Old 04-07-2008, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yucca? What to do with flower stem.

I have what I think is called a Yucca that is in flower. See:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....temp/yukka.jpg

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

TIA

Mel.

--
eBid - The Friendlier Online Auction Site
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy

Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
I have what I think is called a Yucca that is in flower. See:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....temp/yukka.jpg

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

TIA

Mel.

--
eBid - The Friendlier Online Auction Site
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
http://uk.ten.ebid.net/perl/normal.c...=register-main

we let ours age a few months until the stem is blackish then cut then off as
close to their base as pos............been doing this 15 years with no ill
effect.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tpow" wrote:

I have what I think is called a Yucca that is in flower. See:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....temp/yukka.jpg

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

we let ours age a few months until the stem is blackish then cut then off
as close to their base as pos............been doing this 15 years with no
ill effect.

Thanks. That is pretty much what I have been doing up to now, but I was not
sure if I was helping or hindering it.

Do you get loads of 'babies' growing around the base? If so...what do you do
with them?

Mel

Old 04-07-2008, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tpow" wrote:

[...]

yes, we dig down as far as possible and cut or break them off. They are then
potted and if they grow, either given away to friends/family or we keep
them...........we have about 8 potted. They are useful dotted around the
garden for security and to keep the cats off or away from certain areas.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
I have what I think is called a Yucca that is in flower. See:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....temp/yukka.jpg

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

TIA

Mel.

Hell's Bells, what a beauty

Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tpow" wrote:

.....we have about 8 potted. They are useful dotted
around the garden for security and to keep the cats
off or away from certain areas.

In light of one of my other threads ( $%*X$! Cats ) I'll take that tip on
board. :-)

Thanks.

Mel

Old 04-07-2008, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

I have what I think is called a Yucca that is in flower. See:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....temp/yukka.jpg

Hell's Bells, what a beauty

Is it? No credit to me. Plants that want to thrive in my garden pretty much
have to make it on their own - which is maybe why the weeds do so well.

I've been advised by some here that many of my garden 'plants' could
actually be classified as weeds.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/7/08 12:54, in article , "Astral
Voyager" wrote:

I have what I think is called a Yucca that is in flower. See:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....temp/yukka.jpg

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

TIA

Mel.

In the past I've cut them off the ones belonging to friends, sprayed them
gold and silver and used them in church for spectacular Christmas flower
arrangements. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-07-2008, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote:

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

In the past I've cut them off the ones belonging to friends, sprayed them
gold and silver and used them in church for spectacular Christmas flower
arrangements. ;-)

I tend to get a burning sensation and start to smoke if I venture too near a
church... ;-)

Mel.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/7/08 16:33, in article , "Astral
Voyager" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote:

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

In the past I've cut them off the ones belonging to friends, sprayed them
gold and silver and used them in church for spectacular Christmas flower
arrangements. ;-)

I tend to get a burning sensation and start to smoke if I venture too near a
church... ;-)

Mel.

;-)) I rarely attend services but I reckon doing the flowers is doing my
bit for whatever it is I believe in!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
I have what I think is called a Yucca that is in flower. See:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....temp/yukka.jpg

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

TIA

Mel.

--
eBid - The Friendlier Online Auction Site
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
http://uk.ten.ebid.net/perl/normal.c...=register-main

ours with a few babies on the grow

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/Yuka2.htm

Old 04-07-2008, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Astral Voyager wrote:
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

I have what I think is called a Yucca that is in flower. See:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....temp/yukka.jpg

Hell's Bells, what a beauty

Is it? No credit to me. Plants that want to thrive in my garden pretty much
have to make it on their own - which is maybe why the weeds do so well.

Ditto!!!!

I've been advised by some here that many of my garden 'plants' could
actually be classified as weeds.

A plant is only a weed if it's growing in the wrong place ;-)
Old 04-07-2008, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Astral Voyager wrote:
"Sacha" wrote:

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

In the past I've cut them off the ones belonging to friends, sprayed them
gold and silver and used them in church for spectacular Christmas flower
arrangements. ;-)

I tend to get a burning sensation and start to smoke if I venture too near a
church... ;-)

Mel.

Mwahahahhaa a girl after my own heart! ;-)
Old 04-07-2008, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sandy" wrote:

Mwahahahhaa a girl after my own heart! ;-)

Were you referring to me? If so...WRONG SEX!

Mel

Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Astral Voyager wrote:
"Sandy" wrote:

Mwahahahhaa a girl after my own heart! ;-)

Were you referring to me? If so...WRONG SEX!

Mel

Whoops! I apologise for assuming Mel to be of the feminine form ;-)

Still, the sentiment remains g

Weird Stem - Weird Stem.JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 0 20-09-2008 03:29 PM
OT - Wild Flower - Yucca-whipplei.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 3 21-05-2008 02:16 PM
Yucca flower spike United Kingdom 8 30-01-2007 09:05 PM
Help! Broke flower stem. pockylover Orchids 2 09-10-2004 07:56 AM