Old 20-04-2003, 04:56 PM
JimM

Default Plant identification please

I've managed to identify most of the plants in my garden but there are one
or two I'm not 100% certain about. A few photos of one of them are here

http://www.jimm.dsl.pipex.com/

I think it is a morning glory but although it is against the wall it doesn't
seem particularly keen to climb. Can anyone confirm exactly what this is

Thanks

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying

Old 20-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Sacha

in article , JimM at
wrote on 20/4/03 4:49 pm:

I've managed to identify most of the plants in my garden but there are one
or two I'm not 100% certain about. A few photos of one of them are here

http://www.jimm.dsl.pipex.com/

I think it is a morning glory but although it is against the wall it doesn't
seem particularly keen to climb. Can anyone confirm exactly what this is

Thanks

Jim

No, that's one of the Vincas, Jim. They make good ground cover and can be
invasive but they're not climbers.
--

Sacha

Old 20-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Natalie

"JimM" wrote in message
I've managed to identify most of the plants in my garden but there are one
or two I'm not 100% certain about. A few photos of one of them are here

http://www.jimm.dsl.pipex.com/

I think it is a morning glory but although it is against the wall it

doesn't
seem particularly keen to climb. Can anyone confirm exactly what this is

Thanks

Jim

I think it is Vinca Major.

Natalie

Old 20-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Sacha

in article 1ftq6no.12au7my1xaey0wN%00senetnospam@macunlimited .net, Jim W at
wrote on 20/4/03 6:49 pm:

JimM wrote:

I've managed to identify most of the plants in my garden but there are one
or two I'm not 100% certain about. A few photos of one of them are here

http://www.jimm.dsl.pipex.com/

I think it is a morning glory but although it is against the wall it doesn't
seem particularly keen to climb. Can anyone confirm exactly what this is

It is as people have said a Vinca.. Looks like Vinca major to me..
sometimes known as 'Morning Glory' but not to be confused with other
plants that share the same common name.

snip
Interesting. I have never heard of Vinca as Morning Glory, only Ipomoea.
--

Sacha

Old 20-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Saffy

--
Please feel free to visit my homemade greetings cards website at
www.saffys-cards.8k.com
"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1ftq6no.12au7my1xaey0wN%00senetnospam@macunli mited.net...
JimM wrote:

I've managed to identify most of the plants in my garden but there are

one
or two I'm not 100% certain about. A few photos of one of them are here

http://www.jimm.dsl.pipex.com/

I think it is a morning glory but although it is against the wall it

doesn't
seem particularly keen to climb. Can anyone confirm exactly what this is

It is as people have said a Vinca.. Looks like Vinca major to me..

I agree, although I'm a pretty novice gardener.

We have just dug sackloads of the stuff from the back garden and it has
most of the front garden in its grasp.. You have to admire its success
though and it 'IS' pretty in flower..

It looks lovely when it flowers, and it flowers for ages too - I just pull
the bits out of the ground that I don't want and cut it back if it gets too
bushy - not too technical, but it always bounces back.

Saffy.

Old 20-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Kate Morgan

snip
Interesting. I have never heard of Vinca as Morning Glory, only Ipomoea.

I just call it periwinkle, I have one that is climbing over a dead shrub
and it looks very pretty :-)
kate
Old 20-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Victoria Clare

Sacha wrote in
:

I've managed to identify most of the plants in my garden but there
are one or two I'm not 100% certain about. A few photos of one of
them are here

http://www.jimm.dsl.pipex.com/

I think it is a morning glory but although it is against the wall it
doesn't seem particularly keen to climb. Can anyone confirm exactly
what this is

Thanks

Jim

No, that's one of the Vincas, Jim. They make good ground cover and
can be invasive but they're not climbers.

Vinca Major can be trained up a trellis, though you have to keep on at it,
as it has no tendrils or natural twining habit.

It's naturally a trailer rather than a climber, so if you can put it at the
top of a wall, rather than bottom of a fence, it will cover it happily.

Victoria
Old 21-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Hussein M.

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:28:38 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

snip
Interesting. I have never heard of Vinca as Morning Glory, only Ipomoea.

I just call it periwinkle, I have one that is climbing over a dead shrub
and it looks very pretty :-)

I am really happy to have V. obscura (or is it oscura?) which has a
mauvey shade and flowers more bell shaped like than those of minor and
major spp. Moreover it stands upright and clumpy showing a good
display of flowers - rather than slinking of instantly for overland
travels like the other two. I love it.

Huss
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.