Old 02-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Registered User

Default Keeping a water feature clean

Hi - not technically a pond but not sure where else to post so apologies if not relevant - just tell me....

I have a water feature that includes a waterfall coming through a sleeper dropping about 50cm onto large stones and then into the liner which is about 40cm deep. About 10cm below the top of the liner is a metal grill that is used to support additional stones. This creates quite a nice overall effect.

For water pumping/filtration I have a small pump in the liner and a hozelock 4500UK filter embedded into the ground just behind the waterfall.

This all works just fine except for the stones keep getting green slime. I have just emptied the whole thing and am cleaning the stones before geting this all setup again. Any suggestions as to how I can keep the green slime away? My thoughts so far:

1 - have a fine net under the stones so I can periodically remove them and lift out the net + whatever leaves etc may have fallen in and started to decompose.
2 - have my daughter more frequently collect the leaves etc from the stones!
3 - use a chemical of some kind to help breakdown the leaves etc - I brought something from the garden centre to do this - must find that.

As there are no fish and little chance of birdlife I don't mind using chemicals etc. All ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Adam
Old 02-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

For water pumping/filtration I have a small pump in the liner and a hozelock 4500UK filter embedded into the ground just behind the waterfall.
Should have been 4500UV - Ultra violet
Old 02-03-2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 10:31:58 CST, Stylo
wrote:

As there are no fish and little chance of birdlife I don't mind using
chemicals etc. All ideas appreciated.

I'd simplify the filter a bit, so it would be more of a strainer that
is easier to clean and treat it like a pool, with pool (type)
chemicals. Even if you have birds, during warm weather, you can put
in a chlorine bleach at night and the birds aren't bothered by it the
next day. I have a yard fountain 30gal and I use a cricket bait
bucket to filter the pump and I use a bit of laundry bleach when
needed. The birds use mine and there is no way I can keep it clean
without brooming out the basins and starting over with a new batch of
water.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 02-03-2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Treat it like a pool - use pool chemicals or plain laundry bleach - just add
enough to get the effect you want, don't just dump a jug in - my bird bath/
fountain only need about 1 cap full weekly ( holds about 5 to 10 gal of
water)
Gale :~)

Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Registered User

Great thanks for that - an effective and cheap solution!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

There are also algecides that would do the trick for you.

Jim

Old 14-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
This all works just fine except for the stones keep getting green slime. I have just emptied the whole thing and am cleaning the stones before geting this all setup again. Any suggestions as to how I can keep the green slime away? My thoughts so far:
Perhaps when the weather forecast is for hot, dry and low humidity, switch the waterfall off, let the area dry out for a day or two, long enough for the algae to dry out and die.

If you are a dab hand with calculating a safe ppm dose of copper sulphate and mist spray to damp the area of the drying algae only, leave it to soak in for a couple of days, that would really decimate the algae coating. Copper sulphate turns to inert copper carbonate after a couple of days.

The dried out cotton like debris would probably blast away easy with a harsh mist spray

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/

Rate This Thread: