Old 30-06-2008, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID request

We've been away in Suffolk and saw this plant in someone's garden. They
don't know what it is but have given us some, and I took two photos while we
were there. Does anyone know what it is? It was about 3ft or maybe a little
more tall, and as you may see smothered in bees:

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/sallycatlover/Misc/

Sorry for not very brilliant photos but they were taken on my phone since I
didn't have my camera with me.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 30-06-2008, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message et, Sally
Thompson writes
We've been away in Suffolk and saw this plant in someone's garden. They
don't know what it is but have given us some, and I took two photos while we
were there. Does anyone know what it is? It was about 3ft or maybe a little
more tall, and as you may see smothered in bees:

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/sallycatlover/Misc/

Sorry for not very brilliant photos but they were taken on my phone since I
didn't have my camera with me.

Try Centaurea macrocephala.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 30-06-2008, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

A big yellow 'knapweed' Sally - Centaurea macrocephala. Nice thing
and a vigorous clumper for the middle or back of the border. It can
cope with light shade as well as full sun and is as 'tough as old
boots'. The only thing to watch is that it can become rather
mildewed and shabby on dryish soils later in the season. Oh and it
needs a bit of space to spread so give it a 3ft. centre.
Old 30-06-2008, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:56:45 +0100, Dave Poole wrote
(in article
):

A big yellow 'knapweed' Sally - Centaurea macrocephala. Nice thing
and a vigorous clumper for the middle or back of the border. It can
cope with light shade as well as full sun and is as 'tough as old
boots'. The only thing to watch is that it can become rather
mildewed and shabby on dryish soils later in the season. Oh and it
needs a bit of space to spread so give it a 3ft. centre.

Thank you both, Dave and Stewart. That is exactly it and you are both stars!
I will pour you both a virtual drink later. The person who gave it to us
wasn't very fond of it (probably because of the shabby bits) but kept it for
the bees - as will we.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Another mystery plant ID request Merle O'Broham Gardening 2 02-06-2005 06:41 PM
Plant ID request Toni Gardening 3 13-04-2005 08:15 PM
1st Pond cleaning today....Plant request jammer Ponds 5 17-09-2003 12:32 AM
1st Pond cleaning today....Plant request jammer Ponds 0 16-09-2003 02:35 AM
Plant ID request Cindy Gardening 1 13-03-2003 01:56 AM