Old 31-05-2008, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ornithology and Gardening

Hi all

Just looking to get trees pruned and a fence put up so decided to take the
bird box down first.
The hole has been over enlarged so we haven't had any visitors there for a
while.
Climbed the ladder and peared in to see a tit of some variety staring
back!!!
Somehow they've snook in without me noticing and started nesting - I do keep
a reasonable eye on the bird life, so I'm suprised they've managed to build
a nest without me noticing.

Now to the questions:

1 Will it scare off the bird if the tree, a silver birch, is seriously
pruned (probably need chain saws!)
2 How long will it take for the eggs to hatch and the babies to flee the
nest if I decide to wait?
3 Is it likely I will have scared it off anyway having put a ladder up
directly below the box and peered in?

TIA

Phil

Old 31-05-2008, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/5/08 15:57, in article ,
"scullsterhome" wrote:

Hi all

Just looking to get trees pruned and a fence put up so decided to take the
bird box down first.
The hole has been over enlarged so we haven't had any visitors there for a
while.
Climbed the ladder and peared in to see a tit of some variety staring
back!!!
Somehow they've snook in without me noticing and started nesting - I do keep
a reasonable eye on the bird life, so I'm suprised they've managed to build
a nest without me noticing.

Now to the questions:

1 Will it scare off the bird if the tree, a silver birch, is seriously
pruned (probably need chain saws!)

Yes of course it will. Think of it as your home and how you'd feel if
someone came at it with a chainsaw. In any case, it's kinder to the tree to
wait until the autumn/winter to do that job.

2 How long will it take for the eggs to hatch and the babies to flee the
nest if I decide to wait?

Not at all sure but two to three weeks at a guess. I'd look on the RSPB
site if I were you.

3 Is it likely I will have scared it off anyway having put a ladder up
directly below the box and peered in?

As long as you left the area and took the ladder away fairly swiftly, it
should be fine.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-05-2008, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 May 2008 15:57:55 +0100, "scullsterhome"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Now to the questions:

1 Will it scare off the bird if the tree, a silver birch, is seriously
pruned (probably need chain saws!)
2 How long will it take for the eggs to hatch and the babies to flee the
nest if I decide to wait?
3 Is it likely I will have scared it off anyway having put a ladder up
directly below the box and peered in?

Perhaps. Does your visage have a scaring effect on horses, for
example?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 31-05-2008, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Perhaps. Does your visage have a scaring effect on horses, for
example?

I would think that this unlikely, as my christian name (can we use the term
"christian name" freely these days without offending some over-inflated
extremist imigrant religion and therefore all the PC namby pamby
politicians?) is I believe derived from Greek with the meaning "lover of
horses" (hopefully not in the biblical sense - whoops there I go again with
the religious undertones).
Wow that's some single sentence response, but it appears to be structured
and punctuated, if not spelt correctly.

Phil

Old 31-05-2008, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Yes of course it will. Think of it as your home and how you'd feel if
someone came at it with a chainsaw. In any case, it's kinder to the tree
wait until the autumn/winter to do that job.

Actually someone did try to shake us out of our house recently; but we
decided to stay - think it was termed an earthquake at the time .

2 How long will it take for the eggs to hatch and the babies to flee the
nest if I decide to wait?

Not at all sure but two to three weeks at a guess. I'd look on the RSPB
site if I were you.

OK I'll give RSPB a look

3 Is it likely I will have scared it off anyway having put a ladder up
directly below the box and peered in?

As long as you left the area and took the ladder away fairly swiftly, it
should be fine.

--

Rapid careful retreat once I knew bird was in residence.

Phil

Old 01-06-2008, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

It's against the law to disturb nesting birds. Leave it until they've
gone.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk