Old 13-06-2005, 10:50 AM
RichardS

Default A Welcomed Visitor

Got a bit of a surprise when I went down to close the kitchen doors last
Thursday....

http://www.olifant.co.uk/Olifant/Pub...ks/RSAN-6D8A55

This was a bit of a welcomed find, because in the five years that we've been
in Twickenham I've seen a year-on-year increase in the amount of wildlife
about. When we first moved here I was rather struck by the singlular lack
of birds (other than pigeons) in an area that is, by London standards,
covered by a lot of greenery. Other than foxes and the occasional curious
rat we hadn't seen any other wildlife, so a hedgehog was a very welcomed
resident. It also explains the reduction in snails and slugs that I've
noticed over the past couple of weeks.

Our cat did what any self-respecting 18 year old cat would do... sit under
the table & watch with dismay as the whole sorry spectacle unfolded.

Now, to encourage him/her to stick around we'll put out some supplemental
food - tinned dog food is normally recommended (and if we can find something
that the cat doesn't like then so much the better). I'm sure I've read that
fish-based foods must be completely avoided, but the St Tiggiwinkles site
didn't say anything on that issue. Anyone know?

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 13-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:50:21 +0100, "RichardS"
wrote:

[...]

One tip is to place a heavy dish or saucer over any food you put out
for hedgehogs. This dissuades cats etc from pinching it - but the
hedgehog will muscle the lid off to gain access.

I've found though that the best way to keep hedgehogs ( because they
tend to range quite far in their travels ) is to provide the right
habitat. If you want to go the whole hog ( ahem ), you could dig in a
nest box.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 13-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Emrys Davies

"RichardS" wrote in message
[...]

It is strongly recommended the you do not feed hedgehogs a fish based
product or milk.

To stop other animals taking the hedgehog's food I have built a brick
tunnel (five bricks long) which is covered with roofing tiles. There is
a bulge in the centre of the tunnel to receive the food container and
the entrances are just large enough for a hedgehog to enter.

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Old 13-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Paul

RichardS wrote:

[...]

You could always get 'spikes dinner'
http://www.spikesite.co.uk/spikesDinner/ which is a off the shelf
hedgehog food. I used to get it from the pet shop when I spent a few
year rehabilitating hedgehogs from the rescue centre.

Paul
Old 13-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Kay

In article , RichardS
writes

Now, to encourage him/her to stick around we'll put out some supplemental
food - tinned dog food is normally recommended (and if we can find something
that the cat doesn't like then so much the better).

Cat food rather than dogfood - it's reputedly better quality with higher
meat content (cats are fussier than dogs) Put a box over it with a
hedgehog-sized hole, and a weight on top to stop it being moved - I
knocked together a box from wood which i weighted down with a brick. The
cat will do its utmost to stretch its paw inside and scoop out the food,
so make sure the box is big enough.

CJ Birdfoods sell a dried hedgehog food which cats don't like. Not sure
that its immune from birds, though.

To see shat actually gets your hog food, you can make a 'footprint trap'
by using a candle to smoke a sheet of aluminium foil and placing the
food on that. In the morning you will have an array of footprints, slug
tracks, and slithery marks from contorting cats.

I'm sure I've read that
fish-based foods must be completely avoided, but the St Tiggiwinkles site
didn't say anything on that issue. Anyone know?

Yes, avoid fish. Not sure why, but avoid the fish based cat foods.

--
Kay

Old 13-06-2005, 04:47 PM
pammyT

--"RichardS" wrote in message
[...]

It needs to be tinned cat food not dog food as the cat food contains
proper meat but the dog food contains mostly low grade soya protein. Hedge
pigs, like cats, are obligate carnivores and need proper meat.

Old 13-06-2005, 04:48 PM
pammyT

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , RichardS
writes

[...]

Also provide clean drinking water especially during dry spells.

Old 13-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

I'm sure I've read that
fish-based foods must be completely avoided, but the St Tiggiwinkles site
didn't say anything on that issue. Anyone know?

Yes, avoid fish. Not sure why, but avoid the fish based cat foods.

And any milk or milk products.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-06-2005, 06:26 PM
RichardS

"RichardS" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

Put out a dish of chicken-based cat fud last night, with a plate for a lid
as suggested. Heard the lid go, so looked outside, and of course had to
chase away mr fox (now christened "Wile E. Coyote") ... twice.

So, next suggestion quickly taken up - built a small feeding-tunnel, 2 1/2
bricks long, 2 bricks high, topped with a board & weighted with a heavy
parasol stand (all safe & no chance of collapse - tested it thoroughly).

Dish in middle, topped with the plate lid again.

Working late last night, heard the lid being pushed off again. This
morning, dish completely empty. So, good chance the hedgehog's still
around - I'll try the smoked tin foil tonight just to check that it isn't a
small cat or a rat that's managed to get under there.

We intend to encourage him/her to stick around. The slug & snail population
has been decimated recently, and that's good news for me & the garden (I was
just on the verge of giving in, and reluctantly using slug pellets)!

Oh, will make sure some fresh water is left around too.

Old 14-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Emrys Davies

"RichardS" wrote in message

"RichardS" wrote in message
[...]

Five brick lengths is a minimum for the tunnel otherwise a fox will
scoop out the food with its quite long front leg. I actually saw a fox
trying to do this whilst lying on its side.

The plate which you put on top will definitely not deter a fox and the
fact that it was removed indicates that it was not a hedghog that
removed it. The latter would have used the tunnel.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 23-06-2005, 01:15 AM
Warwick

RichardS wrote:
[...]

Work send Tiggywigs a few hundred cases a year of the dog food we make.
I'll ask our lab folk what is recommended in the morning. I'm fairly
sure that quite a lot of checking was done before helping out. I'm not
going to name the brand, but we seem to be best known for involving
Tripe and a lack of additives and preservatives.

I'm trying to catch up with the froup and only have a week or so to go.
Reading about cold and damp problems is interesting with a fortnight's
hindsight.

Warwick

Plant ID welcomed Sacha United Kingdom 11 17-08-2007 07:37 AM
OT Server advice welcomed Sacha United Kingdom 17 20-03-2006 03:45 PM
Orchid Chats - 8PM Daily - All are welcomed - no account needed [email protected] Orchids 0 11-12-2005 05:20 PM
OT urg visitor? Sacha United Kingdom 23 30-05-2004 09:07 PM
Pond visitor :-) Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 3 16-06-2003 08:00 PM