Old 22-05-2008, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT help? ? Mary Fisher

I am trying to make arrangements to have an Eglu picked up from Devon
and transported to London, I have tried National carriers and they
want more than the Eglu cost initially! Does anyone know of any
carrier, not the major ones, too expensive, who will deliver this in
London for a reasonable fee. Mary, you have an Eglu, the one I have
is for 2 hens, would it go into an ordinary size car?

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
I am trying to make arrangements to have an Eglu picked up from Devon
and transported to London, I have tried National carriers and they
want more than the Eglu cost initially! Does anyone know of any
carrier, not the major ones, too expensive, who will deliver this in
London for a reasonable fee. Mary, you have an Eglu, the one I have
is for 2 hens, would it go into an ordinary size car?

Judith

We take ours in the back of our Laguna estate, I dare say we could fit it on
the back seat but the (curved) run sections, which separate, might be
difficult. The run parts could be strapped to a roof rack.

We use DHL for overseas carriage and find it excellent. And far cheaper (for
abroad) than Parcel Force.

I hope you enjoy your Eglu :-)

Mary

Old 22-05-2008, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 1:53 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

I am trying to make arrangements to have an Eglu picked up from Devon
and transported to London, I have tried National carriers and they
want more than the Eglu cost initially! Does anyone know of any
carrier, not the major ones, too expensive, who will deliver this in
London for a reasonable fee. Mary, you have an Eglu, the one I have
is for 2 hens, would it go into an ordinary size car?

Judith

We take ours in the back of our Laguna estate, I dare say we could fit it on
the back seat but the (curved) run sections, which separate, might be
difficult. The run parts could be strapped to a roof rack.

We use DHL for overseas carriage and find it excellent. And far cheaper (for
abroad) than Parcel Force.

I hope you enjoy your Eglu :-)

Mary

Thanks Mary I will try DHL

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Another question Mary, do you know approx the weight of the entire
thing including run?

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Another question Mary, do you know approx the weight of the entire
thing including run?

Judith

Not off-hand. I can't get websites right now, I thought all the technical
information was on Omlet's website. Ask on
http://www.omlet.co.uk/misc/technical_help.php

Spouse, who is small but strong, can lift just the house part by himself, I
can't. We usually carry it between us but we have to negotiate a difficult
route. The elements of the run are plastic coated steel wire, they're quite
heavy but because they're curved they're not as easily lifted as would be
the same weight in flat panels.

Of course - you'll need the weight for DHL - sorry I didn't think of that.
We've never sent anything as heavy ...

Mary

Old 22-05-2008, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 3:23 pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2008 06:48:42 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

Comments on Eglus by Expats in Francehttp://www.grumpyoldgitsinfrance.com/GOGIF_old/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=2186
--

Martin

Thanks Martin I will take a look after supper.

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 3:40 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in message

Another question Mary, do you know approx the weight of the entire
thing including run?

Judith

Not off-hand. I can't get websites right now, I thought all the technical
information was on Omlet's website. Ask onhttp://www.omlet.co.uk/misc/technical_help.php

Spouse, who is small but strong, can lift just the house part by himself, I
can't. We usually carry it between us but we have to negotiate a difficult
route. The elements of the run are plastic coated steel wire, they're quite
heavy but because they're curved they're not as easily lifted as would be
the same weight in flat panels.

Of course - you'll need the weight for DHL - sorry I didn't think of that.
We've never sent anything as heavy ...

Mary

Martin gave me a web site so I will take a look there to see if they
have any info on weight. Thanks Mary.

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 3:51 pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:40:56 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in message

Another question Mary, do you know approx the weight of the entire
thing including run?

Judith

Not off-hand. I can't get websites right now, I thought all the technical
information was on Omlet's website. Ask on
http://www.omlet.co.uk/misc/technical_help.php

Spouse, who is small but strong, can lift just the house part by himself, I
can't. We usually carry it between us but we have to negotiate a difficult
route. The elements of the run are plastic coated steel wire, they're quite
heavy but because they're curved they're not as easily lifted as would be
the same weight in flat panels.

Of course - you'll need the weight for DHL - sorry I didn't think of that.
We've never sent anything as heavy ...

Buying a second hand 2CV, and using that, will work out cheaper.
--

Martin

Now you are scaring me.

Judith
Old 22-05-2008, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Judith in France writes
I am trying to make arrangements to have an Eglu picked up from Devon
and transported to London, I have tried National carriers and they
want more than the Eglu cost initially! Does anyone know of any
carrier, not the major ones, too expensive, who will deliver this in
London for a reasonable fee.

what might be reasonable?

I can't see anyone being cheap - it must be fairly heavy and bulky thing
to ship.

Have you tried one of the cheaper courier operations such as Parcel2go?
AIUI They don't do their own dcollection/eliveries, but use other
carriers, but can work out a lot cheaper then using them direct.

http://www.parcel2go.com

http://www.interparcel.com/

http://www.parceldrop.co.uk/index.php

--
Chris French

Old 22-05-2008, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 5:22 pm, chris French
wrote:
In message
,
Judith in France writes

I am trying to make arrangements to have an Eglu picked up from Devon
and transported to London, I have tried National carriers and they
want more than the Eglu cost initially! Does anyone know of any
carrier, not the major ones, too expensive, who will deliver this in
London for a reasonable fee.

what might be reasonable?

I can't see anyone being cheap - it must be fairly heavy and bulky thing
to ship.

Have you tried one of the cheaper courier operations such as Parcel2go?
AIUI They don't do their own dcollection/eliveries, but use other
carriers, but can work out a lot cheaper then using them direct.

http://www.parcel2go.com

http://www.interparcel.com/

http://www.parceldrop.co.uk/index.php

--
Chris French

Hi Chris, lovely to hear from you, how are Helen and the children? Is
Helen still doctoring at Cambridge? Thanks for the link I will take a
look. I thought around £100 for transport would be a price I would
pay but not over that, is that reasonable do you think?

Judith

Old 23-05-2008, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article a4b6760e-b63e-4a03-b1ff-
,
says...
On May 22, 5:22 pm, chris French
wrote:
In message
,
Judith in France writes

[...]

Try
www.parcelflight.co.uk they have an easy to use estimator on the
first page for getting a quote, as Chris says its always cheaper to use a
portal site than the carrier direct, but you will have two problems
weight and volume and could find yourself into the Large package category
quite quickly and having a play on your behalf I can not even get a quote
on a parcel of a meter cube So I think a house remover may work better
find one that has some space heading in your direction, if you are
piggybacking on another load it should be a bit more reasonable. (The
thing doesn't dismantle does it?)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 23-05-2008, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 23, 8:36 am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article a4b6760e-b63e-4a03-b1ff-
,
says...

On May 22, 5:22 pm, chris French
wrote:
In message
,
Judith in France writes

[...]

Thanks Charlie, no, the eglu itself doesn't dismantle it looks like a
small bubble car lol. The run does dismantle.

Judith
Old 23-05-2008, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:36:35 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

So I think a house remover may work better find one that has some space
heading in your direction, if you are piggybacking on another load it
should be a bit more reasonable. (The thing doesn't dismantle does it?)

Or using the return half of a house move when they would normally be
traveling empty. There are also "man with a van" services available via
e-Bay, we've used one to get furniture from the south up here and some one
else used another to take stuff from us to Ireland. Our stuff arrived when
they said it would and was, well transported. The one taking stuff also
arrived when they said they would. I can probably find out who those
where, it was the other half doing the buying/selling.

IIRC it was about £80 to £100 for a pine wardrobe, chest of drawers,
bedside cabinat and mirror. They operate on a weekly run around the
country, once they have the pick ups/drops booked they work out a route
and give the ETAs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-05-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 23, 9:51 am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dave, I am going to look at all the links and advice suggested.

Judith
Old 23-05-2008, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 23, 11:24 am, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 23 May 2008 02:37:50 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
[...]

When living abroad do as the locals do. Find locals who have chickens and ask
where they bought their hutches.
--

Martin

I have already bought the Eglu!!!!