Old 08-02-2008, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Zealand gardens

For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and back!)
from my son and his wife. We'll probably go in January of next year, even
though his birthday is next month.
I've never been there but Ray went to NZ about 15 or so years ago but by now
there must be other, or more highly developed, gardens. Has anyone got any
particular recommendations? We won't be seeing gardens only but obviously,
those will be a major attraction for us! We intend to drive ourselves, as
and where the whim takes us but I want to start planning with the aid of
online maps, some of which show specific driving tours. I want, also, to
get him some books appropriate to the gardens of NZ, so again, any
suggestions will be most welcome.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-02-2008, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and
back!) from my son and his wife. We'll probably go in January of
next year, even though his birthday is next month.
I've never been there but Ray went to NZ about 15 or so years ago but
by now there must be other, or more highly developed, gardens. Has
anyone got any particular recommendations? We won't be seeing
gardens only but obviously, those will be a major attraction for us!
We intend to drive ourselves, as and where the whim takes us but I
want to start planning with the aid of online maps, some of which
show specific driving tours. I want, also, to get him some books
appropriate to the gardens of NZ, so again, any suggestions will be
most welcome.

Never been there myself, but I understand that it helps if you like white
flowers (I think that something in excess of 90% of the native flora has
white flowers).

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 08-02-2008, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and back!)

It might be worth your while asking on the aus.gardens ng as I know there
are af ew Kiwis who post there regularly.

These sites might also help:
http://netlist.co.nz/gardens/Gardenstovisit/Index.cfm
http://www.gardeninfo.org.nz/register/
http://www.gardens.org.nz/index.html

Fran

Old 08-02-2008, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/2/08 11:44, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and back!)

It might be worth your while asking on the aus.gardens ng as I know there
are af ew Kiwis who post there regularly.

These sites might also help:
http://netlist.co.nz/gardens/Gardenstovisit/Index.cfm
http://www.gardeninfo.org.nz/register/
http://www.gardens.org.nz/index.html

Very helpful, Fran. Thank you so much.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and back!)
from my son and his wife. We'll probably go in January of next year, even
though his birthday is next month.
I've never been there but Ray went to NZ about 15 or so years ago but by now
there must be other, or more highly developed, gardens. Has anyone got any
particular recommendations? We won't be seeing gardens only but obviously,
those will be a major attraction for us! We intend to drive ourselves, as
and where the whim takes us but I want to start planning with the aid of
online maps, some of which show specific driving tours. I want, also, to
get him some books appropriate to the gardens of NZ, so again, any
suggestions will be most welcome.

Hi,
Did you watch the "around the world in 80 gardens" last week? Monty Don
was visiting gardens in NZ. You missed the repeat but maybe you can
watch it online?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_an...d_index1.shtml

Philippe

Old 08-02-2008, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/2/08 15:50, in article ,
"Philippe Gautier" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Yes, we did and I had to bite my tongue not to say "ooh, like to see that"
because he didn't know about his surprise at that time. I thought they all
looked extremely interesting but really liked Ayrlies. Ray was horrified
that he didn't go to the South Island, though! ;-)

Old 08-02-2008, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Sacha

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and back!)
from my son and his wife. We'll probably go in January of next year, even
though his birthday is next month. I've never been there but Ray went to NZ
about 15 or so years ago but by now there must be other, or more highly
developed, gardens. Has anyone got any particular recommendations? We
won't be seeing gardens only but obviously, those will be a major
attraction for us! We intend to drive ourselves, as and where the whim
takes us but I want to start planning with the aid of online maps, some of
which show specific driving tours. I want, also, to get him some books
appropriate to the gardens of NZ, so again, any suggestions will be most
welcome.

My wife and I had 4 weeks in New Zealand travelling with a mixture of public
transport and 2 car hires one in North Island and one in South Island. We did
not visit any "private" gardens, but quite a lot of public ones. There is
limit to how much guidance we can give, because we went in October ie late
Spring whilst you are planning to go near to mid Summer.

One thing we would recommend if you are both fit enough is a conducted walk
up the Hooker valley on the East Side of Mount Cook starting from the
Hermitage Hotel at Mount Cook Village to the glacier lake. The views are
spectacular, and the botany fascinating.

One thing that I think will disappoint you is the number of British wild
flowers that got out to New Zealand with grass seed and are naturalised
there.

If you want thoughts on any of the Botanic gardens just ask.

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:14:46 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and back!)
from my son and his wife. We'll probably go in January of next year, even
though his birthday is next month.
I've never been there but Ray went to NZ about 15 or so years ago but by now
there must be other, or more highly developed, gardens. Has anyone got any
particular recommendations? We won't be seeing gardens only but obviously,
those will be a major attraction for us! We intend to drive ourselves, as
and where the whim takes us but I want to start planning with the aid of
online maps, some of which show specific driving tours. I want, also, to
get him some books appropriate to the gardens of NZ, so again, any
suggestions will be most welcome.

Sacha, how wonderful! Our tour over Christmas and New Year was a
hectic organised coach tour, but if you go to Christchurch do go to
the Botanic Gardens there. The trees are magnificent, just huge and
so majestic.
The Pahutakawa (NZ Christmas tree was in flower in N. Island, and
juast amazing. I could see it had the same effect on Monty Don!
A valley full of "Wild" lupins was a beautiful sight. My friend
bought a book of NZ "Wild flowers" and most are escapes from English
gardens. We saw more sparrows, blackbirds and thrushes there than we
see at home now.
I would have loved to see that garden at New Plymouth which Monty
visited.
If you go via Singapore the Orchid garden there is stunning.
Plan carefully!

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and back!)
from my son and his wife. We'll probably go in January of next year, even
though his birthday is next month.
I've never been there but Ray went to NZ about 15 or so years ago but by
now
there must be other, or more highly developed, gardens. Has anyone got
any
particular recommendations? We won't be seeing gardens only but
obviously,
those will be a major attraction for us! We intend to drive ourselves,
as
and where the whim takes us but I want to start planning with the aid of
online maps, some of which show specific driving tours. I want, also, to
get him some books appropriate to the gardens of NZ, so again, any
suggestions will be most welcome.

being a local I can recommend some gardens round about my district. The
local Hamilton City Gardens I think are very nice. Me, my wife & mutts walk
there from time to time. Hamilton also has some great river walks, best seen
with dogs in tow. All of the following are open to the public. This one is
free.
http://www.hamiltongardens.co.nz

My home town, just down the road from hamilton. Small but very colourful &
fragrant rose gardens worth 10-15 poke around. Free.
http://www.teawamutu.co.nz/local-inf...egarden1.shtml

Just out of Hamilton a large arboretum and a very nice stroll in Autumn as
leaves change colour. Small charge.
http://www.gardens.org.nz/garden_fin...x.html?lid=318

Water garden over up the coromandel (a nice beach area, alternative/hippy
hideaway & great national forests). My mum & auntie from Birmingham enjoyed
this. Small charge.
http://www.waiauwaterworks.co.nz

On the way to Coromandel, similar set up. Ma & auntie also like this. Small
charge.
http://www.ngateawatergardens.co.nz

Pukekura Park in New Plymouth, my wifes home town. Lovely park stretched
over a hilly area. Over Christmas/January they have lights set all around
the park. NP is 2-3 hours down country from hamilton and has some lovely sea
side villages where beach baches now cost the average working man a life
times wage. Used to be dirt cheap a few years ago before city folk
discovered them. Free
http://www.gardens.org.nz/garden_fin...ex.html?lid=14

Further a field I can suggest the Wellington Botanic gardens. Set on the top
of a hill overlooking Wellington City. Great views & an interesting trip up
from the CBD via cable car.
http://friendswbg.org.nz/

THE nz backyard garden bible is the Yates Garden Guide. I have a copy & my
old man had a copy from 35 years back.
http://www.yates.co.nz/products/book...-garden-guide/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaystartim...005a20517.html

rob

Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/2/08 20:13, in article , "John Rye"
wrote:

Hello Sacha

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
[...]

No firm plans yet. We can't go in October because one of the family has a
birthday she wants us for in late October. But we could go in November,
which R did last time. Perhaps it would be a better time to in terms of
plants? If we go in January, is there a risk of things having 'gone over',
perhaps?

One thing we would recommend if you are both fit enough is a conducted walk
up the Hooker valley on the East Side of Mount Cook starting from the
Hermitage Hotel at Mount Cook Village to the glacier lake. The views are
spectacular, and the botany fascinating.

One thing that I think will disappoint you is the number of British wild
flowers that got out to New Zealand with grass seed and are naturalised
there.

I think that came over on Monty Don's programme. He was fascinated by the
abrupt switches between lush English-type landscape and native NZ landscape.
I suppose we'd like to see examples of both but with a definite bias on
native NZ plants. We grow some here and I'm particularly looking forward to
seeing them in their natural state and size. Ray said (having been to NZ
once before) that looking at some plant or other, it took him several
seconds to realise he was looking at something he knew perfectly well but
didn't recognise three times its 'English' size.

If you want thoughts on any of the Botanic gardens just ask.

John

Yes please!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Fantastic looking tree! I've seen one on Tresco, though probably not at
full NZ size.

I could see it had the same effect on Monty Don!
A valley full of "Wild" lupins was a beautiful sight. My friend
bought a book of NZ "Wild flowers" and most are escapes from English
gardens. We saw more sparrows, blackbirds and thrushes there than we
see at home now.
I would have loved to see that garden at New Plymouth which Monty
visited.
If you go via Singapore the Orchid garden there is stunning.
Plan carefully!

Pam in Bristol

We will! Seeing too much is always the wrong side of temptation. Ray
remembers seeing somewhere called Gethsemane, which strikes me as a rather
morbid name for a garden! As it's his pressie, he has to plan whether he
wants to re-visit gardens he saw last time, see only new ones, or do a
mixture of the two.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/2/08 10:51, in article , "George.com"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

snip

Rob, this is absolutely invaluable and I've filed each of the book marks.
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post all these. We're hoping to
spend at least a month there, taking in both North and South Islands, so
local info and info from those who have visited NZ is of the greatest value
to us.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and back!)
from my son and his wife. We'll probably go in January of next year, even
though his birthday is next month.
I've never been there but Ray went to NZ about 15 or so years ago but by
now
there must be other, or more highly developed, gardens. Has anyone got
any
particular recommendations? We won't be seeing gardens only but
obviously,
those will be a major attraction for us! We intend to drive ourselves,
as
and where the whim takes us but I want to start planning with the aid of
online maps, some of which show specific driving tours. I want, also, to
get him some books appropriate to the gardens of NZ, so again, any
suggestions will be most welcome.

By chance a year or so ago I picked up a S/H book on NZ gardens (The
New Garden Heritage of New Zealand, Mary Burnard, Phoenix Press, 1990,
ISBN 0 9597712 1 2. Try for it on ABE
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry )

Monty Don visited gardens in New Zealand on his Around the World in 80
Gardens and as we will be in New Zealand in January 2009 we will be visiting
some. We then go on to Alice Springs and will be visiting some of the
Gardens there and in Sydney :-))

Mike

:-))

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Here's a list of the ones they describe, with their then owners,
alphabetically by location. You should pass close to a few of them at
least, but they were not all open to the public at the time of going
to press. That may have changed a bit by now.
snip

This is terrific. Thank you very much, Chris - into the file that goes,
too! All this info kind urglers are sending me is invaluable because,
although departure seems a long way off, a lot of planning ahead has to be
done and it's nost just essential but a lot of fun, too!

Old 20-02-2008, 01:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 8, 5:14*am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

I was just wondering what this newsgroup was all about?