Old 06-07-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yucca? What to do with flower stem.

"tpow" wrote in message

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
I have what I think is called a Yucca that is in flower. See:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....temp/yukka.jpg

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

TIA

Mel.

--
eBid - The Friendlier Online Auction Site
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy

ours with a few babies on the grow

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/Yuka2.htm

Wow! That main picture is off-the scale stunning. I want one! Is it Yucca
grandiflora?
Spider

Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"tpow" wrote in message

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
I have what I think is called a Yucca that is in flower. See:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....temp/yukka.jpg

I'm never sure what to do with the flower stem once all the flowers have
gone. Are you supposed to cut it off, or leave it to die away naturally?

TIA

Mel.

--
eBid - The Friendlier Online Auction Site
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
http://uk.ten.ebid.net/perl/normal.c...=register-main

ours with a few babies on the grow

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/Yuka2.htm

Wow! That main picture is off-the scale stunning. I want one! Is it Yucca
grandiflora?
Spider

no idea on her precise name but she stands 5' tall and consists of about 8
heads........and is some 15 years old.

If you live or travel near Winchester then let me know you are welcome to a
babe.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tpow" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

"tpow" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you! That is so kind of you. We come *fairly* close to you once or
twice a year. I'll have a chat with the husband thingy and see if he can
fit in a diversion. In the meantime, don't hang on to one specially if you
have other takers. I know what it's like to offer a plant .. feel the
obligation to hold one back .. then never see the object of that offer
again. If we can call on you, I'll phone first so we both know where we
are.

I am grateful for your offer, whatever happens, and will contact you in due
course.

Spider

Old 09-07-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/7/08 17:37, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

snip
Thank you! That is so kind of you. We come *fairly* close to you once or
twice a year. I'll have a chat with the husband thingy and see if he can
fit in a diversion. In the meantime, don't hang on to one specially if
you
have other takers. I know what it's like to offer a plant .. feel the
obligation to hold one back .. then never see the object of that offer
again. If we can call on you, I'll phone first so we both know where we
are.

I am grateful for your offer, whatever happens, and will contact you in
due
course.

Spider

Good to see you back, Spider. Assuming, of course, that you're the same
arachnid. ;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Very much the same Spider, thank you, Sacha. I crawled out from under a
stone recently and decided to inflict myself on you all again! I've been
enjoying the Weigela corraensis (sp?) you gave me, plus my purchases from
your nursery, including a Lythrum salicaria 'Gipsy Blood' currently in
flower. If only the rain would stop, I could watch the bees enjoying it.

I have recently acquired a new plant and would like to quiz you on it, if I
may, but I'll start a new thread rather than add it here. I'll also
introduce myself, as I see there are many new posters since I left.

Thanks for the cheery welcome. Richard says hello.

Spider

Old 09-07-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/08 17:24, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/7/08 17:37, in article
, "Spider"
wrote:

snip
[...]

Glad the Weigela is flourishing. I think that W. coraeensis might almost be
my favourite plant - the different coloured flowers on the one plant are so
lovely. Ours in the car park border must be about 8' to 10' tall and wide
now. It's a gorgeous thing.

I have recently acquired a new plant and would like to quiz you on it, if I
may, but I'll start a new thread rather than add it here. I'll also
introduce myself, as I see there are many new posters since I left.

See Ray's response above which he hopes is helpful to you.

Thanks for the cheery welcome. Richard says hello.

And to him. It's good to see you here.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 9/7/08 17:24, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/7/08 17:37, in article
, "Spider"
wrote:

snip
[...]

I can understand why you like it so much. Mine still has very modest
proportions, but growing well. It will take a few years to catch up with
yours. I'll look forward to it.

I have recently acquired a new plant and would like to quiz you on it, if
may, but I'll start a new thread rather than add it here. I'll also
introduce myself, as I see there are many new posters since I left.

See Ray's response above which he hopes is helpful to you.

I have, thanks, and responded.

Thanks for the cheery welcome. Richard says hello.

And to him. It's good to see you here.

Good to be back, thanks.
Spider

Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I can understand why you like it so much. Mine still has very modest
proportions, but growing well. It will take a few years to catch up with
yours. I'll look forward to it.

They seem to me to crack on pretty well. I put one outside the door to
take
to Tresco because they didn't have it. Ray packed another! So the
outside-the-back-door one didn't get taken and it has put on about 4" to
6"
of growth in about 5 weeks, I reckon. It's not a slow 'doer' anyway.
snip

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

(Well and truly snipped.).....

...... that applies to my Weigela as well! I tend to cut out all the
flowered wood to keep it tidy and, I persuade myself, more productive. It's
implicit from what you say that you don't hack at yours like that, so I'll
endeavour to stay my hand and let it put on some growth until it, perhaps,
needs some rejuvenation pruning.

I'll leave the ball in your court, but perhaps we ought to curtail this
thread before our 'down' key wears out! :~)

Spider

Weird Stem - Weird Stem.JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 0 20-09-2008 03:29 PM
OT - Wild Flower - Yucca-whipplei.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 3 21-05-2008 02:16 PM
Yucca flower spike United Kingdom 8 30-01-2007 09:05 PM
Help! Broke flower stem. pockylover Orchids 2 09-10-2004 07:56 AM