Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden lighting

This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-12-2007, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

Don't know, but they look rather fun. do they have electric light or
lanterns/candels of some sort?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 06-12-2007, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them
and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

Don't know, but they look rather fun. do they have electric light or
lanterns/candels of some sort?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

They are wired for electricity. My daughter and son in law were looking at
these only last year with a view to having them in the grounds of the Manor
House Hotel. Decided against them because they look 'tacky' in such
surroundings in daughter's words, but I will ask them if they went any
further towards the purchase.

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/12/07 16:58, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

Don't know, but they look rather fun. do they have electric light or
lanterns/candels of some sort?

Electric, Charlie. These were in the garden of the hotel we stayed at and I
haven't had an answer from them as to who supplied them. They would suit a
customer of ours perfectly and they looked quite magical at night when they
were lit up round the pool where everyone dined.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden.
The ones I'm thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star
shaped holes in them and are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

Oh, I love them!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 06-12-2007, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden.
The ones I'm thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star
shaped holes in them and are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

I have seen these in a garden centre fairly recently, but can't remember
where! They were definitely not wired for electric lights, though.

The only Turkish company I know of making lighting is Där
(http://www.darlighting.co.uk/). But they don't have these terracotta eggs.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 06-12-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them
and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

--

Sorry, no. But if you do a night-school pottery course you can make this
yourself, probably as a slab or coil pot. These could be made in stoneware

In fact it's such a good idea I might give it a go!

someone
someone

Old 06-12-2007, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/12/07 20:28, in article ,
"Jeff Layman" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden.
The ones I'm thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star
shaped holes in them and are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

I have seen these in a garden centre fairly recently, but can't remember
where! They were definitely not wired for electric lights, though.

The only Turkish company I know of making lighting is Där
(http://www.darlighting.co.uk/). But they don't have these terracotta eggs.

No, that doesn't ring any bells, unfortunately.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ..
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them
and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

Ok, but I've always liked the carved stone lanterns around the garden of one
of the Hotels we have stayed at a number of times...
http://www.photowebusa.com/taj/jai-m...lace/index.htm
go to "Virtual Tour" and then pool area.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/12/07 23:10, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ..
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them
and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

Ok, but I've always liked the carved stone lanterns around the garden of one
of the Hotels we have stayed at a number of times...
http://www.photowebusa.com/taj/jai-m...lace/index.htm
go to "Virtual Tour" and then pool area.

Aren't they just perfectly in keeping?! Lovely place, Bob. I am guessing
that the 'eggs' at our Turkish hotel were sort of reminiscent of a communal
cooking area used by the caravanserai. These were egg shaped roofs with
holes in them to let smoke out. The restaurant at our hotel was in the
garden, at the end of the pool, and its design was reminiscent of a yurt.
Apparently, the architect is also the owner of the hotel. I'm usually more
into antique than modern but the egg shaped lights were perfect in their
setting and of course, some consider the egg to be *the* perfect shape. ;-)
These lights were of very high quality, as to manufacture and the terracotta
was thick, not flimsy, easily breakable stuff. You can imagine that at
night the light shining through those star-shaped holes and reflected in the
pool (sometimes populated by the neighbouring river's frogs!) was just
beautiful.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them
and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

You could always ask the Camphill Group near you if they wanted a commission
:-)

Chris S

Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/12/07 11:35, in article , "Chris S"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them
and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

You could always ask the Camphill Group near you if they wanted a commission
:-)

Chris S

We sell a lot of their pots and they're very popular. This year, a lot of
them did 'heads' and one of my favourites a couple of years ago (which I
foolishly didn't buy before someone snapped it up) was a bath, complete with
taps - it was clever and made us laugh! And we commissioned them to make
some pots for the tea room window sills and others to be used as 'rubbish'
pots on the garden tables. But you can't direct them as to style - it all
comes from the imagination.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a

Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them

and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

If you are interested in exporting a load to the UK, try writting to the
embassy in london on your best headed note paper explaining that and asking
for help identifying the manufacturer.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/12/07 13:16, in article , "CWatters"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a

Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them

and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

If you are interested in exporting a load to the UK, try writting to the
embassy in london on your best headed note paper explaining that and asking
for help identifying the manufacturer.

I doubt we'd be importing enough to be of interest to the Embassy! But it's
just possible the Turkish manufacturers have an outlet here if I can find
out who they are.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 7/12/07 13:16, in article , "CWatters"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I wonder how wise it would be. If they are Turkish made then they will
not be frost proof, so if there is a hard Winter(even less likely in
Cornwall I guess)they may not survive.

FS: Garden Lighting Dean Lawns 1 30-04-2011 08:21 PM
Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
Garden Lighting by Design Matt Cody United Kingdom 55 20-11-2002 05:46 PM