Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Does passion fruit grow on passiflora?

Yes, all are edible when ripe but quite a number are not worth eating.
Never eat them green though as they contain cyanide!

Thank you!!! That is something very useful to know!!!!

I wonder if that was what June meant when she said hers were
poisonous. Perhaps hers don't ripen.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:41 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 5/12/07 11:25, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 5/12/07 09:46, in article
, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Does passion fruit grow on passiflora?

Yes, all are edible when ripe but quite a number are not worth eating.
Never eat them green though as they contain cyanide!

Thank you!!! That is something very useful to know!!!!

I wonder if that was what June meant when she said hers were
poisonous. Perhaps hers don't ripen.

June was talking about Japanese quince, I think, not passion fruit. AFAIK,
none of them are poisonous, except as Charlie has shown. In the past I've
made quince jelly from Japanese quince (Chaenomeles) but it wasn't very
interesting as to flavour.

I am sure that is correct now. Mine was here when I moved in and I had
always been led to believe its fruit were poisonous. Live and learn!

I hope your cold is better. Mine is worse but I hope it will be on the
way out tomorrow.

I think the cold is improving and I'm not so I'm off to take some Vit. B
which boost my rotten immune system! We have an extremely busy week end
ahead and I really do need to be on my feet for it.
As to the 'what is poisonous' thing, we all seem to be taught that various
things are poisonous etc. and I would guess a lot of that stems from
childhood, probably in a bid to stop us from putting *anything* into
inquisitive small mouths.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-12-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| I don't think I shall put mine to the test, especially as Sacha has made
| the jelly and didn't like it. The flowers are lovely for the table in
| spring, though.

Yes. It is worth trying if you like sharp preserves, and it can be
used instead of apple together with blackberry.

| PS Tiptree do a lovely quince jelly but I should imagine they make
| theirs from the large hard, pale yellow fruit. I shall stick to that.

Yes, they do. And Bonne Maman. True quince is a lot more aromatic
and less acid than Japanese quince.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:45 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 5/12/07 11:29, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 5/12/07 09:46, in article , "Ophelia"
| wrote:
|
| I wonder if that was what June meant when she said hers were
| poisonous. Perhaps hers don't ripen.
|
| June was talking about Japanese quince, I think, not passion fruit. AFAIK,
| none of them are poisonous, except as Charlie has shown.

Possibly Camelia, if she was right. Chaenomeles are not poisonous,
ripe or unripe. You may feel that you would prefer to have been
poisoned after biting into an unripe one, but it won't do anything
more than make your mouth shrivel!

| In the past I've
| made quince jelly from Japanese quince (Chaenomeles) but it wasn't very
| interesting as to flavour.

I like it, but I agree that it's very like crab apple, only more
so. A sort of generic flavour.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh, those Camellia 'apples' are poisonous, are they?! My husband recently
received some huge ones, the size of real apples, from my son's garden and
we have no idea which variety of Camellia they come from. Any suggestions
as to ID would be welcome. He's sown the seed, so we'll have to see what
transpires. My ex-fil had a large collection of Camellias but only some of
his are documented but the fruits on this particular lot are quite
extraordinary, at least to us.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 5/12/07 11:44, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| I don't think I shall put mine to the test, especially as Sacha has made
| the jelly and didn't like it. The flowers are lovely for the table in
| spring, though.

Yes. It is worth trying if you like sharp preserves, and it can be
used instead of apple together with blackberry.

| PS Tiptree do a lovely quince jelly but I should imagine they make
| theirs from the large hard, pale yellow fruit. I shall stick to that.

Yes, they do. And Bonne Maman. True quince is a lot more aromatic
and less acid than Japanese quince.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I've eaten that often in France but don't recall seeing it here. Now I know
about it I'll go looking for it, because that I really do love. The true
quince tree is a thing of great beauty, IMO and the older they are, the
better. A friend of ours has one in a courtyard which fills the entire
space. It must be getting on for 100 years old, I should think and it's
truly lovely, with huge golden fruits and wonderful gnarled branches.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:54 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 5/12/07 11:25, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 5/12/07 09:46, in article
, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

I hope the VitB works. We are off to Sussex Uni on Friday night, so I
hope Barry doesn't get this, otherwise I shall be driving. We have
booked an Italian restaurant in Lewes, which is great and not at all
stuffy, so I hope that will still go ahead. If he has this cold, he
will just want to go to bed.

As to the 'what is poisonous' thing, we all seem to be taught that various
things are poisonous etc. and I would guess a lot of that stems from
childhood, probably in a bid to stop us from putting *anything* into
inquisitive small mouths.

I am sure you are right.

--
June Hughes
Old 05-12-2007, 11:57 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| I don't think I shall put mine to the test, especially as Sacha has made
| the jelly and didn't like it. The flowers are lovely for the table in
| spring, though.

Yes. It is worth trying if you like sharp preserves, and it can be
used instead of apple together with blackberry.

| PS Tiptree do a lovely quince jelly but I should imagine they make
| theirs from the large hard, pale yellow fruit. I shall stick to that.

Yes, they do. And Bonne Maman. True quince is a lot more aromatic
and less acid than Japanese quince.

The big yellow quince smell lovely but I have only used them for cooking
once. As the Tiptree product is so good, lazyitis set in and I just buy
that.
--
June Hughes
Old 05-12-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 5/12/07 11:44, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| I don't think I shall put mine to the test, especially as Sacha has made
| the jelly and didn't like it. The flowers are lovely for the table in
| spring, though.

Yes. It is worth trying if you like sharp preserves, and it can be
used instead of apple together with blackberry.

| PS Tiptree do a lovely quince jelly but I should imagine they make
| theirs from the large hard, pale yellow fruit. I shall stick to that.

Yes, they do. And Bonne Maman. True quince is a lot more aromatic
and less acid than Japanese quince.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I've eaten that often in France but don't recall seeing it here. Now I know
about it I'll go looking for it, because that I really do love. The true
quince tree is a thing of great beauty, IMO and the older they are, the
better. A friend of ours has one in a courtyard which fills the entire
space. It must be getting on for 100 years old, I should think and it's
truly lovely, with huge golden fruits and wonderful gnarled branches.

Ours used to be my favourite plant, sadly since removing its roots from
my drains it now developes mildew on the leave each summer then
defoliates and barely sets a crop, I know they like damp places, but did
not realise they would object so strongly to dry ones.
Still anywhere thats not dry I think they make a wonderful small tree
with silver leaves and large showy flowers in spring, yellow autumn
leaves and yellow fruits which if you leave them till they drop make the
whole garden smell wonderful, plus of course they polinate any other
pears you may be growing.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 05-12-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Ours used to be my favourite plant, sadly since removing its roots
from my drains it now developes mildew on the leave each summer then
defoliates and barely sets a crop, I know they like damp places, but
did not realise they would object so strongly to dry ones.
Still anywhere thats not dry I think they make a wonderful small tree
with silver leaves and large showy flowers in spring, yellow autumn
leaves and yellow fruits which if you leave them till they drop make
the whole garden smell wonderful, plus of course they polinate any
other pears you may be growing.

That sounds wonderful. I shall have a new garden fairly soon. Please tell
me what to get.