Old 22-11-2007, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mulching

On 21 Nov, 20:16, David in Normandy wrote:
People often put 2 and 2 together and make 5 regarding food.

I did that, with my father in law. For years he kept saying that
onions gave him bad dreams. For years and years I thought just that,
bad dreams, and cooked for him without onions, which is quite easy
when he doesn't eat anything else but meat and a selection of vegs.
Until recently I realised that he meant flatulence ... not bad
dreams. David, don't try this sentence at home. Won't work with the
French ;o)
Old 22-11-2007, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 49721252-3224-4847-8411-ae86f45e1728
@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com, says...
On 21 Nov, 20:16, David in Normandy wrote:
People often put 2 and 2 together and make 5 regarding food.

David, don't try this sentence at home. Won't work with the
French ;o)

I recently bought a couple of books on French idioms/slang phrases. Some
are quite amusing e.g: "Manger les ****enlits par la racine" which my
books says means "To eat dandelions by the root" - equivalent to the
English "to push up daisies" :-)
--
David in Normandy
Old 22-11-2007, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What an aggressive reply from Sacha. I was just passing on my observation.
He may be trying to convince himself it's not true. Of course lots of other
possible explanations are possible but I was convinced that I suffered ill
effects from eating the vegetables an effect that was still just detectable
the second year. As I said it may not affect anyone else but that doesn't
mean my observations were wrong. Everyone is not the same neither is every
cow farm. An interseting theory that there was a fast acting virus at the
top of the garden that I carried back to the house with the veg! As for
testing the manure; I wonder what chemicals I should be searching for,
perhaps I should have myself tested as well to find out what I am sensitive
to; no thanks! Would you buy a microwave oven if you found that food
prepared in it gave you a headache, just because you couldn't explain it?

Colin
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 21/11/07 14:29, in article ,
"Colin Hammond" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On Nov 19, 10:02 pm, "Colin Hammond" wrote:
Just a warning. I bought a load of cow manure a few years ago which
contained so many chemicals that my vegetables, especialy the runner
beans,
were inedible for a year and didn't seem to get back to giving that
feel
good feeling for a couple of more years."

I've used this stuff before, and it is fine. It is a mix of peat and
very high pedigree bullshit (literally) + some small amount of chopped
straw. I am near neighbour to a bull stud evaluation farm.
But I am curious. How did you know your stuff was full of chemicals -
did you get it analysed in a lab? And how were the beans "inedible"?

Cat(h)

"How did I know the cow manure was full of chemicals?" No lab test
needed,
just careful observation of how I and my family felt. You should feel
good
after eating fresh vegetables from the garden not worse. No other
conditions
were changed so that was good enough for me. If I had tested other people
may have had a different result, but that of course would had been
irrelevant. I have stuck to using garden compost on the vegetable patch
since that experience, I do know what goes on the compost heap! Best
place
for cow manure is the flower beds, but even there can be a problem as it
encourages acid loving plants that die off when the manure is exhausted.

Colin

I'm sorry but I find this entirely unconvincing. You and your family may
well have caught some virus which you had passed from one to another over
period of weeks or even months. On top of that, there are 'echo' viruses
which return over and over again to the same person. None of this
convinces
me that your manuring of your vegetables made you and your family ill. If
you didn't test the manure you have absolutely no way of knowing that this
made your family unwell. This seems to me to fall into the 'gross
exaggeration' category, to be frank.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-11-2007, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Colin Hammond" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 21/11/07 14:29, in article

,
"Colin Hammond" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

[...]

----------------------
I am retired, have lived on my own for two years , have at last come to
terms with it and all of my cooking is done on that marvellous cooker called
a Microwave. Now that I am more experienced it is a blessing, and so easy
to use in any kind of food setup. (Especial mention re. my very-bezzie
taste for onions, which I simply cut into two, and in a few minutes, only
slightly longer time than for other veg and bingo!, Yum-yum!.
As for any rubbish talk about 'radiation'!,- it's all bullshine: I'm as fit
as a butchers pooch.
Douglas Adam Denny.

Mulching in North Carolina Steve Bouton Gardening 3 03-12-2003 12:33 AM
The importance of Mulching GardeningGuy Gardening 7 18-06-2003 03:56 PM
gum leaves mulching and fast break down PITS Australia 1 01-05-2003 12:20 AM
tree...mulching cn Texas 0 14-04-2003 10:08 PM
Need desperate help - need to find Seed Aide mulching granules ASAP!!! BillC Gardening 0 06-04-2003 07:08 AM