Old 10-03-2008, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More on Briggs and Stratton engines

All the talk last week of B&S engines prompted me to get the old Hayter 56
out of mothballs and service it yesterday. All went well with fresh fuel and
new spark plug (I am sure the one I took out was the original) couple up the
starter to a 12 volt car battery. I do this for first start as the on board
battery died about 4 years ago (they are so expensive to replace) and the
machine starts so well all season on the pull cord. The machine started as
usual and I started giving a few clumps on the lawn a trim whilst it warmed
up before changing the oil.

After a few mins it started spluttering stopped, strange I thought. Back to
the workshop, check spark- OK check fuel -OK, check air filter- problem. It
is choked with chewed up bits of paper and the like. Its a wonder the
machine started at all. It seems a mouse had tried building a nest in there.
Re-started first pull with no filter in the housing, warmed it up and
changed the oil. Picked up a new filter element today, SIX QUID for a bit of
foam, never mind at lease the machine still works.

As an aside the oil changing was much simpler this year as I have just
bought an oil suction devise from Lidl. Great little tool it just sucks the
old oil out of the dip stick tube. No more messy catch trays under awkward
drain plugs for me.

Mike
(bugger the mice I'm ready to mow)

Old 10-03-2008, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:08:02 -0000, Muddymike wrote:

As an aside the oil changing was much simpler this year as I have just
bought an oil suction devise from Lidl. Great little tool it just sucks
the old oil out of the dip stick tube.

Argh.... more toys from Lidl. I'm trying to ignore the compressor, air
hose and air tool kit from from Aldi ATM.

Is this oil pump thingy something Lidl carry or a special?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:08:02 -0000, Muddymike wrote:

As an aside the oil changing was much simpler this year as I have just
bought an oil suction devise from Lidl. Great little tool it just sucks
the old oil out of the dip stick tube.

Argh.... more toys from Lidl. I'm trying to ignore the compressor, air
hose and air tool kit from from Aldi ATM.

Is this oil pump thingy something Lidl carry or a special?

Like all their gear is a short time special. I used the air blaster that
came with my Aldi compressor last year to clean up the mower:-)

Mike

Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Mar, 21:23, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Is this oil pump thingy something Lidl carry or a special?

get yerself down to a boat chandler. Getting to the sump plug on
boats is a nightmare, so various toys are available for dealling with
it. By way of illustration only:
http://www.marinemegastore.com/categ...-ENGLUB005.htm