Old 23-05-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What do bluebell seedlings look like?

Davy wrote in
. 109.145:

Last autumn I sowed some british bluebell seeds and now
something has come up and I don't know if they are
bluebells.

The seedlings I see have grass-like leaves erupting
fountain-like from a central stem. I book I have says

the
seedlings look like chives - which I understand to mean
have individual round stems.

Can anyone help?

Davy

I think I have sussed this. I am pretty sure the plants
are pendulous sedge. We have many large pendulous sedge
plants with drop a lot of seed and some of this must have
gone into the leaves which I then used to make leafmould
to make seedling compost!

thanks everyone

Davy
Old 23-05-2008, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Davy - do you have a pet bird, or do you feed the birds?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-05-2008, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . 145
from Davy contains these words:

I think I have sussed this. I am pretty sure the plants
are pendulous sedge. We have many large pendulous sedge
plants with drop a lot of seed and some of this must have
gone into the leaves which I then used to make leafmould
to make seedling compost!

I have loads of similar plants under the bird feeder - using-up seed
after the cockatiel turned-up its toes. I'm pretty sure it will be
something of that ilk.

Shortly, I'll post a photo of a grown-up plant, with seed-head.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-05-2008, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Grown-up seedling:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/grass_001.jpg - 141 KB

Better detail, but you'll need broadbeans -

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/grass_002.jpg - 5,964 KB

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Bluebell rescue! Mike Lyle United Kingdom 6 15-04-2005 07:15 PM
English Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 0 25-06-2003 08:28 PM
English Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 0 23-06-2003 09:44 PM
Bluebell seeds Charlie United Kingdom 40 19-06-2003 06:32 PM
Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 2 25-05-2003 09:44 AM