Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default hedge plant

Saw a rather smart hedge put in by professional gardeners. Under the laws
of 'gardeners license' I later borrowed some tiny clippings, which are the
seven alongside the left edge of the window box in the tinypic webpage
below.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mwczfm

Could anyone identify this plant for me please? Many thanks.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:21:21 +0100, johngood_____ wrote
(in article ):

Saw a rather smart hedge put in by professional gardeners. Under the laws
of 'gardeners license' I later borrowed some tiny clippings, which are the
seven alongside the left edge of the window box in the tinypic webpage
below.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mwczfm

Could anyone identify this plant for me please? Many thanks.

It isn't that clear a picture, but could it be laurel?
Picture he
http://www.english-country-garden.com/a/i/flowers/cherry-laurel-5.jpg

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 02-09-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:21:21 +0100, johngood_____ wrote
(in article ):

Saw a rather smart hedge put in by professional gardeners. Under the
laws
of 'gardeners license' I later borrowed some tiny clippings, which are
the
seven alongside the left edge of the window box in the tinypic webpage
below.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mwczfm

Could anyone identify this plant for me please? Many thanks.

It isn't that clear a picture, but could it be laurel?
Picture he
http://www.english-country-garden.com/a/i/flowers/cherry-laurel-5.jpg

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Thanks for your response. I should have put a coin in to help identify the
size, since the leaves are very much smaller than most laurels I have ever
seen. The leaves are quite small with the biggest only being 30mm long and
12mm wide and most being a lot smaller than that. The hedge was about four
and half feet tall. I initially made me think it was some kind of
cotoneaster. Grateful for any further advice.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/9/07 10:20, in article ,
"johngood_____" wrote:

[...]

Could it be a hebe? How tall is the original hedge you saw and do you know
how old it is?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Sep, 10:20, "johngood_____" wrote:
Thanks for your response. I should have put a coin in to help identify the
size, since the leaves are very much smaller than most laurels I have ever
seen. The leaves are quite small with the biggest only being 30mm long and
12mm wide and most being a lot smaller than that. The hedge was about four
and half feet tall. I initially made me think it was some kind of
cotoneaster. Grateful for any further advice.

Looks like you've got a yew cutting at the front ... you've got almost
a hedge there!! Did you see any berries or flowers on the hedge when
you took your cuttings? I'd say between buxus or lonicera and
definetely not laurel. Not sure until you tell us if you've seen
berries/flowers and what colour. It's usually easier to identify
things with this info.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood_____" wrote in message

[...]

Cotoneaster is possiblility or maybe Box were there any thorns on the
original hedge?
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...FRcGEgodi07IZw

Derek

Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood_____" wrote in message
Saw a rather smart hedge put in by professional gardeners. Under the laws
of 'gardeners license' I later borrowed some tiny clippings, which are

the
seven alongside the left edge of the window box in the tinypic webpage
below.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mwczfm

Could anyone identify this plant for me please? Many thanks.

Well there is more than one type of plant in there but the only hedge plant
I recognised was yew.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 2, 10:38 am, Sacha wrote:
On 2/9/07 10:20, in article ,

"johngood_____" wrote:

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
ual.net...
[...]

I go with that (Hebe leaves have a funny characteristic boat shape
shape/fold).

Des

Old 03-09-2007, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Sep, 12:18, Des Higgins wrote:
I go with that (Hebe leaves have a funny characteristic boat shape
shape/fold).

It's easy to just say 'hebe' - there's so many of them. Just like
saying 'laurel'. The hebe fransciscana for example has leaves
resembling no other hebes, at least the more common ones with the
little boat shaped glossy leaves as you say, nor does the hebe white
lace, which is long and narrow and flat. And what about the
andersonii?

I still think it's either a privet or buxus - I thought of a lonicera
too - can't think which one thought.