Old 26-05-2008, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrot Fly

Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Judith
Old 26-05-2008, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote
Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Build a box around the bed at least 18inches high with no gaps. Won't ensure
no damage but will limit it. You could also cover the box with Enviromesh so
it's sealed to the little blighters.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-05-2008, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 26, 4:27 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote

Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Build a box around the bed at least 18inches high with no gaps. Won't ensure
no damage but will limit it. You could also cover the box with Enviromesh so
it's sealed to the little blighters.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

The row is 15 metres long Bob and we have 3 rows in different
places!!! Excellent advice but I think our veggie garden is too big
to box off the carrot bit.

Judith

Judith
Old 26-05-2008, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 26, 4:27 pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:12:08 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

Grow carrots under garden fleece.http://www.gardening-naturally.com/a...t_fly_and_carr...
--

Martin

Thanks Martin, I did think about that as it would appear that they
can't fly (much?) and crawl along the earth, Bob's idea in principle
is great but not on the scale that we are growing. I will be
supplying the entire village. I will take a look at the site, thank
Martin.

Judith
Old 26-05-2008, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 26, 4:56 pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:31:27 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 26, 4:27 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote

Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Build a box around the bed at least 18inches high with no gaps. Won't ensure
no damage but will limit it. You could also cover the box with Enviromesh so
it's sealed to the little blighters.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

The row is 15 metres long Bob and we have 3 rows in different
places!!! Excellent advice but I think our veggie garden is too big
to box off the carrot bit.

You'll turn orange if you eat so many carrots.
--

Martin

I can remember when I was young taking tablets that contained whatever
it was (carotein?) to get a tan, it worked only it also turned the
palm of hands orange as well, I think they banned it shortly
afterwards.

Judith

Old 26-05-2008, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Judith

Plant marigolds (tagetes?) in between the rows to act as a natural
deterrent. Google "companion planting" for more info.

Another method is to sow carrots in a plot previously occupied by
onions/garlic whereby the residual roots will give off a scent to deter
carrot fly.
Old 26-05-2008, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 26, 7:46 pm, Sandy wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Judith

Plant marigolds (tagetes?) in between the rows to act as a natural
deterrent. Google "companion planting" for more info.

Another method is to sow carrots in a plot previously occupied by
onions/garlic whereby the residual roots will give off a scent to deter
carrot fly.

Thanks Sandy I have a few trays of tagetes that were meant for
elsewhere but I am happy to try your suggestion.

Judith
Old 26-05-2008, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On May 26, 7:46 pm, Sandy wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Judith

Plant marigolds (tagetes?) in between the rows to act as a natural
deterrent. Google "companion planting" for more info.

Another method is to sow carrots in a plot previously occupied by
onions/garlic whereby the residual roots will give off a scent to deter
carrot fly.

Thanks Sandy I have a few trays of tagetes that were meant for
elsewhere but I am happy to try your suggestion.

Judith

We sow occasional rows of spring onions between the rows of carrrots, and
choosing a resistant variety is supposed to help.

I always thought that marigolds were the companion plant for tomatoes where
greenfly and whitefly are a problem?

John

Old 26-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith in France View Post
Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Judith

May be too late, but you can plant alternate rows of carrot and a herb. It is the smell of carrots that attracts the fly, so anything that masks it should prevent them. Also sow thinly so you do not have to thin the rows.

Could you not just put fleece over your long rows this year?
Old 26-05-2008, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wroteafter
"Bob Hobden" wittered on
"Judith in France" wrote

Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Build a box around the bed at least 18inches high with no gaps. Won't
ensure
no damage but will limit it. You could also cover the box with Enviromesh
so
it's sealed to the little blighters.

The row is 15 metres long Bob and we have 3 rows in different
places!!! Excellent advice but I think our veggie garden is too big
to box off the carrot bit.

Whilst we grow everything on our allotments in traditional rows (easier to
hoe that way) the carrots we broadcast seed into our movable "carrot box",
so perhaps you need to make one before next planting season. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-05-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 26, 10:15 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
[...]

Edward has read this thread and has taken note, thanks Bob.

Judith
Old 26-05-2008, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 26, 9:42 pm, "John T" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On May 26, 7:46 pm, Sandy wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
Bromophos is no longer available, so I am told, what do others do to
control it?

Judith

Plant marigolds (tagetes?) in between the rows to act as a natural
deterrent. Google "companion planting" for more info.

Another method is to sow carrots in a plot previously occupied by
onions/garlic whereby the residual roots will give off a scent to deter
carrot fly.

Thanks Sandy I have a few trays of tagetes that were meant for
elsewhere but I am happy to try your suggestion.

Judith

We sow occasional rows of spring onions between the rows of carrrots, and
choosing a resistant variety is supposed to help.

I always thought that marigolds were the companion plant for tomatoes where
greenfly and whitefly are a problem?

John

If it helps John I can do onions and garlic and flowers if it keeps
the pests away, now the rabbits are quite another thing, time to
reload the gun!

Judith
Old 27-05-2008, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On May 26, 9:42 pm, "John T" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in

On May 26, 7:46 pm, Sandy wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
[...]

I was about to suggest Renardine but it seems the eurocrats have banned that
as well trouble is pellets make lots of holes in the cabbages so you can't
win.
Derek

Old 27-05-2008, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 12:02 am, "Derek"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On May 26, 9:42 pm, "John T" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in

On May 26, 7:46 pm, Sandy wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
[...]

Derek, it is almost a fight with nature, I wonder what Nature is
telling us? My sister's veggie garden has been totally covered in a
cage like structure, it is enormous with a very fine mesh, it even has
a walk in door and is about 7ft tall. She grows squash, melon, under
heat, in fact everything in there and she never has problems with
carrot fly or the dreaded cabbage white. We may have to bite the
bullet and consider getting someone in to put up a similar structure
but I dread to think of the cost. Edward is keen that we use few
chemicals as we can and I don't like food to be sprayed with any
chemicals but it is a losing battle at times.

Judith
Old 27-05-2008, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 3:42 pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008 04:43:59 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 27, 12:02 am, "Derek"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On May 26, 9:42 pm, "John T" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in

On May 26, 7:46 pm, Sandy wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
[...]

Fleece works for us.
--

Martin

Where, oh one of all gardening knowledge, can I buy fleece is vast
amounts?

Judith