Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flower Garden Design Ideas: How To Create An Amazing Garden!

http://syubrawi.com/aerogarden,
A flower garden can be a peaceful and beautiful refuge from the rest
of the world. Sitting in the midst of fragrant flowers while reading a
book or strolling along paths lined with flowers in cheerful colors
can help you to wind down after a busy, stressful day. With some
planning and work, a lovely flower garden can be yours to enjoy.

Planning Flower Garden Designs

Creating beautiful flower garden designs takes much planning and
consideration. You will need to consider the types of flowers and
combinations of colors you desire for the garden. You will also need
to think about the placement of borders and shrubs as well as seating
and ornaments. It is a good idea to choose an overall style for the
garden and stick with it. When you begin your flower garden designs
project, you should make a scale drawing of the design to help
visualize your concepts.

Shapes in Flower Garden Designs

Decide upon the shape and pattern for your flower garden designs.
Rectangular flower garden designs are a traditional shape and always
popular. Circular shaped gardens add interest to the standard
rectangular lawn. Flower gardens planted on a diagonal to the house
can make a lawn appear larger than it actually is.

Styles of Flower Garden Designs

There are a number of styles of gardens that you can plant, and many
of them are not too difficult to achieve. Some favorite flower garden
designs are listed here.

Rose Flower Garden Designs

Rose Gardens are easy to plant and beautiful to see. In addition to
modern roses, include fragrant, old-fashioned varieties of roses whose
scent will delight. Plant bulbs in the beds and border them with
seasonal flowers to keep the garden full of color during the blooming
seasons.

Cottage Flower Garden Designs

Informal cottage gardens have an old-fashioned, rustic look about
them. These flower garden designs incorporate the use of flowers,
plants and vegetables.

Shade Flower Garden Designs

Shade gardens are good flower garden designs for spaces with many
trees blocking the sunlight. There are many flowers that do well in
shady areas, including impatiens, begonia, azalea, hosta and viola.
The lack of leaves on the trees in spring allows spring bulbs to grow,
filling the space with color.

Wildflower Flower Garden Designs

Wildflower gardens are flower garden designs that feature plants
indigenous to the area where the garden is located. These gardens tend
to require less pampering than some of the other types listed here,
usually not requiring much weeding or amendments to the soil.

Butterfly Flower Garden Designs

Butterfly gardens are delightful flower garden designs, planted with
flowers known to attract butterflies. Plants such as marigold, lilac,
coreopsis, lavender, black-eyed susan and goldenrod are all good
choices for butterfly gardens.

Hummingbird Flower Garden Designs

Likewise, hummingbird gardens are a good choice for those who enjoy
spotting these small birds. Hummingbirds like richly colored flowers
with sweet nectar and a tubular shape. Red and fuschia flowers in
particular tend to attract hummingbirds. Some hummingbird garden
favorites are morning glory, petunias, azalea, rose of sharon,
delphinium and honeysuckle.

Want more Garden Design Tips?? Learn more tips and techniques at our
Garden Design resource site :-
http://syubrawi.com/aerogarden
Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/5/08 08:54, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip

We have lots of rhubarb, but are running short of instant custard.
This morning I heard a cuckoo for the first time this year and finally we have
got swallows. Two wood pigeons are doing disgusting things in the trees at
dawn.
The green parakeet is a regular visitor.
Today it will be 26C again and there isn't a cloud in the sky.

I haven't heard a cuckoo in years, other than on Tresco but a friend says
she heard one in her village which is about 5 miles away. The wood pigeons
seems always to be doing something disgusting and the rooks are copying
them! We've seen a baby thrush looking rather surprised on what was
possibly its maiden flight and the first customer of the year has been in
grave distress at the plight of a baby blackbird 'because it can't fly'. A
lot of people seem not to know that blackbirds can't fly when they leave the
nest and so are prey to cats and other marauders, though I must say that our
blackbird numbers seem just fine. It's one of nature's great design faults!
We had a woodpecker on the peanut feeder a few days ago and usually it
visits some trees in a field over the lane.
Lovely sunny day here and everything is burgeoning wonderfully - the lanes
look wonderful and the fields of rapeseed are absolutely searing to the eyes
- very dramatic.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 10, 9:22 am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 09:06:32 +0100, Sacha wrote:
On 10/5/08 08:54, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip

We have lots of rhubarb, but are running short of instant custard.
This morning I heard a cuckoo for the first time this year and finally we have
got swallows. Two wood pigeons are doing disgusting things in the trees at
dawn.
The green parakeet is a regular visitor.
Today it will be 26C again and there isn't a cloud in the sky.

I haven't heard a cuckoo in years, other than on Tresco but a friend says
she heard one in her village which is about 5 miles away. The wood pigeons
seems always to be doing something disgusting and the rooks are copying
them!

The wood pigeons skipped making a nest this year. Every time they built one last
year the strong winds blew it down.

We've seen a baby thrush looking rather surprised on what was
possibly its maiden flight and the first customer of the year has been in
grave distress at the plight of a baby blackbird 'because it can't fly'.

I found half a blackbird's egg shell on the lawn, but there is no sign of baby
ones.
Our 16 year old cat is out of action ATM as a result of it breaking a tooth.
We hadn't noticed. It was giving a good impression of being on it's last legs at
the beginning of the week, a shot of antibiotic pain killer and the extraction
of the broken tooth has made it a born again kitten and hyperactive at night.

lot of people seem not to know that blackbirds can't fly when they leave the
nest and so are prey to cats and other marauders, though I must say that our
blackbird numbers seem just fine. It's one of nature's great design faults!
We had a woodpecker on the peanut feeder a few days ago and usually it
visits some trees in a field over the lane.
Lovely sunny day here and everything is burgeoning wonderfully - the lanes
look wonderful and the fields of rapeseed are absolutely searing to the eyes
- very dramatic.

The garden needs rain.
--

Martin

Rain? Wash your mouth out Martin!

Judith
Old 10-05-2008, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 10, 11:44 am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 02:59:20 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

"Martin" wrote:

[...]

I was hoping it might rain between midnight and six am.
--

Martin

Yes, I'll go with that - considered yourself redeemed.

Judith
Old 10-05-2008, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/5/08 11:44, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip

I was hoping it might rain between midnight and six am.

It didn't rain last night but it did the night before and while it wasn't
terribly heavy, it was enough to freshen everything up and bring on the
weeds nicely!

Old 10-05-2008, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 10, 2:21 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 10/5/08 14:18, in article ,

"Martin" wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 12:14:17 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 10/5/08 11:44, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip

I was hoping it might rain between midnight and six am.

It didn't rain last night but it did the night before and while it wasn't
terribly heavy, it was enough to freshen everything up and bring on the
weeds nicely!

We need rain to get the bird seed growing that the ungrateful birds have
chucked
everywhere. I spotted a sunflower growing in the lawn yesterday.

Just remember the tale of the old couple, the birdseed and the cannabis.
;-))
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

I don't know it - do tell!!

Judith

Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/5/08 17:50, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On May 10, 2:21 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 10/5/08 14:18, in article ,

"Martin" wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 12:14:17 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 10/5/08 11:44, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip

I was hoping it might rain between midnight and six am.

It didn't rain last night but it did the night before and while it wasn't
terribly heavy, it was enough to freshen everything up and bring on the
weeds nicely!

We need rain to get the bird seed growing that the ungrateful birds have
chucked
everywhere. I spotted a sunflower growing in the lawn yesterday.

Just remember the tale of the old couple, the birdseed and the cannabis.
;-))
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

I don't know it - do tell!!

Judith

True story, according to the newspapers a few years ago. Old couple emptied
contents of bird feeder at the end of the garden. Someone reported them for
growing some dodgy looking 'herbs'. When the police came to investigate
they saw that these herbs were cannabis plants! Luckily and for once,
common sense prevailed and the olds were not prosecuted. Maybe that's why
budgies and canaries sing so happily!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/5/08 10:19, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 10 May 2008 23:18:25 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snip

True story, according to the newspapers a few years ago. Old couple emptied
contents of bird feeder at the end of the garden. Someone reported them for
growing some dodgy looking 'herbs'. When the police came to investigate
they saw that these herbs were cannabis plants! Luckily and for once,
common sense prevailed and the olds were not prosecuted. Maybe that's why
budgies and canaries sing so happily!

and why owls twit twoo

High Owl Hides Out In Christmas Tree

NBC30.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- A bird with a buzz found in a Florida family's Christmas
tree
is getting ready to go back into the wild.

The little screech owl was found in the tree, which the family had kept for
five
days before deciding to decorate it.

Animal control officers from Pelican Man's Bird Sanctuary came to get the owl,
and said they smelled a strange odor on it when they did.

"Curiously enough, the owl's feathers smelled very, very potently like
marijuana," said Jeff Dering, of the sanctuary. "They examined the owl, looked
at its eyes, ... and the owl was, in the vernacular, stoned."

Blood tests confirmed the owl's state.

Sanctuary staff checked the bird out, fed him and named him "Cheech." They
said
he would be released in a few days.

The buzzing bird also brought an early holiday gift to the sanctuary, which
was
in need of more than $250,000. The attention the bird has brought has helped
ensure the sanctuary's survival.

Splutter.....! Doesn't the story tell what happened to the family that had
failed to notice a live owl in its Christmas tree!!