Old 03-07-2008, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Euphorbia Problem

I have a Variagated Euphorbia that is about 4 years old. It's about
3ft high and not a rampant grower. Lately, it has stopped producing
new shoots from the base and I'm afraid I'm going to lose it. What can
I do to encourage new growth, if anything? Many thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jock" wrote in message
I have a Variagated Euphorbia that is about 4 years old. It's about
3ft high and not a rampant grower. Lately, it has stopped producing
new shoots from the base and I'm afraid I'm going to lose it. What can
I do to encourage new growth, if anything? Many thanks

Whatever you do to keep the plant do please be careful as you can have a
very bad reaction, I wont have them in my garden because of this, they cause
blisters rashes etc. burns. Interesting subject this are you reading the
parsnip one ?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Kate Morgan" writes:
| "Jock" wrote in message
| I have a Variagated Euphorbia that is about 4 years old. It's about
| 3ft high and not a rampant grower. Lately, it has stopped producing
| new shoots from the base and I'm afraid I'm going to lose it. What can
| I do to encourage new growth, if anything? Many thanks
|
| Whatever you do to keep the plant do please be careful as you can have a
| very bad reaction, I wont have them in my garden because of this, they cause
| blisters rashes etc. burns. Interesting subject this are you reading the
| parsnip one ?

Again, people vary in sensitivity. Euphorbia is one of the groups
where most people are sensitive to the sap, though it is not even in
the same league as the sumachs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Again, people vary in sensitivity. Euphorbia is one of the groups
where most people are sensitive to the sap, though it is not even in
the same league as the sumachs.

Depends which member of the Euphorbiaceae you are looking at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 03-07-2008, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

| Again, people vary in sensitivity. Euphorbia is one of the groups
| where most people are sensitive to the sap, though it is not even in
| the same league as the sumachs.
|
| Depends which member of the Euphorbiaceae you are looking at:
|
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel

I didn't know of that one! Even if that is only mostly true, it
does sound worse than even the Toxicodendron genus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

Again, people vary in sensitivity. Euphorbia is one of the groups
where most people are sensitive to the sap, though it is not even
in the same league as the sumachs.

Depends which member of the Euphorbiaceae you are looking at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel

I didn't know of that one! Even if that is only mostly true, it
does sound worse than even the Toxicodendron genus.

I really does seem to be true. Google has many references to its toxicity
(topical and systemic). I don't know of any other plant that has such toxic
sap that rain falling through its leaves onto unprotected skin can be a
hazard.

Sometimes it is quite fortuitous that some plants can't survive in our
climate!

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 03-07-2008, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

| I really does seem to be true. Google has many references to its toxicity
| (topical and systemic). I don't know of any other plant that has such toxic
| sap that rain falling through its leaves onto unprotected skin can be a
| hazard.

That would be true for Toxicodendron, too, except that the poisonous
coating isn't water-soluble. But it's not quite as bad, anyway.

| Sometimes it is quite fortuitous that some plants can't survive in our
| climate!

True.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock[_3_] View Post
I have a Variagated Euphorbia that is about 4 years old. It's about
3ft high and not a rampant grower. Lately, it has stopped producing
new shoots from the base and I'm afraid I'm going to lose it. What can
I do to encourage new growth, if anything? Many thanks

Dig it out in the autumn, split it up and replant the roots that are nice and thick. Throw away any that look rotten.

Euphorbia rowlandii aaa Gardening 1 17-10-2003 12:02 AM
Skin burn like Euphorbia United Kingdom 13 05-06-2003 09:19 AM
Euphorbia tirucalli dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 3 15-05-2003 08:32 AM
Euphorbia identification papa United Kingdom 1 14-03-2003 10:20 AM
Euphorbia mellifera lookalike ? papa United Kingdom 1 13-02-2003 05:12 PM