Old 23-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Serenity

Default seedlings - what do i do??

So I plant my seeds in a compost tray and they grow - hurrah.
They get to about 3cm high and they die.
Everytime, regardless of the plant type.

What do I do?
Is it because I look at them wrong?
Serenity

Old 23-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"Serenity" serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote in
message ...
So I plant my seeds in a compost tray and they grow - hurrah.
They get to about 3cm high and they die.
Everytime, regardless of the plant type.

What do I do?
Is it because I look at them wrong?
Serenity

Are you overwatering them?

Si

Old 23-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Warwick Dumas

"Serenity" serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote in
message ...
So I plant my seeds in a compost tray and they grow - hurrah.
They get to about 3cm high and they die.
Everytime, regardless of the plant type.

What do I do?
Is it because I look at them wrong?
Serenity

Maybe you sowed them really thickly and didn't pot them on when they needed
it? A bit more information might help.

Old 23-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Annabel

"Serenity" serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote in
message ...
So I plant my seeds in a compost tray and they grow - hurrah.
They get to about 3cm high and they die.
Everytime, regardless of the plant type.

What do I do?
Is it because I look at them wrong?
Serenity

Please forgive my brevity here. Have you read any seed sowing or
seedling problem articles. As already stated more information is really
needed. Try this link, which has other links from it
http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedsowing.html

Annabel

Old 23-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Serenity

Thanks for the replies.
I know it isn't overcrowing, but i'm not sure abut overwatering - how do i
tell that?

Thank you for the links.
I'll go and follow them up.

BTW I did plant some gourds and they all did very so far (fingers crossed.)

I do know that 2 years ago my seedlings all died because my toddler was into
eating soil, but that is no longer the case.

Love Serenity

Old 24-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"Serenity" serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote in
message ...
Thanks for the replies.
I know it isn't overcrowing, but i'm not sure abut overwatering - how do i
tell that?

The compost should be damp, but not wet. Soil that is too wet reduces the
amount of oxygen available to the plant and can rot the roots. The aim is to
make the plant's roots search for water - give them just enough to want to
search for more.

Si

Old 24-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Hussein M.

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:58:45 +0100, "Serenity"
serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote:

Thanks for the replies.
I know it isn't overcrowing, but i'm not sure abut overwatering - how do i
tell that?

The soil on the surface would probably seem very dry to you but
dunking about the bottom third of the pot/tray in water so they are
watered from the bottom up is a good policy. There is water vapour
coming off the water all the time and with diurnal changes in
temperature to cool the soil much of this vapour (itself preventing
desiccation) will condense like a fine dew in the soil. I think!

Before I wised up, I was losing seedlings by over-watering. they
look fine and then they go all limp and pale and of course the natural
impulse is more water which is exactly the culprit for their plight
suffocating the roots.

Huss

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.