Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Registered User

Default What is Layering?

Hi all

I'm currently trying to revive a couple of jasmine plants, but I'm wanting to take a backup in case they die in the end. i'm wanting to take a cutting and see if i can get it to root. i have rooting powder, but i know next to nothing about how to take a cutting from jasmine, and i've read on here that layering is the best option...but what is layering? and how would i get it to root and grow into an independant plant?

any help is appreciated!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default oriental lilies

"danny" wrote ...

I've just potted eight oriental lily bulbs. i want them to really thrive
and be all they can be - anyone got any tips? i hear they love water,
but i dont want to drown them! does anyone have any tips?

also, if anyone can help with the jasmine thread i posted before please
do, im desperate lol

Most of the UK suffers from Lilly Beetle, a bright red beetle that eats
lilies, totally. You will see they look nothing like any other red beetle
and they drop to the ground if you don't get them first time. They will
attack your plants as soon as they start to grow so check daily and pick off
and crush any you find. Once the plants are growing well it is best to spray
with a systemic insecticide which will allow the plants to grow to their
full potential and make a good food store for next season.
I find a few waterings with Seaweed Extract helps as does using ericaceous
liquid feed. I've never considered them to like being wet, indeed our front
garden can be quite dry (S. facing) but they grow well there.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-02-2008, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"danny" wrote ...

I've just potted eight oriental lily bulbs. i want them to really
thrive and be all they can be - anyone got any tips? i hear they
love water, but i dont want to drown them! does anyone have any
tips? also, if anyone can help with the jasmine thread i posted before
please do, im desperate lol

Most of the UK suffers from Lilly Beetle, a bright red beetle that
eats lilies, totally. You will see they look nothing like any other
red beetle and they drop to the ground if you don't get them first
time. They will attack your plants as soon as they start to grow so
check daily and pick off and crush any you find. Once the plants are
growing well it is best to spray with a systemic insecticide which
will allow the plants to grow to their full potential and make a good
food store for next season.

Lily beetle (and its grubs) will eat many liliaceous plants - not just
lilies. They are a real nuisance - so much so, that I have given up buying
anything they may take a fancy to. The only systemic insecticide available
for use today is of the imidacloprid/thiacloprid type. I have used
imidacloprid in the past, but find it has become less effective
(resistance?) than it was when I started.

Dimethoate would be effective, but is unfortunately still unavailable for
domestic use.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 11-02-2008, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote
Lily beetle (and its grubs) will eat many liliaceous plants - not just
lilies. They are a real nuisance - so much so, that I have given up
buying anything they may take a fancy to. The only systemic insecticide
available for use today is of the imidacloprid/thiacloprid type. I have
used imidacloprid in the past, but find it has become less effective
(resistance?) than it was when I started.

Dimethoate would be effective, but is unfortunately still unavailable for
domestic use.

If you can't get a suitable systemic then for some reason Bifenthrin
(Polysect) works well too, one spray kept them off all the plants I used it
on for a season. (I had some left over from use on the allotment and tried
it) Perhaps it was the smell?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden