Old 20-05-2008, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What do bluebell seedlings look like?

Last autumn I sowed some british bluebell seeds and now
something has come up and I don't know if they are
bluebells.

The seedlings I see have grass-like leaves erupting
fountain-like from a central stem. I book I have says the
seedlings look like chives - which I understand to mean
have individual round stems.

Can anyone help?

Davy
Old 20-05-2008, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
. 109.145...
Last autumn I sowed some british bluebell seeds and now
something has come up and I don't know if they are
bluebells.

The seedlings I see have grass-like leaves erupting
fountain-like from a central stem. I book I have says the
seedlings look like chives - which I understand to mean
have individual round stems.

Can anyone help?

Davy

What you have sounds like what you wanted. Bluebell leaves aren't round
section at any stage in my experience.

Mary

Old 20-05-2008, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Davy wrote:
Last autumn I sowed some british bluebell seeds and now
something has come up and I don't know if they are
bluebells.

The seedlings I see have grass-like leaves erupting
fountain-like from a central stem. I book I have says the
seedlings look like chives - which I understand to mean
have individual round stems.

Can anyone help?

ISTR the very first seed leaf is round like chives, but the true leaves
quickly follow and it soon looks like a scale model of the adult. Quite
a lot of monocots look like this as a seedling so it isn't distinctive.

A picture would resolve any ambiguities. If the leaves all come from the
ground then I'd say it was probably a bluebell. If they are in rosettes
around a central stem then I have not idea what it is.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-05-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 May 2008 08:34:48 -0500, Davy
wrote:

Last autumn I sowed some british bluebell seeds and now
something has come up and I don't know if they are
bluebells.

The seedlings I see have grass-like leaves erupting
fountain-like from a central stem. I book I have says the
seedlings look like chives - which I understand to mean
have individual round stems.

Can anyone help?

Davy

Sounds about right.

We have spanish bluebells and they grow absolutely everywhere. I've
been digging them up and taking them in sacks to the neighbours. They
don't die if you compost them. (Or leave them in plastic bags)
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 20-05-2008, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . 145
from Davy contains these words:

Last autumn I sowed some british bluebell seeds and now
something has come up and I don't know if they are
bluebells.

The seedlings I see have grass-like leaves erupting
fountain-like from a central stem. I book I have says the
seedlings look like chives - which I understand to mean
have individual round stems.

Mine looked more like wild garlic leaves - ie, flat. Beginning with one
leaf, then another. However, don't expect flowers too soon - they are
likely to appear several years after sowing.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 20-05-2008, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

I've got a packet of bluebell seeds that I bought in March. Other then
what is
recommended on the packet, is there any reason why I have to wait
until autumn
to sow them?

The only reason I can think of is that they might get eaten by
something. In the wild, they ripen and fall in early summer IIRC.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-05-2008, 02:58 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:57:27 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Davy wrote:
[...]

Since the bluebells are coming into seed now and presumably would die back to the ground in early June, spreading their seed then, I can't see why you cannot sow them at that time.
Old 21-05-2008, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote in

Mine looked more like wild garlic leaves - ie, flat.

Beginning with one
leaf, then another. However, don't expect flowers too

soon - they are
likely to appear several years after sowing.

I googled wild garlic photo and found that wild garlic
have largish flat wide leaves each held on a stalk. That
certainly does not describe what I have. My leaves are
narrow grasslike and without stalks. So I wonder what I
have got?
Davy
Old 21-05-2008, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:
If the leaves all come from
the ground then I'd say it was probably a bluebell. If

they are in
rosettes around a central stem then I have not idea what

it is.

The leaves don't come from the ground - more grass-like -
narrow unstalked leaves arranged around a very short
central stem - fountain-like. I must try to get a photo.

I've got a packet of bluebell seeds that I bought in

March. Other then
what is recommended on the packet, is there any reason

why I have to
wait until autumn to sow them?

Bluebell seeds need to be stratified - ie exposed to
frost. So if planted now they would be dormant until a
winter frost wakes them up and would probably sprout next
spring. But you might lose a lot in the meantime.
Some people cheat by putting the seeds in the fridge for a
weak.
Davy

Old 21-05-2008, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90388643

@N00/447229129/in/set-721576000495

Ah yes I know what bluebell leaves look like but I am
trying to identify bluebell seedlings - my book says they
don't resemble mature bluebells.
Davy

Old 21-05-2008, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Right,

I have managed to photograph the seedlings; you can see
them here

http://www.users.callnetuk.com/~davystokes/misc.htm

thanks

Davy

Old 21-05-2008, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 20, 2:34 pm, Davy wrote:
Last autumn I sowed some british bluebell seeds and now
something has come up and I don't know if they are
bluebells.

The seedlings I see have grass-like leaves erupting
fountain-like from a central stem. I book I have says the
seedlings look like chives - which I understand to mean
have individual round stems.

Can anyone help?

Davy

They look exactly like grass that has just germinated from seed and
can easily be mistaken for weeds, they are very fine. I was sent a
packet of bluebell seeds saved from their own plants and I almost
weedkilled them until I remember that the person who sent them to me
had warned me not to mistake them for weeds. Was it Janet Tweedy or
Susie who sent them to me? Apologies for not remembering :-)

Judith
Old 21-05-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
. 109.145...
Right,

I have managed to photograph the seedlings; you can see
them here

http://www.users.callnetuk.com/~davystokes/misc.htm

thanks

Davy

They look exactly like bluebell leaves to me!

Mary

Old 21-05-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 21, 4:46 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Davy" wrote in message

. 109.145...

Right,

I have managed to photograph the seedlings; you can see
them here

http://www.users.callnetuk.com/~davystokes/misc.htm

thanks

Davy

They look exactly like bluebell leaves to me!

Mary

They certainly look like Bluebell leaves Mary but NOT like how they
look when they have just germinated from seed, these look at least 2-3
years old. When the seed germinates they look EXACTLY like a grass
shoot. I'm intrigued now as to what they really are.

Judith
Old 21-05-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/5/08 15:46, in article
45, "Davy"
wrote:

Right,

I have managed to photograph the seedlings; you can see
them here

http://www.users.callnetuk.com/~davystokes/misc.htm

thanks

Davy

I think they look a bit like Hemerocallis or something in that line.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Bluebell rescue! Mike Lyle United Kingdom 6 15-04-2005 07:15 PM
English Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 0 25-06-2003 08:28 PM
English Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 0 23-06-2003 09:44 PM
Bluebell seeds Charlie United Kingdom 40 19-06-2003 06:32 PM
Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 2 25-05-2003 09:44 AM