Old 06-09-2007, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mosquitos

Hi all

Is it me or.........

For the past month, we seem to have been plagued by mossies.
Plagued is far too strong a word of course, but the night time ritual now
includes vacuuming upto a dozen of the things from around the bedroom (they
do infiltrate other rooms as well obviously).

Is there a known increase in numbers this year? Possibly due to wet weather
earlier in the year?

TIA

Phil

Old 06-09-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Sep, 15:57, "TheScullster" wrote:
Is it me or.........
For the past month, we seem to have been plagued by mossies.
Plagued is far too strong a word of course, but the night time ritual now
includes vacuuming upto a dozen of the things from around the bedroom (they
do infiltrate other rooms as well obviously).
Is there a known increase in numbers this year? Possibly due to wet weather
earlier in the year?

Hullo - how very strange you mention this - because sitting at my
computer last night I've perhaps swated half a dozen, and I wondered
too if either 'there was a time' for them - I can't recall having that
many especially now. Usually it's early summer and abroad! I have an
ecological calendar (a present) and I've just checked it on the net (I
don't have it here) to see if it was from the UK or USA because it
mentioned 'mossies time' was upon us indeed.

Though any findings I have are all from the States and not England.
I'm therefore like you wondering if it's because we've had lots of
rain. I'm from Manchester.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Perhaps they are french mossies? I was at a wooded camp site in the south of
france just over a week ago. Went armed with all the repellant gear and
never saw any.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote in message
Perhaps they are french mossies? I was at a wooded camp site in the south
of
france just over a week ago. Went armed with all the repellant gear and
never saw any.

As you are talking Mossies and getting rid of them, I love your name in
inverted commas ;-)

Brilliant

NOTE. If anyone is unable to see it, let me know:-))

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote in message
Perhaps they are french mossies? I was at a wooded camp site in the south
of
france just over a week ago. Went armed with all the repellant gear and
never saw any.

That is because they are all at our house in Normandy. Our electric fly
zapper has never been so busy. Zap, buzz, bang, fizz. Even had a moth on
fire in it the other day! French electricity must be potent stuff.

David.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Is it me or.........

For the past month, we seem to have been plagued by mossies.
Plagued is far too strong a word of course, but the night time ritual now
includes vacuuming upto a dozen of the things from around the bedroom
(they do infiltrate other rooms as well obviously).

Is there a known increase in numbers this year? Possibly due to wet
weather earlier in the year?

TIA

Phil

Funny you should say that, only this morning I was thinking that we haven't
had ANY mosquitoes this year. Usually I see the larvae under the surface of
the open dolly tub which acts as a butt at one side of the greenhouse but
there's been no sign in 2007.

Before anyone tells me, I put a few drops of oil on the surface of the water
when I see the larvae.

Mary
Leeds, Yorkshire

Old 06-09-2007, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
"CWatters" wrote in message
Perhaps they are french mossies? I was at a wooded camp site in the south
of
france just over a week ago. Went armed with all the repellant gear and
never saw any.

That is because they are all at our house in Normandy. Our electric fly
zapper has never been so busy. Zap, buzz, bang, fizz. Even had a moth on
fire in it the other day! French electricity must be potent stuff.

It's all that nuclear stuff, innit!

Mary

Old 06-09-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Is it me or.........

For the past month, we seem to have been plagued by mossies.
Plagued is far too strong a word of course, but the night time ritual
now includes vacuuming upto a dozen of the things from around the
bedroom (they do infiltrate other rooms as well obviously).

Is there a known increase in numbers this year? Possibly due to wet
weather earlier in the year?

more pools of standing water

pk

Old 06-09-2007, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote ...
For the past month, we seem to have been plagued by mossies.
Plagued is far too strong a word of course, but the night time ritual now
includes vacuuming upto a dozen of the things from around the bedroom
(they do infiltrate other rooms as well obviously).

Is there a known increase in numbers this year? Possibly due to wet
weather earlier in the year?

I too have considered this year to be low on Mossies, probably due to the
very wet weather earlier washing them away. Take a look around your garden
for buckets etc with water trapped in them where they can breed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-09-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

I too have considered this year to be low on Mossies, probably due to the
very wet weather earlier washing them away. Take a look around your garden
for buckets etc with water trapped in them where they can breed.

Bob

Dumb question, but if I find them, how do I get rid?

Phil

Old 07-09-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 08:58:06 +0100, TheScullster wrote
(in article ):

"Bob Hobden" wrote

I too have considered this year to be low on Mossies, probably due to the
very wet weather earlier washing them away. Take a look around your garden
for buckets etc with water trapped in them where they can breed.

Dumb question, but if I find them, how do I get rid?

A drop or two of oil on the surface of the water should do it.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 08:58:06 +0100, TheScullster wrote
(in article ):

"Bob Hobden" wrote

I too have considered this year to be low on Mossies, probably due to
the
very wet weather earlier washing them away. Take a look around your
garden
for buckets etc with water trapped in them where they can breed.

Dumb question, but if I find them, how do I get rid?

A drop or two of oil on the surface of the water should do it.

That only works for the larvae, the flying adults aren't afftected.

Mary

Old 07-09-2007, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 08:58:06 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote

I too have considered this year to be low on Mossies, probably due to the
very wet weather earlier washing them away. Take a look around your garden
for buckets etc with water trapped in them where they can breed.

Bob

Dumb question, but if I find them, how do I get rid?

Phil

Stop having the water where they live. Cover it or empty it out.
Ask your neighbours to do the same though. No point getting rid of a
tiny puddle in your garden if your neighbour is farming them on an
industrial scale.

I'd assume fish eat them in ponds though.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Hi all

Is it me or.........

For the past month, we seem to have been plagued by mossies.
Plagued is far too strong a word of course, but the night time ritual
now includes vacuuming upto a dozen of the things from around the
bedroom (they do infiltrate other rooms as well obviously).

Is there a known increase in numbers this year? Possibly due to wet
weather earlier in the year?

Living on a river like wot I do, I get more than most.

The larvae need somewhere wet and stagnant. They "hang" under the surface
tension (excuse all the wrong words) and then hatch, and then bite.

The best way to get rid (of the larvae) is to put a few drops of fairy
liquid on the water, this destroys the s/t and they drown. AFAIK oil doesn't
work so well, they need to breathe air through the s/t and they still can.

The best way to get them is legion.

o encourage spiders. Destroy the webs daily using a feather brush, they will
then build new, more efficient ones in the dusk, ready for the mossies.
o get an electric mossie killer. They really work, you put in a tablet and
plug it in the mains, it releases a gas which kills them (and also many
other smaller flies)
o get an electric swatter. Lots of fun.
o don't bother about mossie repellent. All it does is to mask your smell so
the mossies can't "see" you.
o invite friends round, then the biting will be shared equally amongst you
all. They prefer blokes to women, cos blokes don't wear perfume (not the
ones I know, anyway).
o scented candles seem to help, outside. You need lots of them. I use lemon
ones cos they have proved to do more good than the citronella ones, and they
smell nicer. There is a lady in Devon who makes them, can't remember her
name!

HTH

Unc

Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:54:41 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

[...]

Oil blocks their little snorkels and they die a horrible death.

Fairy liquid makes them sink and drown. They can't swim.

The best way to get them is legion.

Use = 50% DEET based insect repellant and pass them on to your
neighbours.

And hope that none of you suffer the allergic reaction.

Bee keeper's head gear/mosquitos Jacqueline Davidson Gardening 4 16-09-2003 11:32 AM
@#*%!^ mosquitos Phisherman Gardening 16 26-07-2003 09:12 AM
Mosquitos!!! Consumer Reports testing Magnet and Trap models... JayPomp Gardening 19 19-06-2003 02:08 PM
Mosquitos!!! Iris Cohen Gardening 0 18-06-2003 10:32 PM
OT - Mosquitos Are Coming! TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 01-02-2003 01:43 AM