Old 16-02-2008, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dai Dai is offline

Default question

is it to early to move my raspberry canes and strawberrys on my allotment.
the raspberry canes are autumn fruiting.

dai

Old 16-02-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dai" wrote in message
is it to early to move my raspberry canes and strawberrys on my allotment.
the raspberry canes are autumn fruiting.

dai

No but it'll be too late if you don't get a move on

Old 16-02-2008, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "Dai" wrote in message
|
| is it to early to move my raspberry canes and strawberrys on my allotment.
| the raspberry canes are autumn fruiting.
|
| No but it'll be too late if you don't get a move on

It depends where you are. In Cambridge, it is still winter. It
is not a good idea to move such things when the soil is actually
freezing at night.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 17-02-2008, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "Dai" wrote in message
|
| is it to early to move my raspberry canes and strawberrys on my
allotment.
| the raspberry canes are autumn fruiting.
|
| No but it'll be too late if you don't get a move on

It depends where you are. In Cambridge, it is still winter. It
is not a good idea to move such things when the soil is actually
freezing at night.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ahhh yes very true, that doesn't happen here .... touch wood, but we had a
touch of frost today

Old 17-02-2008, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "Dai" wrote in message
|
| is it to early to move my raspberry canes and strawberrys on my
allotment.
| the raspberry canes are autumn fruiting.
|
| No but it'll be too late if you don't get a move on

It depends where you are. In Cambridge, it is still winter. It
is not a good idea to move such things when the soil is actually
freezing at night.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ahhh yes very true, that doesn't happen here .... touch wood, but we had a
touch of frost today

A TOUCH???

We haven't got above freezing point all day. During the night our central
heating came on - that's unknown, it's set at 10C

Very bright sunlight though, the water is heating nicely from the solar
panel.

Mary

Old 17-02-2008, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

t...

"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "Dai" wrote in message
|
| is it to early to move my raspberry canes and strawberrys on my
allotment.
| the raspberry canes are autumn fruiting.
|
| No but it'll be too late if you don't get a move on

It depends where you are. In Cambridge, it is still winter. It
is not a good idea to move such things when the soil is actually
freezing at night.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ahhh yes very true, that doesn't happen here .... touch wood, but we had
a touch of frost today

A TOUCH???

We haven't got above freezing point all day. During the night our central
heating came on - that's unknown, it's set at 10C

Very bright sunlight though, the water is heating nicely from the solar
panel.

Mary

Whereabouts are you?

Old 17-02-2008, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "Dai" wrote in message
|
| is it to early to move my raspberry canes and strawberrys on my
allotment.
| the raspberry canes are autumn fruiting.
|
| No but it'll be too late if you don't get a move on

It depends where you are. In Cambridge, it is still winter. It
is not a good idea to move such things when the soil is actually
freezing at night.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ahhh yes very true, that doesn't happen here .... touch wood, but we had
a touch of frost today

A TOUCH???

We haven't got above freezing point all day. During the night our central
heating came on - that's unknown, it's set at 10C

Very bright sunlight though, the water is heating nicely from the solar
panel.

Mary

Whereabouts are you?

We had a drinks party here last night and friends who came over the moor
from Tavistock way said it was icy and they'd had to scrape frost off the
car. Here it was 1C but today has been comparatively balmy because the wind
has dropped and shifted south a bit, having been in the east for several
days. When we walked the dogs round our field this afternoon the air really
did smell of spring, not just hopeful cold weather. Daffodils are well out
and even going over in a few places in the lanes. And we've discovered some
crocus where we've never seen them before in our banks and field edge - I
can only imagine they've spent years bulking themselves up to flowering
stage but have no idea how long it takes. Can anyone tell me?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-02-2008, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 17/2/08 18:40, in article
, "Robert

"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "Dai" wrote in message
|
| is it to early to move my raspberry canes and strawberrys on my
allotment.
| the raspberry canes are autumn fruiting.
|
| No but it'll be too late if you don't get a move on

It depends where you are. In Cambridge, it is still winter. It
is not a good idea to move such things when the soil is actually
freezing at night.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ahhh yes very true, that doesn't happen here .... touch wood, but we had
a touch of frost today

A TOUCH???

We haven't got above freezing point all day. During the night our central
heating came on - that's unknown, it's set at 10C

Very bright sunlight though, the water is heating nicely from the solar
panel.

Mary

Whereabouts are you?

We had a drinks party here last night and friends who came over the moor

Some will flower one year from seed some take two but crocus are prolific
seeders, may be a mouse moved a seed pod or two!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 18-02-2008, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/2/08 09:04, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip
Some will flower one year from seed some take two but crocus are prolific
seeders, may be a mouse moved a seed pod or two!

Thanks Charlie and could well be. We have them in various spots in the
garden but these have appeared 'from nowhere' - I like happy accidents of
that sort!

Old 18-02-2008, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "Dai" wrote in message
|
| is it to early to move my raspberry canes and strawberrys on my
allotment.
| the raspberry canes are autumn fruiting.
|
| No but it'll be too late if you don't get a move on

It depends where you are. In Cambridge, it is still winter. It
is not a good idea to move such things when the soil is actually
freezing at night.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ahhh yes very true, that doesn't happen here .... touch wood, but we had
a touch of frost today

A TOUCH???

We haven't got above freezing point all day. During the night our central
heating came on - that's unknown, it's set at 10C

Very bright sunlight though, the water is heating nicely from the solar
panel.

Mary

Whereabouts are you?

Leeds, Yorkshire.

Mary

Old 18-02-2008, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/2/08 12:42, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "Dai" wrote in message
|
| is it to early to move my raspberry canes and strawberrys on my
allotment.
| the raspberry canes are autumn fruiting.
|
| No but it'll be too late if you don't get a move on

It depends where you are. In Cambridge, it is still winter. It
is not a good idea to move such things when the soil is actually
freezing at night.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ahhh yes very true, that doesn't happen here .... touch wood, but we had
a touch of frost today

A TOUCH???

We haven't got above freezing point all day. During the night our central
heating came on - that's unknown, it's set at 10C

Very bright sunlight though, the water is heating nicely from the solar
panel.

Mary

Whereabouts are you?

Leeds, Yorkshire.

Mary

Been hovering just above zero at night here which is a relief as things
are further ahead

We had a slight frost this morning but so far so good for e.g. Echiums and
the like.

Old 18-02-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/2/08 20:41, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:42:26 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 18/2/08 12:42, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Been hovering just above zero at night here which is a relief as things
are further ahead

We had a slight frost this morning but so far so good for e.g. Echiums and
the like.

Night-time minima of about 4C over the last few days down here, with
no sign of frost :-) This whole winter has been very mild so far,
with only two light ground frosts, one each in November and December,
and no air frosts. But there's still time......

It sounds bizarre even to me but after 10 years of living in England, I'm
still trying to get used to any frost at all! Our winters are pretty mild
here but I was used to leaving Pelargoniums out all year round and having
them bloom again in the following year, for example. I grew Ballota in a
crack in some granite paving once and it was up and through a very mature
Camellia within 3 years. To me, this is inhospitably cold and it isn't a
jot or tittle of what other parts of Britain have been getting. It's the
east wind that does it - the original lazy wind. Too lazy to go round you
so it goes right through you.