Old 30-06-2008, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Catalogues, blast them!

When you purchase anything from the companies you are inundated with
catalogues. Whatever company they all seem identical, how can you stop
them? Every post bring a new batch. I am exasperated. Special this,
special that, free this free that, am I alone? All I want is value!
Old 30-06-2008, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
When you purchase anything from the companies you are inundated with
catalogues. Whatever company they all seem identical, how can you stop
them? Every post bring a new batch. I am exasperated. Special this,
special that, free this free that, am I alone? All I want is value!

You're not alone.

I get them via the pc too. The paper ones are added to the compost, the
internet ones to the deleted file.

But if you think plant companies are bad please don't ever buy an item of
clothing by mail order!

Mary

Old 30-06-2008, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
When you purchase anything from the companies you are inundated with
catalogues. Whatever company they all seem identical, how can you stop
them? Every post bring a new batch. I am exasperated. Special this,
special that, free this free that, am I alone? All I want is value!

You're not alone.

I get them via the pc too. The paper ones are added to the compost, the
internet ones to the deleted file.

But if you think plant companies are bad please don't ever buy an item of
clothing by mail order!

Mary

Thanks for the tip Mary! :-)
Old 30-06-2008, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
When you purchase anything from the companies you are inundated with
catalogues. Whatever company they all seem identical, how can you stop
them? Every post bring a new batch. I am exasperated. Special this,
special that, free this free that, am I alone? All I want is value!

1) When ordering by post or internet make sure you tick the boxes that say
"don't send info" or don't tick "do send info" both exist. You often have
to search for them. There may be more than one and some may be positive
and others negative - care. If you can't find it then make your
preferences clear on the order form. Make it clear that you don't want
their info, associated companies, anybody.
1a) When ordering by phone you have to say something - I've never been
asked.
2) Write to the company once the catalogues start arriving (assuming they
do) and ask to be removed. They have to do it by law.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback View Post
When you purchase anything from the companies you are inundated with
catalogues. Whatever company they all seem identical, how can you stop
them? Every post bring a new batch. I am exasperated. Special this,
special that, free this free that, am I alone? All I want is value!
Cross out the address and write "Not Known" on the envelope, then drop it into a post box. The company has to pay for the postage on the returned item.

Usually there's a tickbox on the order form to say if you do or don't want catalogues.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
When you purchase anything from the companies you are inundated with
catalogues. Whatever company they all seem identical, how can you stop
them? Every post bring a new batch. I am exasperated. Special this,
special that, free this free that, am I alone? All I want is value!

1) When ordering by post or internet make sure you tick the boxes that say
"don't send info" or don't tick "do send info" both exist. You often
have to search for them. There may be more than one and some may be
positive and others negative - care. If you can't find it then make your
preferences clear on the order form. Make it clear that you don't want
their info, associated companies, anybody.

I always do that, it makes no difference.

1a) When ordering by phone you have to say something - I've never been
asked.

I ask too,. It doesn't work. The worst was when I ordered some flowers for
my mum and said it was very important for her not to be sent catalogues.
They sent them.

2) Write to the company once the catalogues start arriving (assuming they
do) and ask to be removed. They have to do it by law.

Perhaps, but we shouldn't have to spend time and money doing that. I'd
rather make use of them in the compost.

Mary

Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

If you search around - which I really must do myself - there is a junk mail
opt out service, rather like the telephone and fax preference service.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-07-2008, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

If you search around - which I really must do myself - there is a junk mail
opt out service, rather like the telephone and fax preference service.

But only for unsolicited mail - if you have ordered from the company it
doesn't apply because the mail is no longer 'unsolicited'
--
Kay
Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

When you purchase anything from the companies you are inundated with
catalogues. Whatever company they all seem identical, how can you stop
them? Every post bring a new batch. I am exasperated. Special this,
special that, free this free that, am I alone? All I want is value!

I think that the easy option is to give them an E-mail address that is
of no importance to you. In my case, it's the Google Mail address shown
in this posting. The junk goes there, and google deletes it for me as
junk. If by chance you have to give a valid e-mail address, then a
simple mail filter will classify it as junk, and delete it without you
having to do a single thing about it.
--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far

Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Registered User

It all makes good compost.