Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My courgette seedlings eaten alive!

Returned from a brief trip to find my courgettes (which were probably late
anyway) destroyed. Is it too late to sow more? I know I can always plant
some and see but really it is the space - is it worth keeping the space
clear for them? I could use it for something else but courgettes is what i
want.

TIA
Tim w

Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
news
Returned from a brief trip to find my courgettes (which were probably late
anyway) destroyed. Is it too late to sow more? I know I can always plant
some and see but really it is the space - is it worth keeping the space
clear for them? I could use it for something else but courgettes is what i
want.

TIA
Tim w

No not too late, as you say they'll just be later. Why not sow them in pots
of compost and transplant them to ensure they get going properly?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "Tim W" wrote in message
| news | Returned from a brief trip to find my courgettes (which were probably late
| anyway) destroyed. Is it too late to sow more? I know I can always plant
| some and see but really it is the space - is it worth keeping the space
| clear for them? I could use it for something else but courgettes is what i
| want.
|
| No not too late, as you say they'll just be later. Why not sow them in pots
| of compost and transplant them to ensure they get going properly?

'Tis what I do, too ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 17:41:55 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

Returned from a brief trip to find my courgettes (which were probably late
anyway) destroyed. Is it too late to sow more? I know I can always plant
some and see but really it is the space - is it worth keeping the space
clear for them? I could use it for something else but courgettes is what i
want.

TIA
Tim w

Yes, do it. I germinated mine on wet kitchen paper only 10 days ago
and then potted them up, and they already have their first true
leaves.
You could look for plants which are a bit further ahead in a garden
centre but you will not get the same satisfaction as growing your own.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-06-2008, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Robert
(Plymouth)" writes

"Tim W" wrote in message
news
Returned from a brief trip to find my courgettes (which were probably late
anyway) destroyed. Is it too late to sow more? I know I can always plant
some and see but really it is the space - is it worth keeping the space
clear for them? I could use it for something else but courgettes is what i
want.

TIA
Tim w

No not too late, as you say they'll just be later. Why not sow them in pots
of compost and transplant them to ensure they get going properly?

All my Italian seeds ball type courgettes never germinated at all!
Didn't get large enough to be eaten by anything
I'm germinating some ordinary bush courgette varieties instead. No harm
in being late, most things sort of catch up especially in this weather!!
Start them off in pots in greenhouse to get them going.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 04-06-2008, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

....Why not sow them in pots of compost and transplant them to ensure they
get going properly?

That's what I did, little peat pots, and after about ten days the tap root
was coming through the bottom and I was going away for a week so I put them
in the beds but they were eaten, presumably by slugs. I thought I would be
good and organic and was relying on a barrier of fire ash only to keep the
slugs off and i think it rained quite heavily last week.

Tim W

Old 04-06-2008, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 21:21:18 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

....Why not sow them in pots of compost and transplant them to ensure they
get going properly?

That's what I did, little peat pots, and after about ten days the tap root
was coming through the bottom and I was going away for a week so I put them
in the beds but they were eaten, presumably by slugs. I thought I would be
good and organic and was relying on a barrier of fire ash only to keep the
slugs off and i think it rained quite heavily last week.

Tim W

I often find that plants grown on at home in pots and transplanted
when big enough are more attractive to slugs & snails than plants sown
directly in the soil. Frustrating, because the former method usually
gets better germination and you get the plants where you want them.
You just have to use whatever protection you can to stop them being
eaten. I'm afraid I resort to slug bait.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-06-2008, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pam Moore writes
wrote:

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Softer plants are more attractive, ie exactly what you get when you
apply warmth, water and food. Anything slug food I grow which I want to
transplant from greenhouse to outside, I start by growing it to fill its
pot (so it's no longer putting on lots of lush growth), and stop feeding
it, then transfer it to a set of shelves outside (where things don't
get bothered by slugs so much) and 'harden it off' outside (still no
food) before finally putting it in the ground.
--
Kay