Old 19-06-2008, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bush Identification Please?

Hi,

Can anyone identify the bush displayed in the linked images.

It is ball shaped and around 9 feet diameter. Normally at this time of year
it looks like a giant snowball. This year however it looks a little 'sad'
and sparse of blossom. This may be due to the weird seasons we have been
having, or possibly affected by development to the rear of my property -
depending on how much its roots spread.

If I can discover what it is then maybe I can nurture it. I would hate to
lose it by inattention as it has sentimental value - it being gifted and
planted by my sister just before her death.

Images are at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_001.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_002.jpg

TIA

Mel.

Old 19-06-2008, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/6/08 16:30, in article , "Astral
Voyager" wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone identify the bush displayed in the linked images.

It is ball shaped and around 9 feet diameter. Normally at this time of year
it looks like a giant snowball. This year however it looks a little 'sad'
and sparse of blossom. This may be due to the weird seasons we have been
having, or possibly affected by development to the rear of my property -
depending on how much its roots spread.

If I can discover what it is then maybe I can nurture it. I would hate to
lose it by inattention as it has sentimental value - it being gifted and
planted by my sister just before her death.

Images are at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_001.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_002.jpg

We have a Philadelphus called 'Snowstorm' and if it isn't your plant it has
to be a first cousin. Ray has just brought me a sprig of it and I think it
must be close.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-06-2008, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote:

Images are at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_001.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_002.jpg

We have a Philadelphus called 'Snowstorm' and if it isn't your plant it
has
to be a first cousin. Ray has just brought me a sprig of it and I think
it
must be close.

Thanks for that. Looking at various images for types of Philadelphus on the
web the closest would appear to be 'Buckley's Quill' but I am not 100%
convinced by any of the images. The sources would also indicate the
Philadelphus are heavily scented but there is no discernable scent from
mine.

Mel.

Old 19-06-2008, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/6/08 22:00, in article , "Astral
Voyager" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote:

Images are at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_001.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_002.jpg

We have a Philadelphus called 'Snowstorm' and if it isn't your plant it
has
to be a first cousin. Ray has just brought me a sprig of it and I think
it
must be close.

Thanks for that. Looking at various images for types of Philadelphus on the
web the closest would appear to be 'Buckley's Quill' but I am not 100%
convinced by any of the images. The sources would also indicate the
Philadelphus are heavily scented but there is no discernable scent from
mine.

Mel.

Try on a warm day but I think scents do vary, especially on the cultivars.
50 years ago I met my first Phil in my parents' Guernsey garden. It
flowered prolifically and it scented like heaven on a stem. I've never met
one so good but it certainly was not any highly developed hybrid. I can only
say that you describe yours as not doing so well this year and I have never
managed to grow a good one. So, to me, yours looks wonderful!

Old 19-06-2008, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote:

So, to me, yours looks wonderful!

As said it is very poor this year - which is why I am worried about it.
Normally it is a giant while ball with hardly any greenery visible. A very
striking but short lived display. After the petals shed the ground around it
normally looks like it has snowed - totally whited over (and a pig to clear
up).

If I can find the photo I took of it last year I will post that up so you
can see what I mean.

Mel.

Old 19-06-2008, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/6/08 23:50, in article , "Astral
Voyager" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote:

So, to me, yours looks wonderful!

As said it is very poor this year - which is why I am worried about it.
Normally it is a giant while ball with hardly any greenery visible. A very
striking but short lived display. After the petals shed the ground around it
normally looks like it has snowed - totally whited over (and a pig to clear
up).

If I can find the photo I took of it last year I will post that up so you
can see what I mean.

Mel.

How old is this plant? Does it need watering? Have neighbouring builders
poured out cement buckets over its roots - I've known that happen a few
times!

Old 20-06-2008, 01:12 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Voyager View Post
Hi,

Can anyone identify the bush displayed in the linked images.

It is ball shaped and around 9 feet diameter. Normally at this time of year
it looks like a giant snowball. This year however it looks a little 'sad'
and sparse of blossom. This may be due to the weird seasons we have been
having, or possibly affected by development to the rear of my property -
depending on how much its roots spread.

If I can discover what it is then maybe I can nurture it. I would hate to
lose it by inattention as it has sentimental value - it being gifted and
planted by my sister just before her death.

Images are at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_001.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_002.jpg

TIA

Mel.
Either Deutzia gracilis or Deutzia scabra
Old 20-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Either Deutzia gracilis or Deutzia scabra
On second look, Deutzia scabra - which has double flowers.
Old 20-06-2008, 02:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"beccabunga" wrote:

Can anyone identify the bush displayed in the linked images.

Images are at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_001.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....icture_002.jpg

Either Deutzia gracilis or Deutzia scabra

Deutzia scabra looks very good though the leaf shape seems a bit off if you
look at:

http://a.gerard4.free.fr/images9/Deutzia_scabra.jpg

and compare it to mine.

Some images also show the flowers with a pink 'flash' on some of the outer
petals. Actually... Looking at several images would indicate there are many
variations of Deutzia scabra - or nobody is sure what they look like.

Still definitely the best match seen so far.

Thanks.

Mel.

Old 20-06-2008, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote:

How old is this plant? Does it need watering? Have neighbouring builders
poured out cement buckets over its roots - I've known that happen a few
times!

You have probably seen that 'beccabunga' seems to have successfully
identified the bush.

To answer your queries though...

1. It will be just over 11 years since it was planted.

2. After this spring??? But no. It is on very good soil. The best in the
garden.

3. A possibility. As I mentioned earlier there has been some development to
the rear of my property which could have impacted on the root system -
dependent on how far they spread.

Many thanks for your input. Now to try and find some care tips for it. To be
honest...I am not really a plant person and they tend to shrink in fear on
my approach.

Mel.

Old 20-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Registered User

They usually need little care, apart from pruning out the flowered stems, cutting back to new growth if possible. Try thinning it a bit, taking out around a third of the old stems. We have two in the garden which seem to do fine without more attention than that.

Last year's extremely wet July seems to have affected some of our mid-summer flowering shrubs, which have less flower on them than usual. Our laburnum was pathetic, with about a tenth of its normal flower. So it is possible that deutzias didn't like having so much water at that time of year.
Old 24-06-2008, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"beccabunga" wrote:

They usually need little care, apart from pruning out the flowered
stems, cutting back to new growth if possible. Try thinning it a bit,
taking out around a third of the old stems. We have two in the garden
which seem to do fine without more attention than that.

Today has been the first day I have had chance to have a close look at this.

I assume from what you said that it flowers on last years growth. I find it
hard to tell what is old and new growth**. It all looks pretty much the same
to me. Though I do note that those stems that have had flowers on have
darker leaves than those without. Are these the ones that need to go? The
ones with the lighter leaves being the 'new growth'.

I also note that there is another plant growing close to it and up through
it. I have no idea what it is**. It is likely something that has set itself.
There is an image at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....p/picture1.jpg

Would it be a good idea to rip this out and avoid any competion between it
and the Deutzia scabra?

TIA

** You have to allow for that fact that understanding my competance as a
gardener requires you to recall the most inept gardener that it has been
your misfortune to meet, multiply their ineptness by at least a factor of
ten, and then you might be coming close to me - but still falling short.

Mel

Old 24-06-2008, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Astral Voyager writes

Today has been the first day I have had chance to have a close look at this.

I assume from what you said that it flowers on last years growth. I find it
hard to tell what is old and new growth**. It all looks pretty much the same
to me. Though I do note that those stems that have had flowers on have
darker leaves than those without. Are these the ones that need to go? The
ones with the lighter leaves being the 'new growth'.

I also note that there is another plant growing close to it and up through
it. I have no idea what it is**. It is likely something that has set itself.
There is an image at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....p/picture1.jpg

The thing in the picture with the vaguely holly-like leaves and the
fruits setting is Mahonia aquifolia. Attractive purple fruits, good
autumn colour, fragrant yellow flowers in spring.
--
Kay
Old 26-06-2008, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

The thing in the picture with the vaguely holly-like leaves and the
fruits setting is Mahonia aquifolia. Attractive purple fruits, good
autumn colour, fragrant yellow flowers in spring.

It can take over a bed a bit Kay, it's easy to move a bit by yanking out
some of the other stems as they should be rooted in the ground. I find I
have to prune mine quite a bit as they go sideways and start to
encompass an enormous width of ground!On the other hand i don't think it
will necessarily strangle the deutzia but it will make pruning the
deutzia more tricky if the Mahonia is allowed to get too tall.
Also a swine if it gets ground elder amongst its stems as in one of my
beds!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph