Old 07-12-2007, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden lighting

On 7/12/07 15:10, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 7/12/07 13:16, in article
, "CWatters"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them
and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

If you are interested in exporting a load to the UK, try writting to the
embassy in london on your best headed note paper explaining that and asking
for help identifying the manufacturer.

I doubt we'd be importing enough to be of interest to the Embassy! But it's
just possible the Turkish manufacturers have an outlet here if I can find
out who they are.

I wonder how wise it would be. If they are Turkish made then they will
not be frost proof, so if there is a hard Winter(even less likely in
Cornwall I guess)they may not survive.

Does the thickness of the terracotta make a difference? These were very
sturdy.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
I wonder how wise it would be. If they are Turkish made then they
will not be frost proof, so if there is a hard Winter(even less
likely in Cornwall I guess)they may not survive.

Does the thickness of the terracotta make a difference? These were
very sturdy.

The frost proof pots are fired at a higher temperature. Thickness makes no
difference, as it is surface permeability to water which leads to the frost
damage.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 07-12-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/12/07 17:46, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:03:03 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 7/12/07 15:59, in article
,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 14:49:21 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

I doubt we'd be importing enough to be of interest to the Embassy! But
it's
just possible the Turkish manufacturers have an outlet here if I can find
out who they are.

Embassies are often very helpful. I think they get bored with the
admin work so a slightly obscure request breaks through the tedium. I
once asked someone in an African embassy if they could locate a fish
collector. This was in the days before African fishes and collecting
trips were big business. The embassy supplied the information by post
a few weeks later with a photograph of the man at the collection
station. Then I got a letter from the man in Africa with more photos.

Steve

Well, if I can't get an answer from the hotel,

It's probably closed for winter.

I don't think so. One of the staff told us they're open all year round
though it must be pretty damp there by now!

Old 08-12-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
I doubt we'd be importing enough to be of interest to the Embassy!

Perhaps, but embassies do sometimes respond to questions from potential
tourists to their county and one tourist is hardly going to boost the
economy. One of their missions is to encourage trade though.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I wonder how wise it would be. If they are Turkish made then they will
not be frost proof, so if there is a hard Winter(even less likely in
Cornwall I guess)they may not survive.

Depends which bit of Turkey!..

http://www.enjoyturkey.com/info/usef...fo/Climate.htm

Because of Turkey's geographical conditions, one can not speak about a
general overall climate. In Istanbul and around the sea of Marmara (Marmara
region) the climate is moderate (winter 4 deg.C and summer 27 deg.C); in
winter the temperature can drop below zero. In Western Anatolia (Aegean
region) there is a mild Mediterranean climate with average temperatures of 9
deg.C in winter and 29 deg.C in summer. On the southern coast of Anatolia
(Mediterranean region) the same climate can be found. The climate of the
Anatolian Plateau (Central Anatolian region) is a steppe climate (there is a
great temperature difference between day and night). Rainfall is low and
there is more snow. The average temperature is 23 deg.C in summer and -2
deg.C in winter. The climate in the Black Sea area (Black Sea region) is
wet, warm and humid (summer 23 deg.C, winter 7 deg.C). In Eastern Anatolia
and South-Eastern Anatolia there is a long hard winter, where year after
year snow lies on the ground from November until the end of April (the
average temperature in winter is -13 deg.C and in summer 17 deg.C).

Old 10-12-2007, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Sacha,

Our local garden centre has just recently started stocking these. Large
right down to the tiny.

Peter Barratts in Gosforth, near Newcastle upon Tyne.
www.peterbarratts.co.uk

Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/12/07 09:56, in article ,
"Simon Mc" wrote:

Hi Sacha,

Our local garden centre has just recently started stocking these. Large
right down to the tiny.

Peter Barratts in Gosforth, near Newcastle upon Tyne.
www.peterbarratts.co.uk

I'll look for them after Christmas. They're not on the web site atm.
Thanks very much indeed.

Old 13-12-2007, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them
and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

Just saw similar at a local independent GC called Adrian Hall in Hanworth
(Feltham).
Label says www.pottsar.co.uk but that site is not fully up and running.
Address and e-mail address is available though and I've mailed you
privately.

Called "Star Bomb", about 3ft tall and retailing at £29.99.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-12-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/12/07 15:15, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
This is a very long shot indeed but does anyone happen to know of a
Turkish
company that makes large egg shaped lights for the garden. The ones I'm
thinking of must stand about 4' high and have star shaped holes in them
and
are made of terracotta.
http://i11.tinypic.com/8eaxapz.jpg

Just saw similar at a local independent GC called Adrian Hall in Hanworth
(Feltham).
Label says www.pottsar.co.uk but that site is not fully up and running.
Address and e-mail address is available though and I've mailed you
privately.

Called "Star Bomb", about 3ft tall and retailing at £29.99.

Thanks, Bob. No email from you, though. Too much spam clogging up the
works, I think! How it is that ISPs claim to run spam filters I do not
know. I cleared over 1000 pieces out of my mailbox the other day. Time to
change the email addy, I think.

Old 13-12-2007, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:34:59 +0000, Sacha

wrote:

On 13/12/07 15:15, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

Orange/wanadoo's spam filter work very well.

I cleared over 1000 pieces out of my mailbox the other day. Time to
change the email addy, I think.

or use a mail tool like Thunderbird or Agent that you can very quickly
train to
recognise spam.
--

Martin

Norton and Yahoo sort mine out beautifully :-))

Hardly any junk mail at all :-)) it all goes straight into the deleted box
:-)) and I have three email addresses all coming into the same computer :-))

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 13-12-2007, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:30:23 +0000, Martin wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

On 13/12/07 15:15, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

Or SpamSieve for a Mac :-)
Also, get the email address on your web site masked if it isn't already.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.freerice.com/index.php

FS: Garden Lighting Dean Lawns 1 30-04-2011 08:21 PM
Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
Garden Lighting by Design Matt Cody United Kingdom 55 20-11-2002 05:46 PM