Old 07-05-2009, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default clematis being eaten alive

- only planted last autumn so not much growth on them yet, and most
of the new flower buds tips have been munched on.

My Readers digest book says earwigs/slugs, but I picked off a couple
of tiny snails this morning. Can I win this way, or should I use a
chemical?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 07:52:11 +0100, bob said:

- only planted last autumn so not much growth on them yet, and most
of the new flower buds tips have been munched on.

My Readers digest book says earwigs/slugs, but I picked off a couple
of tiny snails this morning. Can I win this way, or should I use a
chemical?

Mice seem fond of Clematis, too. If you do choose the chemical route,
I'd recommend Sluggit and then pick off the dead snails or slugs next
morning and dispose of them.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 07-05-2009, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-07 07:52:11 +0100, bob said:

- only planted last autumn so not much growth on them yet, and most
of the new flower buds tips have been munched on.
My Readers digest book says earwigs/slugs, but I picked off a couple
of tiny snails this morning. Can I win this way, or should I use a
chemical?

Mice seem fond of Clematis, too. If you do choose the chemical route,
I'd recommend Sluggit and then pick off the dead snails or slugs next
morning and dispose of them.

Alternative is to grow clematis in large pots away from slugs (I grow in
greenhouse) until they have about 4ft of woody stem and then plant them
out. And don't cut them back lower than this. Although they still get
slug/snail damage, it's a lot less at that height, and they soon get to
a level of vigour where they are growing faster than the slugs can eat.

I had a clematis which simply 'disappeared', and didn't reappear the
following year. Something like 3 years later I was rooting around in the
flower bed and came across the roots of the clematis, still alive. So I
dug it up and planted it in the greenhouse, and it grew away happily.
They have a most remarkable will to live!

Also - don't be too ready to assume wilting stems are clematis wilt -
inspect closely, and you may find the stem has been almost rasped though
by a snail.
--
Kay
Old 07-05-2009, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 07:52:11 +0100, bob said:

- only planted last autumn so not much growth on them yet, and most
of the new flower buds tips have been munched on.

My Readers digest book says earwigs/slugs, but I picked off a couple
of tiny snails this morning. Can I win this way, or should I use a
chemical?

Mice seem fond of Clematis, too. If you do choose the chemical route,
I'd recommend Sluggit and then pick off the dead snails or slugs next
morning and dispose of them.

thanks Sacha, that's what I need - I'm in France, does anyone know if
it's the same brand name?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-07 07:52:11 +0100, bob said:

[...]

Interesting, I wondered if the growth rate could exceed munch speed.

I don't have a greenhouse, nor space for one. I suppose pots, while
not actually snail proof, at least have the advantage of breaking the
continuity with neighbouring terrain. I'll move them to pots in
autumn if the sluggit doesn't work.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Alternative is to grow clematis in large pots away from slugs (I grow in
greenhouse) until they have about 4ft of woody stem and then plant them
out. And don't cut them back lower than this. Although they still get
slug/snail damage, it's a lot less at that height, and they soon get to
a level of vigour where they are growing faster than the slugs can eat.

I note that it is generally advised to prune clematis fairly hard
after flowering, yet some of the most impressive displays I have
seen have been those where it has just been left to itself on a
wall or trellis.

Any thoughts?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 07:52:11 +0100, bob said:

- only planted last autumn so not much growth on them yet, and most
of the new flower buds tips have been munched on.

My Readers digest book says earwigs/slugs, but I picked off a couple
of tiny snails this morning. Can I win this way, or should I use a
chemical?

Mice seem fond of Clematis, too. If you do choose the chemical route,
I'd recommend Sluggit and then pick off the dead snails or slugs next
morning and dispose of them.

thanks Sacha, that's what I need - I'm in France, does anyone know if
it's the same brand name?
--

I can't find the name of the manufacturer (Murphy's?) but Mole Valley
Farmers stock something similar called Slug Clear. I don't see why

Old 07-05-2009, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 07:52:11 +0100, bob said:

[...]

I'd heard of Nematodes some time ago but was not gardening at the
time. It's a wonderful idea. I wonder if they always work, and
without untoward side-effects.

I'll look into it.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob[_1_] View Post
- only planted last autumn so not much growth on them yet, and most
of the new flower buds tips have been munched on.

My Readers digest book says earwigs/slugs, but I picked off a couple
of tiny snails this morning. Can I win this way, or should I use a
chemical?
Try a barrier round the bottom of the plant - sharp grit or something similar. And continue to pick of and destroy any snails you find. No good throwing them over the fence. They come back.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Chris J Dixon writes
K wrote:

Alternative is to grow clematis in large pots away from slugs (I grow in
greenhouse) until they have about 4ft of woody stem and then plant them
out. And don't cut them back lower than this. Although they still get
slug/snail damage, it's a lot less at that height, and they soon get to
a level of vigour where they are growing faster than the slugs can eat.

I note that it is generally advised to prune clematis fairly hard
after flowering, yet some of the most impressive displays I have
seen have been those where it has just been left to itself on a
wall or trellis.

Pruning depends on the clematis species (early, mid season or late
flowering) and is partly to bring the flowers into vision rather than
somewhere in the tree tops.
--
Kay

Old 07-05-2009, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 11:15:51 +0100, Chris J Dixon said:

K wrote:

Alternative is to grow clematis in large pots away from slugs (I grow in
greenhouse) until they have about 4ft of woody stem and then plant them
out. And don't cut them back lower than this. Although they still get
slug/snail damage, it's a lot less at that height, and they soon get to
a level of vigour where they are growing faster than the slugs can eat.

I note that it is generally advised to prune clematis fairly hard
after flowering, yet some of the most impressive displays I have
seen have been those where it has just been left to itself on a
wall or trellis.

Any thoughts?

Chris

It depends on the type of Clematis and they're split into groups with
regard to pruning requirements. That's why it helps to grow two of the
same type together, or indeed with a rose needing the same treatment.
Our C. redehriana is usually hacked back to the ground every year and
is up by the bedroom windows next summer.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 07:52:11 +0100, bob said:

[...]

We use them here on the Nursery area in particular and they do work.
Nothing is 100%, especially as we're surrounded by fields but they're
remarkably effective. We use other biological controls in the
greenhouses, too.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , bob says...

On 2009-05-07 07:52:11 +0100, bob said:

- only planted last autumn so not much growth on them yet, and most
of the new flower buds tips have been munched on.

My Readers digest book says earwigs/slugs, but I picked off a couple
of tiny snails this morning. Can I win this way, or should I use a
chemical?

Mice seem fond of Clematis, too. If you do choose the chemical route,
I'd recommend Sluggit and then pick off the dead snails or slugs next
morning and dispose of them.

thanks Sacha, that's what I need - I'm in France, does anyone know if
it's the same brand name?
--

Slug Clear is made by Murpheys and used to be called "Slug it" I spray
the plant and its surroundings, just wait for the weather man to say its