Old 04-09-2007, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Feature keeping clean

Hi

I have a water feature and am struggling to keep the water clear.

I usually just let the hose run into the feature to flush the old
water out and replace, as it is very heavy and difficult to empty. It
is not shaded so I guess this causes a lot of the water
discolouration. I have to keep topping the feature up, particularly
this time of year as the water level drops.

Can I ask the best additive that I could use to keep the water clear?

Vince

Old 04-09-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 08:06:57 +0100, The Retired Punk wrote
(in article .com):

Hi

I have a water feature and am struggling to keep the water clear.

I usually just let the hose run into the feature to flush the old
water out and replace, as it is very heavy and difficult to empty. It
is not shaded so I guess this causes a lot of the water
discolouration. I have to keep topping the feature up, particularly
this time of year as the water level drops.

Can I ask the best additive that I could use to keep the water clear?

Depends what you mean exactly by a water feature. If your water feature is
pumped and the water circulated, you could add a UV light which does indeed
keep the water clear (but not if you are talking about blanket weed). It is
important to have a powerful enough UV light for the volume of water going
through.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 09-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Registered User

There are some organic treatments available on the internet or at your garden centres that allow you to keep on top of this, but Sally is right - it will depend on what type of water feature you have!!

The treatments are best for smaller self-contained water features but may not be so effective in larger ponds.

I did see a clever system that uses dyes to colour the water cutting out the light available for algae but can't seem to find it again!

Ewan
www.ukwaterfeatures.com