Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vibrating flymo

Hello,.
My Flymo Hover Compact 330 is suffering from excessive vibration. It's
shredded the belt, which I've replaced and I think changing the blade is
next. However it's in very good nick - no chips or bent. Also tightened up
all the screws.

Any thoughts or fixes, Google is in this case not my friend!

Regards,
Eddie

Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddie G0EHV" wrote in message
Hello,.
My Flymo Hover Compact 330 is suffering from excessive vibration. It's
shredded the belt, which I've replaced and I think changing the blade is
next. However it's in very good nick - no chips or bent. Also tightened up
all the screws.

Any thoughts or fixes, Google is in this case not my friend!

Regards,
Eddie

Just a thought ! If the blade not placed on spacers correctly could cause a
wobble resulting in vibration .
Have to say had several Flymos , and just recently bought another and never
had any problems
Hope you manage to solve it .

Tony

Old 02-06-2008, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddie G0EHV" wrote in message
Hello,.
My Flymo Hover Compact 330 is suffering from excessive vibration. It's
shredded the belt, which I've replaced and I think changing the blade is
next. However it's in very good nick - no chips or bent. Also tightened up
all the screws.

Any thoughts or fixes, Google is in this case not my friend!

Regards,
Eddie

Maybe the blade is out of balance?

Regards

Pat Macguire

Old 02-06-2008, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"P & H Macguire" writes:

| Maybe the blade is out of balance?

A blade that is out of balance or not centralised is the most likely
answer, and easiest to deal with. Take the blade out, stick a thin
knife through the hole and see how it balances. If it doesn't, file
or grind it down until it does. If it does, check that the blade is
properly central on the shaft, and there is no play between it and
the shaft.

If neither are the case, then the bearings may well be on the way
out. Regrettably, nowadays, the simplest solution is to buy a new
mower. A petrol one may be worth having repaired; and electric one
definitely isn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day eddie,

the blade might look in excellent condition but is it in balance?
usually the balance of the blade is checked at the time it is off for
sharpening.

another is the impellor might their be a broken fin or maybe some
object lodged??

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 11:11:25 +0100, "Eddie G0EHV"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 03-06-2008, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for all the tips with my Flymo problem.

The blade or the bearings seem to be favorite.

The blade does balance so that may be OK.
If i run the machine without a blade it's as smooth as silk - won't cut
grass though 8-)

I'm going to try a blade swap with my son in law's machine and see what
happens.

Pity to scrap it, the machine is in great condition, it just vibrates like
ther's no tomorrow!

Regards,
Eddie

I'll post a fix if I find one.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day eddie,

sounds like you have pretty much ascertained it is a blade issue, it
may balance up (how did you check the balance?), but it may have a
slight warp or something, any you most likley will find a new blade
will be the go.

Old 13-06-2008, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vibrating flymo - Solved.

"Eddie G0EHV" wrote in message
Thanks for all the tips with my Flymo problem.

The blade or the bearings seem to be favorite.

The blade does balance so that may be OK.
If i run the machine without a blade it's as smooth as silk - won't cut
grass though 8-)

I'm going to try a blade swap with my son in law's machine and see what
happens.

Pity to scrap it, the machine is in great condition, it just vibrates like
ther's no tomorrow!

Regards,
Eddie

I'll post a fix if I find one.

Hello again,

Well I swapped the blades over with my son in law.........
Both machines performed fine! However his machine requires a 300mm blade,
mine a 330mm, so swapped them back.

Today I got a new blade from B&Q after waiting for 5 weeks for them to come
into stock.
Fitted blade and machine now is pretty good, not perfect but a lot smoother.

Seems the blade balance is very critical, the old blade looks OK and
balances fine on a knife edge as recommended.
Maybe the bearings are a bit "iffy".

Now to get the lawn cut.......
Maybe not, just had a heavy shower and the grass is soaking wet!!!!!!!

Thanks again.

Eddie

Old 10-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Registered User

Hello everyone, I have replaced the belt on my flymo glider 350 but it's vibrating quite bad, I have checked and re-checked everything and all seems to be done correctly but still vibrating. I read on here that the bearings could be done? I heard something rattling in my machine and when I found what it was it was a small steel ball, is this a bearing? if so can you tell me where it should be? Or is it maybe just that I have picked it up from garden at some point lol Thanks in advance

Electric mulching lawn mower vibrating Jack Sprat[_3_] Lawns 0 23-08-2009 10:01 PM
Flymo L400 petrol tank Ronnie L Lawns 2 02-04-2009 02:06 PM
Flymo drivebelt problem Fat Freddy's Cat United Kingdom 1 29-04-2004 09:11 PM
Are Flymo electric hovers cr*p? Matt United Kingdom 6 10-08-2003 02:13 AM
Flymo probs! JK Gardening 0 04-05-2003 05:08 PM