Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ged Ged is offline

Default Railway Sleepers ?

Looking for a supplier of cheap railway sleepers, any ideas ?

Old 03-09-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ged" wrote in message
Looking for a supplier of cheap railway sleepers, any ideas ?

Might it not be a good idea to say where you are in the UK?

Delivery to the Isle of Skye from Bristol may, ''''just may,''' make it
tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive for you ;-))

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

Old 03-09-2007, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ged Ged is offline

North Herts - South Beds aerea please ?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ged" wrote in message
North Herts - South Beds aerea please ?

:-)

Old 03-09-2007, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ged" wrote in message
Looking for a supplier of cheap railway sleepers, any ideas ?

Do you want real hardwood sleepers or ....

Many garden centers places sell treated softwood blocks of wood the "same"
size as a sleeper but they have never been near a train. These can be
cheaper than recycled oak sleepers. For example many garden centers and
Builders merchants sell wood products from "Forest"...

http://www.forestgarden.co.uk
http://www.forestgarden.co.uk/prodPages2007/rsnc.asp

This place has the real deal...

http://www.railwaysleeper.com/
http://www.railwaysleeper.com/railwa...on%20table.htm

They have 20 different types of sleeper.. Everything from £17 to £56 each
depending on the grade and woodspecies. Oak sleepers are very expensive but
then all oak is expensive.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ged wrote:
Looking for a supplier of cheap railway sleepers, any ideas ?

Looking myself recently try ecofire, this was a quote for 10 sleepers
but I haven't gone ahead yet

Item: 2.6 metre grade A reclaimed used railway sleepers (260136605906)
This message was sent after the listing closed.
ecofire-org is the seller.

Delivery to LU5 4PW would be twenty five pounds plus v.a.t. Total price
delivered including v.a.t. is one hundred and ninety nine pounds seventy
five pence, contact numbers office 01604 862261 Regards Keith
Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I forgot to mention that old creosoted railway sleepers should not be used
for areas where people may sit or children play. Creosote is now banned for
most applications (mildly carcinogenic I think). It also leeches out in hot
weather and makes a right mess of clothes.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"CWatters" writes:

| I forgot to mention that old creosoted railway sleepers should not be used
| for areas where people may sit or children play. Creosote is now banned for
| most applications (mildly carcinogenic I think). It also leeches out in hot
| weather and makes a right mess of clothes.

That is misleading. Creosote is somewhat carcinogenic and is banned, but
it is nothing like as harmful as is made out. And it does NOT leach out
of OLD sleepers significantly, because it has already done so as much
as it will do. It is only the new, imitation and imported, ones that
do that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.