Old 23-06-2008, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New 'kid' on the block

Hi all,

This is my first message to this Newsgroup. Apart from my lifelong love of
gardening, I am also very keen on photography, plants included. As I only
have a smallish garden with an equally smallish pond, I don't grow any
vegetables concentrating on orchids, cacti and a few carnivorous plants. Now
retired, I am able to devote much more of my time to both hobbies.

Mike Derby

Old 23-06-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Derby" wrote in message
Hi all,

This is my first message to this Newsgroup. Apart from my lifelong love of
gardening, I am also very keen on photography, plants included. As I only
have a smallish garden with an equally smallish pond, I don't grow any
vegetables concentrating on orchids, cacti and a few carnivorous plants.
Now
retired, I am able to devote much more of my time to both hobbies.

Mike Derby

Sounds great Mike! Although pictures aren't allowed links can be posted to
online albums. Be great to see some pics.

Dave

Old 24-06-2008, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Derby" wrote in message
Hi all,

This is my first message to this Newsgroup. Apart from my lifelong love of
gardening, I am also very keen on photography, plants included. As I only
have a smallish garden with an equally smallish pond, I don't grow any
vegetables concentrating on orchids, cacti and a few carnivorous plants.
Now
retired, I am able to devote much more of my time to both hobbies.

Mike Derby

The people in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens will be very happy to see your
pictures

Mary

Old 24-06-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Derby" wrote in message
Hi all,

This is my first message to this Newsgroup. Apart from my lifelong love
of
gardening, I am also very keen on photography, plants included. As I only
have a smallish garden with an equally smallish pond, I don't grow any
vegetables concentrating on orchids, cacti and a few carnivorous plants.
Now
retired, I am able to devote much more of my time to both hobbies.

Mike Derby

Gardening and photography make a very good combination Mike, I suggest that
you go and visit - and hopefully join in - EPZ , link below

http://www.ephotozine.com

Old 24-06-2008, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Kate Morgan" contains these words:

Gardening and photography make a very good combination Mike, I suggest that
you go and visit - and hopefully join in - EPZ , link below

Hmmm. As threatened, I'm ripping-up a Lonicera hedge and replacing it
with fruit trees, which I intend growing as cordons, and with vines on
supports over the top.

Be warned! I'm taking shots of progress, and some of them can be seen at
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/garden.htm - but much progress has
been made since the - er - 5th day of the 18th month? Shirley knot?
(18/05/'08)

I'll put up some more pics shortly. It's still a mess, but it's looking
a tidier mess, and I've - well, I and my expensive - erm, I mean -
enthusiastic helpers - removed and turned to winter firewood, (and
potash with the small stuff) a chain of hedge, with only a little less
than that to 'process' towards the rhubarby end of the garden.

Planted to date, there are about half a dozen apricots and a peach,
grown from stones, a thornless cut-leaved American blackberry, a
Tayberry, a (probably) white grape vine lovingly raised from seed, and
which I hope will bear fruit as flavoursome as its parent (though this
isn't in any way guaranteed innit), a Chinese gooseberry vine, and a
rosemary bush.

In front of some of these are blackcurranys, gooseberries, raspberries ,
strawberries and alpine strawberries.

I'll post about it again when later pics have been uploaded.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig