been plaguing
this group lately and at 10 euros (just over 7 quid) a year it's cheap
enough.

The only problem I have with it that it won't display the names of any
newsgroups except for this one and uk.rec.walking, which are the two I was
subscribed to with Wanadoo. When I refresh the names it ways it's
downloading thousands of the things but only the two are then displayed in
the 'all groups' list. Odd!

Neil.

Old 19-03-2006, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Use news.infoave.net

Seems to work just fine.

TM

Old 19-03-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:34:43 +0000, Neil Tonks wrote
(in article ):

"michael adams" wrote in message

snip

If you subscribe to News.individual at 10 euros a year, as has been
overwhelmingly endorsed elsewhere there's no need to move anyway.

I've moved to Individual.net and it seems fine - much faster downloads than
wanadoo, doesn't seem to have loaded most of the junk that's been plaguing
this group lately and at 10 euros (just over 7 quid) a year it's cheap
enough.

The only problem I have with it that it won't display the names of any
newsgroups except for this one and uk.rec.walking, which are the two I was
subscribed to with Wanadoo. When I refresh the names it ways it's
downloading thousands of the things but only the two are then displayed in
the 'all groups' list. Odd!

I'm also with NIN and have no problems with displaying thousands of
newsgroups if I want. I see you are using Outlook Express, which I don't
use, but I think you'll find this is something in your OE settings rather
than NIN. Is the All Groups list perhaps just the "All Subscribed Groups"
list?

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 19-03-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Neil Tonks" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message

oups.com...

.

[...]

I've noticed you're posting through Outlook Express ?

When you first log on, after subscribing to News.individual
it will download thousands of names into your own NewsGroup
names cache on your computer. You also get the chance
to download any new names at\after 12.00 midnight

This is so that if you want to search for a new group
you don't have to download the names all over again.
This may take a few minutes.

Once they're all downloaded in Outlook Express -

In the main Outlook Express Window

From the top menu choose [Tools]

From the dropdown menu choose [NewsGroups]

This will bring up the NewSGroup Subscriptions dialogue Box
which should show the full list of NewsGroup names
you downloaded.

To subscribe to a NewsGroup on the list highlight it
with a left mouse click, then click on the [subscribe]
button on the right. To load another one repeat
the process scrolling down the list as necessary.

When you've finished your selections click [OK] before
leaving. It's maybe important to remember to do this.

Then select the newly created folder for the NewsGroup
in the OE left hand pane - and choose [Tools] from
the top menu and then [Get the next 300 headers]

You can also search for newsgroups in the Display
newsgroups pane at the top of the NewsGroups dialogue
box using
wildcards. So entering *.uk - [return] will show
a list of all the uk NewsGroups. Then subscribe as
before.

michael adams

Plant ID welcomed Sacha United Kingdom 11 17-08-2007 07:37 AM
Orchid Chats - 8PM Daily - All are welcomed - no account needed [email protected] Orchids 0 11-12-2005 05:20 PM
A Welcomed Visitor RichardS United Kingdom 10 23-06-2005 01:15 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 9 23-01-2004 06:12 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:48 PM