Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tell me more about nipping out broad bean tips

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I'm wondering if blackfly infestation is linked to latitude, so far there's
| been advice/experience from the far south, East Anglia and you - the closest
| to me.

To some extent. Hard winters reduce such things.

But living in a town makes more difference. If there aren't enough
of both the winter and summer hosts in the vicinity, there won't be
a permanent blackfly population. Same as for malaria.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I'm wondering if blackfly infestation is linked to latitude, so far
there's
| been advice/experience from the far south, East Anglia and you - the
closest
| to me.

To some extent. Hard winters reduce such things.

But living in a town makes more difference. If there aren't enough
of both the winter and summer hosts in the vicinity, there won't be
a permanent blackfly population. Same as for malaria.

Are you saying that towns make for more or less hostile condition for
blackfly?

Mary

Old 03-06-2008, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| But living in a town makes more difference. If there aren't enough
| of both the winter and summer hosts in the vicinity, there won't be
| a permanent blackfly population. Same as for malaria.
|
| Are you saying that towns make for more or less hostile condition for
| blackfly?

More hostile for the blackfly, in general.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| But living in a town makes more difference. If there aren't enough
| of both the winter and summer hosts in the vicinity, there won't be
| a permanent blackfly population. Same as for malaria.
|
| Are you saying that towns make for more or less hostile condition for
| blackfly?

More hostile for the blackfly, in general.

Thanks, that's encouraging :-)

Mary

Old 03-06-2008, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
I've never grown broad beans before but mine, sown in March I think, are
now about 8" high with lots of flowers.

There's no sign of blackfly on them but I'm sure I've heard something
about nipping out the tips being a preventative.

What's regarded as the tip? A couple of leaves or the lot above the
flowers?

What's the purpose?

TIA

Mary

Just found the packet, they were Suttons and dwarf. Pinching out the tips
was suggested as a blackfly prevention.

Should have read the packet first, innit!

Mary

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
fish nipping at each other Joel Ponds 6 11-07-2005 11:44 PM
dwarf french bean or broad bean? Amber Ormerod United Kingdom 12 06-09-2004 04:17 PM
Broad Bean "Red Epicure" Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 27-03-2003 12:32 PM
Broad Bean 'Red epicure' Derek Turner United Kingdom 1 26-01-2003 05:33 PM