Old 16-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Warwickshire, UK
Default mystery flowering currant variety

I wonder if anyone can help. From a local garden group I have purchased a 'Ribes Gordianum'. It looks like an ordinary flowering currant, except that the flowers are pretty peach and gold coloured. I have trawled the net looking for a bit more info on size etc, and cannot find a mention! Does anyone know of it?
thanks
Melanie
Old 18-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article m, melanie
writes

--
melanie

I'd guess that this is Ribes x gordonianum, which is a hybrid of Ribes
aureum and Ribes sanguineum. (I guessed what might have been mispelt as
Gordianum.) 75 links found in Google.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 18-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Brian

Expect a height 6-8'or more. Spread 5'. No fruits but fabulous racemes of
flowers to nearly 2'!! It was a cross between R. aureum and R.sanguineum.
Best Wishes
In article m, melanie
writes

Old 18-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello Melanie

In article m,
melanie wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help. From a local garden group I have purchased
a 'Ribes Gordianum'. It looks like an ordinary flowering currant,
except that the flowers are pretty peach and gold coloured. I have
trawled the net looking for a bit more info on size etc, and cannot
find a mention! Does anyone know of it?
thanks

RHS Dictionary of Gardening (1951 edition)

Ribes X Gordonianum
(R areum x R sanguineum)
Intermediate in most characteristics, but not as beautiful as either . fl
racemes of about 20 reddish oitside, yellow within April Sterile Raised at
Shrubland Park Ipswich about 1837 SYN R Beatonii

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England