Old 01-05-2008, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Living herbs bought from supermarket

My wife has bought some parsley , one curly leaf and one flat leaf,
growing in a pot and enclosed (held up!) with plastic wrapping. Once
the wrapping is removed both herbs were very floppy and do look rather
pale. The curly leaf parsley has seemed to have died now. Is there
anything that we can do to save the other. These plants look quite
good in the supermarket but after only a couple of days at home they
fade fast, particularly if the wrapper is taken off and they have no
support.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
My wife has bought some parsley , one curly leaf and one flat leaf,
growing in a pot and enclosed (held up!) with plastic wrapping. Once
the wrapping is removed both herbs were very floppy and do look rather
pale. The curly leaf parsley has seemed to have died now. Is there
anything that we can do to save the other. These plants look quite
good in the supermarket but after only a couple of days at home they
fade fast, particularly if the wrapper is taken off and they have no
support.
Thanks

The secret?

We found that the plants, yes there are more than one to the pot, were too
crowded in the little pots. As soon as you get them home, open them up,
tease out the roots and pot the separate plants on. Been there, done that
and got good plants out of them. Safeway's now Morrison's do them and are
OK.

Try it again.

Mike

Old 02-05-2008, 03:15 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
My wife has bought some parsley , one curly leaf and one flat leaf,
growing in a pot and enclosed (held up!) with plastic wrapping. Once
the wrapping is removed both herbs were very floppy and do look rather
pale. The curly leaf parsley has seemed to have died now. Is there
anything that we can do to save the other. These plants look quite
good in the supermarket but after only a couple of days at home they
fade fast, particularly if the wrapper is taken off and they have no
support.
Thanks
If you look at the pots, you will find there is a mass of seedlings in it. It is not worth trying to keep them alive as there is simply not enough medium to support them all. Next time, when you get the pot home, remove all but two or three strong plants, pinch out the growing tip, and you may be able to keep them going.

The alternative is to prick them out into a very large pot or trough in the garden.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
If you look at the pots, you will find there is a mass of seedlings in it. It is not worth trying to keep them alive as there is simply not enough medium to support them all. Next time, when you get the pot home, remove all but two or three strong plants, pinch out the growing tip, and you may be able to keep them going.

The alternative is to prick them out into a very large pot or trough in the garden.
Also, if they are floppy when you take off the wrapper, then either they are dying of thirst or drowning. If the earth feels dry, put the pot into a bowl of water until the plants stand up; if it feels really wet, leave for 48 hours before giving them any water.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 2 May 2008 09:01:36 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

I grow several herbs, mostly from seed. Parsley seems to be slow growing
though so although I have several pots around I sometimes need more (I love
parsley and use it almost daily).

The large pots of parsley I buy from Waitrose are excellent value and they
last for weeks - unless I water them too much.

Last year I bought a pot of live parsley from Tesco.

I split it into 8 clumps and planted them in my greenhouse. They grew
like weeds and we had fresh parsley for months. Far easier than
seeds.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 May 2008 09:01:36 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

I grow several herbs, mostly from seed. Parsley seems to be slow growing
though so although I have several pots around I sometimes need more (I
love
parsley and use it almost daily).

The large pots of parsley I buy from Waitrose are excellent value and they
last for weeks - unless I water them too much.

Last year I bought a pot of live parsley from Tesco.

I split it into 8 clumps and planted them in my greenhouse. They grew
like weeds and we had fresh parsley for months. Far easier than
seeds.

--

:-)

This is what we found. But they DO have to be split ASAP

Mike

Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 2 May 2008 10:29:22 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote
and included this (or some of this):

Last year I bought a pot of live parsley from Tesco.

I split it into 8 clumps and planted them in my greenhouse. They grew
like weeds and we had fresh parsley for months. Far easier than
seeds.

This is what we found. But they DO have to be split ASAP

I split them soon after purchase and ended up with 8 large clumps of
parsley growing on for the rest of the season. Without splitting,
there would have been a mass clump of intertwined smallish plants.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 2 May 2008 10:29:22 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote
and included this (or some of this):

Last year I bought a pot of live parsley from Tesco.

I split it into 8 clumps and planted them in my greenhouse. They grew
like weeds and we had fresh parsley for months. Far easier than
seeds.

This is what we found. But they DO have to be split ASAP

I split them soon after purchase and ended up with 8 large clumps of
parsley growing on for the rest of the season. Without splitting,
there would have been a mass clump of intertwined smallish plants.

and died which is what I think the OP's problem was.

Mike

Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A few years ago, I bought about 10 Tesco pots of Thyme and planted it
out en masse.

Initially, it did flop horribly but then grew properly and lasted about
4 years. However, the flavour was inferior after a year or so.

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 02-05-2008, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
A few years ago, I bought about 10 Tesco pots of Thyme and planted it
out en masse.

Initially, it did flop horribly but then grew properly and lasted about
4 years. However, the flavour was inferior after a year or so.

Chives seem to do ok, as long as you trim them right back as soon as you
purchase them and don't harvest them again for a couple of months 'til they
get established.
--
Rhiannon_s
I am me, this is now, we are here!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2 May, 13:51, "rhiannon s" wrote:
"Steve Harris" wrote in message

... A few years ago, I bought about 10 Tesco pots of Thyme and planted it
out en masse.

Initially, it did flop horribly but then grew properly and lasted about
4 years. However, the flavour was inferior after a year or so.

Chives seem to do ok, as long as you trim them right back as soon as you
purchase them and don't harvest them again for a couple of months 'til they
get established.
--
Rhiannon_s
I am me, this is now, we are here!

What ever you are going to try, do try to find out when they get them
into the store and buy them the day they arive, after they have been
in store 3 or 4 days , poor light no water etc not half the chance.
You can also look at the packets of fresh herbs, you can take viable
cuttings from rosemary, thyme, taragon all will root, if treated with
care.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On May 2, 9:30 pm, Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

How tender is Tarragon David? I planted a pot in my herb garden (back
garden) and it has disappeared!!!

Hi Judith,

We've had two tarragons going for about 10 years here, they both died in
the wet this winter. They had been through some pretty tough freezes and
come back.

Along with them in the herb bed the old thyme died, and hyssop. One of
the big rosemaries is on last legs. I think the wet done for them all.

Just cleaned it out this afternoon, put in some rocket, anise and pimpernel.
Tarragon is easy enough to find, but I'll probably have to order hyssop...

cheers,

-E