Old 21-05-2008, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What do bluebell seedlings look like?

Judith in France wrote in
@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

When the seed germinates they look EXACTLY like a grass
shoot. I'm intrigued now as to what they really are.

Judith,
thats my understanding from my book; the seedlings are
supposed to look like chives - i.e thin round shoots just
like newly-sprouted grass.

I think I will need to let them grow out and see what I
get. The more I look at them the more they look like
leaks to me!

Davy

Old 21-05-2008, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . 145
from Davy contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote in

Mine looked more like wild garlic leaves - ie, flat.

Beginning with one
leaf, then another. However, don't expect flowers too

soon - they are
likely to appear several years after sowing.

I googled wild garlic photo and found that wild garlic
have largish flat wide leaves each held on a stalk. That
certainly does not describe what I have. My leaves are
narrow grasslike and without stalks. So I wonder what I
have got?

I was talking about the first growth of wild garlic, not the mature
plant's leaves.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-05-2008, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . 145
from Davy contains these words:
Right,

I have managed to photograph the seedlings; you can see
them here

http://www.users.callnetuk.com/~davystokes/misc.htm

thanks

It's a grass.

I've some of it, but I don't know what it's called. Certainly not a bluebell.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-05-2008, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith in France contains these words:
On May 21, 4:46 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Davy" wrote in message
. 109.145...

Right,

I have managed to photograph the seedlings; you can see
them here

http://www.users.callnetuk.com/~davystokes/misc.htm

thanks

Davy

They look exactly like bluebell leaves to me!

Mary

They certainly look like Bluebell leaves Mary but NOT like how they
look when they have just germinated from seed, these look at least 2-3
years old. When the seed germinates they look EXACTLY like a grass
shoot. I'm intrigued now as to what they really are.

Nothing like bluebells: bluebell leaves don't grow from a stem like
that, they all come from the ground in a sheaf and on breaking out,
separate in a concentric bunch.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-05-2008, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . 145
from Davy contains these words:
Judith in France wrote in
@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

When the seed germinates they look EXACTLY like a grass
shoot. I'm intrigued now as to what they really are.

Judith,
thats my understanding from my book; the seedlings are
supposed to look like chives - i.e thin round shoots just
like newly-sprouted grass.

I think I will need to let them grow out and see what I
get. The more I look at them the more they look like
leaks to me!

pics of non-scripta seedlings up on my wibble - just went outside and
photographed them.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/non-scripta1.jpg

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 21-05-2008, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
[...]

I bow to your expertise Rusty, I just know that someone on group sent
me an envelope of seeds and they looked exactly like grass. This year
my bluebells in France have flowered well and I am going to save the
seed, advice on growing on would be helpful. I don't want to put them
straight into the earth as I did in England - is there another method
that you could recommend?

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.nhpa.co.uk/bin/nhpa.dll/g...htext=00033492

Old 22-05-2008, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote in
pics of non-scripta seedlings up on my wibble - just

went outside and
photographed them.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/non-scripta1.jpg

Rusty, thanks for the picture - I think that settles it; I
don't have bluebells. They are either grass or leaks.

But I am a bit confused by the centre bluebell in your
photo - my bluebells don't have prickly leaves :-)

Davy
Old 22-05-2008, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
. 109.145...
Last autumn I sowed some british bluebell seeds and now
something has come up and I don't know if they are
bluebells.

The seedlings I see have grass-like leaves erupting
fountain-like from a central stem. I book I have says the
seedlings look like chives - which I understand to mean
have individual round stems.

Can anyone help?
Davy

http://www.bluebellseeds.com/plant.htm
Look at the bottom of the page :~)
Jenny

Old 22-05-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in
:

http://www.bluebellseeds.com/plant.htm

Jenny,
excellent photos; that sorts it - mine are not bluebells.
Some ******* has sold me leak seeds masquerading as
bluebell seeds!!!
thanks
Davy

Old 22-05-2008, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

I bow to your expertise Rusty, I just know that someone on group sent
me an envelope of seeds and they looked exactly like grass. This year
my bluebells in France have flowered well and I am going to save the
seed, advice on growing on would be helpful. I don't want to put them
straight into the earth as I did in England - is there another method
that you could recommend?

I put them in flowerpots, and kept them watered with the rest, and lo!
They appeared the following spring.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 22-05-2008, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . 145
from Davy contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote in
pics of non-scripta seedlings up on my wibble - just

went outside and
photographed them.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/non-scripta1.jpg

Rusty, thanks for the picture - I think that settles it; I
don't have bluebells. They are either grass or leaks.

It's a grass, of sorts. I have a big one of those (Oo-er, missus!) in a
pot. I *THINK* it's a houseplant, but I don't know its name. I have a
neighbour who's into houseplants, so I'll ask her.

It isn't a leek.

But I am a bit confused by the centre bluebell in your
photo - my bluebells don't have prickly leaves :-)

Ah, that is a Christmas Bluebell.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 22-05-2008, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 9:55 pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

I bow to your expertise Rusty, I just know that someone on group sent
me an envelope of seeds and they looked exactly like grass. This year
my bluebells in France have flowered well and I am going to save the
seed, advice on growing on would be helpful. I don't want to put them
straight into the earth as I did in England - is there another method
that you could recommend?

I put them in flowerpots, and kept them watered with the rest, and lo!
They appeared the following spring.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Then I will copy the Rusty method :-)

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 9:29 pm, Davy wrote:
"JennyC" wrote :

http://www.bluebellseeds.com/plant.htm

Jenny,
excellent photos; that sorts it - mine are not bluebells.
Some ******* has sold me leak seeds masquerading as
bluebell seeds!!!
thanks
Davy

LOL Leeks are nice look after them and you can make some good soup
with just a couple of potatoes :-)

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

LOL Leeks are nice look after them and you can make some good soup
with just a couple of potatoes :-)

Potato soup is naff - you need some leeks with them...

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Bluebell rescue! Mike Lyle United Kingdom 6 15-04-2005 07:15 PM
English Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 0 25-06-2003 08:28 PM
English Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 0 23-06-2003 09:44 PM
Bluebell seeds Charlie United Kingdom 40 19-06-2003 06:32 PM
Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 2 25-05-2003 09:44 AM