Old 08-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Matt

Default Are Flymo electric hovers cr*p?

I need a new mower and I am tempted by a Flymo Compact Hover one of the ones
around £70-80. Thing is having researched on Google groups it seems many
people are unimpressed. So does anyone here have one? and if so are they ok?

Cheers

Matt

---

Old 08-08-2003, 10:04 PM
ned

Matt wrote:
I need a new mower and I am tempted by a Flymo Compact Hover one of
the ones around £70-80. Thing is having researched on Google groups
it seems many people are unimpressed. So does anyone here have one?
and if so are they ok?

Can we presume its the Micro Compact model, RRP £69.99, £59.99 at
Littlewoods on-line next day delivery?
Flymo are budget products. You get what you pay for. This one is
bottom of the range. Don't expect miracles. It won't give you a
striped bowling green.
That said, my Flymo Turbo Compact does the job I require, jiggling
round curved borders and I am not looking to pass it off at the next
car boot sale.

It's basic. It's reliable.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Matt

"ned" wrote in message
Can we presume its the Micro Compact model, RRP £69.99, £59.99 at
Littlewoods on-line next day delivery?

No I'm thinking of the Flymo Hover Compact 330 which is £76.46 at B&Q
online. Though I'm looking to get one instore if they have them.

That said, my Flymo Turbo Compact does the job I require, jiggling
round curved borders and I am not looking to pass it off at the next
car boot sale.

This sounds promising as I have a round lawn which doesn't lend itself to
cutting in straight lines. Do you find it easy to manoeuvre sideways?

Regards

Matt

..

---

Old 09-08-2003, 02:15 AM
ned

Matt wrote:
"ned" wrote in message
Can we presume its the Micro Compact model, RRP £69.99, £59.99 at
Littlewoods on-line next day delivery?

No I'm thinking of the Flymo Hover Compact 330 which is £76.46 at
B&Q online. Though I'm looking to get one instore if they have them.

That said, my Flymo Turbo Compact does the job I require, jiggling
round curved borders and I am not looking to pass it off at the

next
car boot sale.

This sounds promising as I have a round lawn which doesn't lend
itself to cutting in straight lines. Do you find it easy to

manoeuvre
sideways?

Oh, that's one of the natural features of a hover. You can swing it
from side to side, backwards and forwards to your hearts content.
Controlling the power cable is the bit that needs a bit of organising.

--
ned

Old 09-08-2003, 08:24 AM
AWM

"Matt" wrote in message
I need a new mower and I am tempted by a Flymo Compact Hover one of the

ones
around £70-80. Thing is having researched on Google groups it seems many
people are unimpressed. So does anyone here have one? and if so are they

ok?

Cheers

Matt

No they work OK -- the only problem I have had with cheap end Flymo mowers
is badly crimped spade connectors where the power wires goes into the
motor. BUT pay an extra 25 quid and get a bottom end wheeled petrol
mower -- a 41 cm with a B&S engine -- much much quicker to use than an
electric hover one -- cuts quicker and no stopping to re-arange the cable.
I have been using one for 4 years with no problems, only an oil change
every year and new blade every 2 seasons.

Old 09-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Rod

"Matt" wrote in message ...
I need a new mower and I am tempted by a Flymo Compact Hover one of the ones
around £70-80. Thing is having researched on Google groups it seems many
people are unimpressed. So does anyone here have one? and if so are they ok?

Cheers

They are cheaply mass produced but you get a lot of mowing out of them for the money. Should fit the bill for most smallish domestic
gardens if a super lawn isn't needed. I use big professional mowers at work but at home we've always used electric flymos ( Only 3
in 28 years)

Rod

Old 10-08-2003, 02:13 AM
A Troll aka Jeff Coles

Hi, I have used one, they are ok,and they are very manoverable although I
did find it blew a lot of grass about ( never have tried to workout why a
hover mower which blows air downward in order to ride on a cusion of air can
also "suck up" grass into the collecter box ). I prefer petrol mowers,
especially cylinder, but I use a cheapo wheeled/backroller flymo on my on
lawn as it is so small. Its quiet, it works well being as it is left outside
in all weathers and it gives me a nice striped lawn.

Jeff

"Matt" wrote in message
I need a new mower and I am tempted by a Flymo Compact Hover one of the

ones
around £70-80. Thing is having researched on Google groups it seems many
people are unimpressed. So does anyone here have one? and if so are they

ok?

Cheers

Matt

---

Cleaning electric Flymo with pressure washer - Y/N? Lobster United Kingdom 13 17-08-2013 07:20 PM
Flymo L400 petrol tank Ronnie L Lawns 2 02-04-2009 02:06 PM
Flymo GME electric rotavator - handbook (scan) anyone? Keith \(Dorset\) United Kingdom 1 21-09-2008 10:58 PM
Flymo drivebelt problem Fat Freddy's Cat United Kingdom 1 29-04-2004 09:11 PM
Flymo probs! JK Gardening 0 04-05-2003 05:08 PM