Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mosquitos

On 7 Sep, 10:54, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

o encourage spiders. Destroy the webs daily using a feather brush, they will
then build new, more efficient ones in the dusk, ready for the mossies.

Fabulous idea. Thank you Uncle. My youngest shreeks to leave the flies
hanging around alone so that he can catch them to bring them onto a
spider web. I know ... he's a bit dark my youngest ...

o get an electric mossie killer. They really work, you put in a tablet and
plug it in the mains, it releases a gas which kills them (and also many
other smaller flies)
o get an electric swatter. Lots of fun.
o don't bother about mossie repellent. All it does is to mask your smell so
the mossies can't "see" you.

I lit lemon and lavender candles, made from pine resin, which I bring
back from home each year. I always have one on. Seems to work well
though - lemon is better than the citronella stuff, which smells
terrible I think.

o invite friends round, then the biting will be shared equally amongst you
all. They prefer blokes to women, cos blokes don't wear perfume (not the
ones I know, anyway).

))

o scented candles seem to help, outside. You need lots of them. I use lemon
ones cos they have proved to do more good than the citronella ones, and they
smell nicer.

Would you stop repeating what I've said!!! ;o)

There is a lady in Devon who makes them, can't remember her
name!

Mary makes candles, maybe she knows. Mary!?

Old 07-09-2007, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

They're called mortars. Warm them in the oven then wipe them out with
kitchen towel.

Thanks for that one!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 7, 10:54 am, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

o scented candles seem to help, outside. You need lots of them. I use lemon
ones cos they have proved to do more good than the citronella ones, and they
smell nicer.

What are citronella ones if not lemon?

Old 07-09-2007, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Sep, 13:17, adder1969 wrote:
What are citronella ones if not lemon?

It tells you what it is there - it's from a plant called Cymbopogon,
lemon grass. There's no mention of it being biocidal - but I think
that's why I don't really like it - it's very potent, almost
chemically smelly, if you know what I mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citronella_oil

Old 07-09-2007, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Sep, 15:30, Martin wrote:
AFAIR only DEET and Citronella were effective mosquito repellants in
scientifically conducted tests

What what?

Bee keeper's head gear/mosquitos Jacqueline Davidson Gardening 4 16-09-2003 11:32 AM
@#*%!^ mosquitos Phisherman Gardening 16 26-07-2003 09:12 AM
Mosquitos!!! Consumer Reports testing Magnet and Trap models... JayPomp Gardening 19 19-06-2003 02:08 PM
Mosquitos!!! Iris Cohen Gardening 0 18-06-2003 10:32 PM
OT - Mosquitos Are Coming! TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 01-02-2003 01:43 AM