Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What season is it?

I took advantage of the sunny weather to have a walk round the localish
botanic garden today. It was quite spring-like, and many of the usual
suspects were flowering - 4 species of Galanthus, Eranthis hiemalis, at
least two species of Helleborus, Narcissus cyclamineus, Cyclamen coum,
Hamamelis mollis, Daphne bholua, Viburnum x bodnantense, Erica carnea,
early Camellias, early Rhododendrons, Iris reticulata, Garrya elliptica,
Iris unguicularis, Sarcococcca, 3 species of Scilla. Some lesser
celandine were seen on the return journey.

But there were some more surprising flowers - Corynabutilon vitifolium
(not expected until May), Phymosia umbellata (usually summer/autumn
flowering). Abutilon megapotamicum was flowering, and while that (I
suspect) will flower all year indoors, it's early for that to be
flowering out of doors.

Also seen flowering were the comfrey that was asked about recently
(unfortunately neither patch was labelled), Euphorbia characias,
Euphorbia myrsinites, Omphalodes verna, Trachystemon orientalis, Corylus
avellana, Osteospermum juncundum, Euryops pectinatus, Vinca minor (but
that's flowering in my garden as well), Ribes sanguineum (white
cultivar), Ribes speciosum, Ribes laurifolium, Prunus 'Kursar'.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-02-2008, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Also seen flowering were the comfrey that was asked about recently
(unfortunately neither patch was labelled), Euphorbia characias,
Euphorbia myrsinites, Omphalodes verna, Trachystemon orientalis,

I thought Trachystemon always did flower at this time of year? It's
always one of the earliest to flower in the nature park we look after.

Corylus avellana, Osteospermum juncundum, Euryops pectinatus, Vinca
minor (but that's flowering in my garden as well), Ribes sanguineum
(white cultivar), Ribes speciosum, Ribes laurifolium, Prunus 'Kursar'.

--
Kay
Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Also seen flowering were the comfrey that was asked about recently
(unfortunately neither patch was labelled), Euphorbia characias,
Euphorbia myrsinites, Omphalodes verna, Trachystemon orientalis,

I thought Trachystemon always did flower at this time of year? It's
always one of the earliest to flower in the nature park we look after.

Corylus avellana, Osteospermum juncundum, Euryops pectinatus, Vinca
minor (but that's flowering in my garden as well), Ribes sanguineum
(white cultivar), Ribes speciosum, Ribes laurifolium, Prunus 'Kursar'.

I was being non-committal about whether plants in that particular list
were early or not. But I've got photographs of that clump of
Trachystemon in flower in mid-April, from 2006. (Oh, by the way, I
forgot to mention a Correa and Leptospermum scoparium in flower.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley