Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glypthosate dangers

I know how glyphosate works on a plant and the soil but I am wondering
if it is safe in the following circumstances:

If it is applied to weeds on concrete paths, allowed to completely dry
and then it rains is there a danger that the residue can then be carried
on shoes onto grassed areas and thus cause damage?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:
I know how glyphosate works on a plant and the soil but I am wondering
if it is safe in the following circumstances:

If it is applied to weeds on concrete paths, allowed to completely dry
and then it rains is there a danger that the residue can then be carried
on shoes onto grassed areas and thus cause damage?

I suspect that it depends how clean the concrete path is. It won't take
very much clay soil dust to adsorb the glyphosate but until the stuff is
bound to clay it is water soluble, mobile and still potentially active.

And grass is exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate so you do have to be
careful not to walk across a lawn with boots wet with the spray.

I have never had a problem with spray on concrete path joints migrating.
YMMV

But for a concrete path with joints something a bit more noxious like
"PathClear" may well do a better job.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

I know how glyphosate works on a plant and the soil but I am wondering
if it is safe in the following circumstances:

If it is applied to weeds on concrete paths, allowed to completely dry
and then it rains is there a danger that the residue can then be carried
on shoes onto grassed areas and thus cause damage?

No. Once in the soil it becomes locked-in and harmless.

Incidentally, on the Farming Programme recently (IIRC) I heard a farmer
refer to it repeatedly as 'glyphosphate'...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:04:56 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

I know how glyphosate works on a plant and the soil but I am wondering
if it is safe in the following circumstances:

If it is applied to weeds on concrete paths, allowed to completely dry
and then it rains is there a danger that the residue can then be carried
on shoes onto grassed areas and thus cause damage?

No. Once in the soil it becomes locked-in and harmless.

Incidentally, on the Farming Programme recently (IIRC) I heard a farmer
refer to it repeatedly as 'glyphosphate'...

The OP did say it was on concrete paths rather than on soil, but I
think the answer will be the same because having dried out and then
been further diluted by rain it will be very much weakened.
I think the farmer's mistake is because he will be used to dealing
with other sorts of phosphates as fertilisers.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Fuschia contains these words:
wrote:
The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

I know how glyphosate works on a plant and the soil but I am wondering
if it is safe in the following circumstances:

If it is applied to weeds on concrete paths, allowed to completely dry
and then it rains is there a danger that the residue can then be carried
on shoes onto grassed areas and thus cause damage?

No. Once in the soil it becomes locked-in and harmless.

Incidentally, on the Farming Programme recently (IIRC) I heard a farmer
refer to it repeatedly as 'glyphosphate'...

The OP did say it was on concrete paths rather than on soil, but I
think the answer will be the same because having dried out and then
been further diluted by rain it will be very much weakened.

It will be the same: if it doesn't form a (triangular) bond with the
actual concrete, as soon as it is washed into the soil, it will bond
with that and become harmless.

I think the farmer's mistake is because he will be used to dealing
with other sorts of phosphates as fertilisers.

I'm sure. But you'd think he might have heard others refer to it
correctly, and wondered, innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 09-07-2008, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

k...
wrote:
[...]

What about the grass with which it comes into contact before it reaches
the soil. Would you kindly confine your remarks to Glyphosate which has
dried on concrete, has subsequently been wetted by rain, then trodden on
by shoes which in turn have then trodden on grass?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

plonk Emrys Davies.

--
Chris
Ignoti nulla cupido

Old 09-07-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Whether or not it is technically possible for the weedkiller to
reactivate it does not do so, and when used as you discribe it will not
damage your grass
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 09-07-2008, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot everyone. That is most reassuring.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote

Incidentally, on the Farming Programme recently (IIRC) I heard a farmer
refer to it repeatedly as 'glyphosphate'...

Probably just a mistake.

An old chap was saying to a friend of ours he had finally bought himself
what he'd wanted for years, a Jezebel. Keeping a straight face our friend
asked a few questions and he had actually bought a Gazebo. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-07-2008, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote

Incidentally, on the Farming Programme recently (IIRC) I heard a farmer
refer to it repeatedly as 'glyphosphate'...

Probably just a mistake.

An old chap was saying to a friend of ours he had finally bought himself
what he'd wanted for years, a Jezebel. Keeping a straight face our friend
asked a few questions and he had actually bought a Gazebo. :-)

Freudian slip?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 2:58 pm, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

T...

In article ,
says...

. uk...
wrote:
[...]

I used it this p.m. Emrys and I too have walked on grass, (not on
water mind you) I have also sprayed some awful clinging stuff
climbing up some bushes, I put a tray behind it to protect the foliage
and let it have all of one barrel, hopefully it will die off soon.

Judith