Old 31-08-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blasted blackfly

Our Dahlia excelsa (present from David Hill) has had a real blackfly attack.
I was walking past it this afternoon and saw twisted and 'sad' leaves and
then, further up this very tall Dahlia, several stems and leaves infested
with the critters. I don't remember it suffering like this before and as
there are loads of sparrows nesting in the eaves above it, I think the
ungrateful little devils better get to work!
Ray has sprayed it with an organic spray, so we will inspect again tomorrow.
Is this a particularly bad year for blackfly in others' gardens?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-08-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Our Dahlia excelsa (present from David Hill) has had a real blackfly
attack.
I was walking past it this afternoon and saw twisted and 'sad' leaves and
then, further up this very tall Dahlia, several stems and leaves infested
with the critters. I don't remember it suffering like this before and as
there are loads of sparrows nesting in the eaves above it, I think the
ungrateful little devils better get to work!
Ray has sprayed it with an organic spray, so we will inspect again
tomorrow.
Is this a particularly bad year for blackfly in others' gardens?

I had some on my runner beans, but I haven't really done any more checks to
follow it up.

Old 31-08-2007, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/8/07 18:53, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Our Dahlia excelsa (present from David Hill) has had a real blackfly
attack.
I was walking past it this afternoon and saw twisted and 'sad' leaves and
then, further up this very tall Dahlia, several stems and leaves infested
with the critters. I don't remember it suffering like this before and as
there are loads of sparrows nesting in the eaves above it, I think the
ungrateful little devils better get to work!
Ray has sprayed it with an organic spray, so we will inspect again
tomorrow.
Is this a particularly bad year for blackfly in others' gardens?

I had some on my runner beans, but I haven't really done any more checks to
follow it up.

They love broad beans too, don't they?

Old 31-08-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My dahlias are smothered in black fly too.
Mel,.

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 31/8/07 18:53, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

. uk...

Old 31-08-2007, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I had some on my runner beans, but I haven't really done any more checks to
| follow it up.
|
| They love broad beans too, don't they?

Yes. They rarely cause much trouble to Phaseolus species - the odd
patch, but that is all. It might have to do with the time of year,
of course.

I have had a few, but they seem mostly to have gone west :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-08-2007, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 31/8/07 18:53, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Our Dahlia excelsa (present from David Hill) has had a real blackfly
attack.
I was walking past it this afternoon and saw twisted and 'sad' leaves
and
then, further up this very tall Dahlia, several stems and leaves
infested
with the critters. I don't remember it suffering like this before and
as
there are loads of sparrows nesting in the eaves above it, I think the
ungrateful little devils better get to work!
Ray has sprayed it with an organic spray, so we will inspect again
tomorrow.
Is this a particularly bad year for blackfly in others' gardens?

I had some on my runner beans, but I haven't really done any more checks
follow it up.

They love broad beans too, don't they?

Spraying them with washing-up liquid seems to put them off!

Old 31-08-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:32:58 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

Spraying them with washing-up liquid seems to put them off!

How's, Joyce, Alan?

Does she know about your past history on usenet?

Old 01-09-2007, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Spraying them with washing-up liquid seems to put them off!

How's, Joyce, Alan?

Does she know about your past history on usenet?

For the first year I have also had them on runner beans, though
strangely they have confined themselves to just one plant, so I left
them alone. The big problem for me are that they absolutely infest the
young shoots of my fan trained Stella cherry stunting all new growth,
result very few cherries. Any suggestions for help there will be most
welcome.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bad infestation on annual cosmos and venidium, but none on dahlias planted
in same bed here in midlands , weird?
No sign of any greenfly or whitefly at all, except very early in spring.
Perhaps late coolness in spring, coupled with loadsa rain kept green/white
fly down in breeding season, perhaps dahlias have had time to harden up
before the green/white fly have attacked. Just a theory.
regards
Cineman

regards
Gordon
. uk...

Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Our Dahlia excelsa (present from David Hill) has had a real blackfly
attack.
I was walking past it this afternoon and saw twisted and 'sad' leaves and
then, further up this very tall Dahlia, several stems and leaves infested
with the critters. I don't remember it suffering like this before and as
there are loads of sparrows nesting in the eaves above it, I think the
ungrateful little devils better get to work!
Ray has sprayed it with an organic spray, so we will inspect again
tomorrow.
Is this a particularly bad year for blackfly in others' gardens?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

I've just had a couple of stems with small clusters. I tend to use a
domestic Pyrethroid fly spray to spot treat these, not worth mixing
for 2 or 3 stems.

Sacha, your dahlia is now in bud.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 02-09-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/9/07 16:45, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

[...]

Could you take a pic and let us see how it turns out, David? Is it outside
or in a greenhouse? Your D. excelsa is looking wonderful, apart from the
blackfly. I've put seed feeders near it in the hope the birds will take the
hint and the blackfly!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 31 Aug, 18:03, Sacha wrote:
Our Dahlia excelsa (present from David Hill) has had a real blackfly attack.
I was walking past it this afternoon and saw twisted and 'sad' leaves and
then, further up this very tall Dahlia, several stems and leaves infested
with the critters. I don't remember it suffering like this before and as
there are loads of sparrows nesting in the eaves above it, I think the
ungrateful little devils better get to work!
Ray has sprayed it with an organic spray, so we will inspect again tomorrow.
Is this a particularly bad year for blackfly in others' gardens?

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

It is just showing colour in the bud at present Sacha, as are several
others including some of this years seedlings,
Will take pics and post them.
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Blasted mice Broadback United Kingdom 20 17-02-2007 05:45 PM
Oh, shucks! My paph malipoense bud-blasted :-( J Fortuna Orchids 9 25-08-2006 02:25 AM
help - blasted squirrels garden virgin United Kingdom 14 01-05-2006 11:57 AM
Those Blasted Junipers Iris Cohen Plant Science 3 08-12-2003 09:42 PM
Aargh! Blasted Orchids! Diana Kulaga Orchids 4 08-03-2003 09:25 PM