Old 17-08-2007, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing Cabbages (and Sprouts, and Cauliflowers)

A couple of years ago, I saw a man who was growing beautiful cabbages on his
allotment. Seeing that the cabbages he was growing this year looked equally
as good, my curiosity finally overcame me and I asked him how he grew him.
What he told me, I, now, pass on to those interested.

There may be many on this newsgroup who already do the same or have an even
better method and that would be interesting to gear about.

I would welcome comments and suggestions (all polite, of course!) as I
intend to do this with my cabbages this winter and, if successful, next
spring.

He digs a hole deep enough for the cabbage and stirs in a small handful of
lime - the young cabbage plant is then planted as normal.

He cuts a length of 8" from a standard rainwater down-pipe (about 2 1/2""
dia).

This he gently threads over the cabbage, pushing the pipe about half-way
into the soil.

Finally he pours into the tube another small handful of lime and tops the
whole thing up with water.

His cabbages are always a good size but are as steady as a rock in the
ground, with a thick stem/stalk and he claims that that is the reason for
the quality of his cabbages -they don't rock in the wind. He also waters via
the pipe which he says ensures that the water goes where it's needed.

He uses the same method for his sprouts, cauliflowers, and sprouting
broccoli.

Would this method do away with the need for cabbage collars - because of the
depth of the pipe in the ground acting as a barrier to the cabbage root fly
larvae?

Regards,

John

Old 17-08-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
[...]

What about slugs?

Mary

Old 17-08-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/8/07 19:45, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

[...]

What about snipping! Unnecessary gaps between the OP's paragraphs and a
one line reply at the end. How irritating to scroll down for that.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-08-2007, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What about snipping! Unnecessary gaps between the OP's paragraphs and a
one line reply at the end. How irritating to scroll down for that.

--
Sacha

Snipping like that?

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 17-08-2007, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote ((Snip))
[...]

Interesting method which obviously works, myself I simply lime all our
brassica very bed well each year, two 25Kg bags per annum, (it would have
been manured well the year before for the spuds) and we don't have any
problems with the growing of cabbages etc.
Regarding Cabbage Root Fly, the usual barrier is one around the stem right
on top of the soil, I don';t think this fly is like the carrot one that
won't rise up very high.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-08-2007, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Bob,

I thought it was a good idea because the chap's cabbages and broccoli were
solid in the ground, with no supports apart from the tube, and the
stem/stalk of each plant was perfectly straight and quite thick and,
obviously, gave a good support to the head.

I'm relatively new to gardening and am always looking for the correct and/or
the best method with all crops - it's one of the things I find fascinating
about gardening - I always want to learn more.

Regarding Cabbage Root Fly, I wasn't thinking of this pest flying over the
tube to lay its larvae inside but rather of the larvae being laid outside
the tube, in the soil, but then burrowing underground, quite happily, as
normal, until each one bangs its head on the plastic wall! But, then, I
suppose, the larvae will burrow deeper than the 4" of tube buried in the
ground - or do they? I must read up on the Cabbage Root Fly. Normally, I buy
or make the small cabbage root fly mats but I wondered if this method would
make these mats unnecessary.

As Mary suggested, it just might stop slugs but then they may be able to
climb a 4" plastic wall - I really don't know.

Also, I've seen slugs in potatoes, which were underground, so does that mean
that the larvae would have no problem going under the 4" tube buried in the
ground to get at the roots? Of course, the chap on the allotment says that
hasn't had this problems in the three years he's been using this method -
but he may just have been lucky.

Normally, Bob, I do what you do (or very similar) and the main trouble is
wind (not me, personally, but the plants! (lol). The allotments have an
almost permanent south-westeerly breeze which is often far more than just a
breeze. As a result, I stake the most vulnerable plants and buld up soil
around the stem/stalk to give additional support.

Regards,

John

Old 18-08-2007, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message

As Mary suggested, it just might stop slugs but then they may be able to
climb a 4" plastic wall - I really don't know.

No, I didn't suggest that it might stop slugs, slugs are my greatest problem
with brassica and I wondered if this method might work some magic with them
too :-)

A 4" vertical plastic wall wouldn't be a barrier to any slug, I've seen them
on the first story wall of our house and they're often found on the garage
roof and the greenhouse roof too, both inside and out.

Mary

Old 18-08-2007, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, of course, Mary, so have I, come to think of it! I've seen them way up
the wall in old sheds and on the roof in my garage - and on top of the
plastic sheets that my topsoil has come in.

There's been so much rain about that I've got water on the brain - perhaps I
need a tap on the head!?

Regards,

John

t...

Old 18-08-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote
I thought it was a good idea because the chap's cabbages and broccoli were
solid in the ground, with no supports apart from the tube, and the
stem/stalk of each plant was perfectly straight and quite thick and,
obviously, gave a good support to the head.

Cabbages, Cauliflowers and Broccolli don't need any support normally
although it's true they can lean over a touch which is only a problem for
those who like their rows perfectly straight. We have never even staked our
winter Cauliflowers/Broccolli/Cabbages. Sprouts are another situation
alltogether, they often do need staking and certainly would on a windy site.

I'm relatively new to gardening and am always looking for the correct
and/or the best method with all crops - it's one of the things I find
fascinating about gardening - I always want to learn more.

There are usually as many "correct" methods of growing anything as there are
days in the year. :-)
Provided you comply with any specific plant requirements, anything else is
what works for you.

Regarding Cabbage Root Fly, I wasn't thinking of this pest flying over the
tube to lay its larvae inside but rather of the larvae being laid outside
the tube, in the soil, but then burrowing underground, quite happily, as
normal, until each one bangs its head on the plastic wall! But, then, I
suppose, the larvae will burrow deeper than the 4" of tube buried in the
ground - or do they? I must read up on the Cabbage Root Fly. Normally, I
buy or make the small cabbage root fly mats but I wondered if this method
would make these mats unnecessary.

I thought they landed on the plant and walked down the stem to the ground
where they laid their eggs.

As Mary suggested, it just might stop slugs but then they may be able to
climb a 4" plastic wall - I really don't know.

Only a copper ring around each plant would stop slugs/snails and then when
the plants grew and the leaves touched the ground outside the ring the
little blighters would invade. Must admit we don't get that much problem
with slugs on the brassicas, whitefly is another problem though.

Also, I've seen slugs in potatoes, which were underground, so does that
mean that the larvae would have no problem going under the 4" tube buried
in the ground to get at the roots? Of course, the chap on the allotment
says that hasn't had this problems in the three years he's been using this
method - but he may just have been lucky.

The slugs that attack spuds are ground dwelling, like worms.

Normally, Bob, I do what you do (or very similar) and the main trouble is
wind (not me, personally, but the plants! (lol). The allotments have an
almost permanent south-westeerly breeze which is often far more than just
a breeze. As a result, I stake the most vulnerable plants and buld up soil
around the stem/stalk to give additional support.

In that case try your friends method if it works on your site, all brassicas
like to be firm in the ground so anything that makes them move about is bad
for them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-08-2007, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Yes, of course, Mary, so have I, come to think of it! I've seen them way
up the wall in old sheds and on the roof in my garage - and on top of the
plastic sheets that my topsoil has come in.

There's been so much rain about that I've got water on the brain - perhaps
I need a tap on the head!?

I've taken to wearing pumps and hose.

Mary

Old 18-08-2007, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Yes, of course, Mary, so have I, come to think of it! I've seen them way
up the wall in old sheds and on the roof in my garage - and on top of the
plastic sheets that my topsoil has come in.

There's been so much rain about that I've got water on the brain -
perhaps I need a tap on the head!?

I've taken to wearing pumps and hose.

I trust you have a tap in the right place!

Old 18-08-2007, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Yes, of course, Mary, so have I, come to think of it! I've seen them way
up the wall in old sheds and on the roof in my garage - and on top of
the plastic sheets that my topsoil has come in.

There's been so much rain about that I've got water on the brain -
perhaps I need a tap on the head!?

I've taken to wearing pumps and hose.

I trust you have a tap in the right place!

I don't smoke a pipe ...

Mary

Brussell Sprouts with no Sprouts! [email protected] Gardening 6 07-09-2008 11:26 PM
Growing Cabbages beamer United Kingdom 6 18-05-2008 02:09 PM
Container Cabbages and Sprouts! Derek White United Kingdom 4 25-02-2007 11:00 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy Gardening 2 26-04-2006 04:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy North Carolina 1 20-04-2006 11:45 PM