Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glypthosate dangers

The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:
Emrys Davies wrote:

I know how glyphosate works on a plant and the soil but I am wondering
if it is safe in the following circumstances:

If it is applied to weeds on concrete paths, allowed to completely dry
and then it rains is there a danger that the residue can then be carried
on shoes onto grassed areas and thus cause damage?

I suspect that it depends how clean the concrete path is. It won't take
very much clay soil dust to adsorb the glyphosate but until the stuff is
bound to clay it is water soluble, mobile and still potentially active.

Cement powder contains clay. I've no doubt that even when incorporated
into concrete it will still bond with glyphosate.

And grass is exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate so you do have to be
careful not to walk across a lawn with boots wet with the spray.

I heartily wish it were so sensitive...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-07-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

I used it this p.m. Emrys and I too have walked on grass, (not on
water mind you)

Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and Alastair Darling are having a short break
in the country. They come to a river and can't see a bridge in either
direction, so Alaistair Darling and Gordon Brown wade across.

Tony Blair just walks across.

Angrily, Gordon asks Tony why he didn't tell them about the stepping-stones.

"Stepping stones?" asks our Tone...

I have also sprayed some awful clinging stuff
climbing up some bushes, I put a tray behind it to protect the foliage
and let it have all of one barrel, hopefully it will die off soon.

36 gallons?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-07-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 8, 5:17*pm, Fuschia wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:04:56 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2

wrote:
The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

I know how glyphosate works on a plant and the soil but I am wondering
if it is safe in the following circumstances:

If it is applied to weeds on concrete paths, allowed to completely dry
and then it rains is there a danger that the residue can then be carried
on shoes onto grassed areas and thus cause damage?

No. Once in the soil it becomes locked-in and harmless.

Incidentally, on the Farming Programme recently (IIRC) I heard a farmer
refer to it repeatedly as 'glyphosphate'...

The OP did say it was on concrete paths rather than on soil, but I
think the answer will be the same because having dried out and then
been further diluted by rain it will be very much weakened.
I think the farmer's mistake is because he will be used to dealing
with other sorts of phosphates as fertilisers.

It's probably a bit of a brain-collision between related terms - a bit
like that which leads some other farmers to refer to "hectacres" of
land.

Cat(h)
Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 6:43*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Rusty Hinge 2" *wrote
Incidentally, on the Farming Programme recently (IIRC) I heard a farmer
refer to it repeatedly as 'glyphosphate'...

Probably just a mistake.
An old chap was saying to a friend of ours he had finally bought himself
what he'd wanted for years, a Jezebel. Keeping a straight face our friend
asked a few questions and he had actually bought a Gazebo. *:-)

Freudian slip?

A Freudian malaprop ;-)

Cat(h) (a bit like the "we're doomed" tea lady in a company I used to
work for ages ago, who used to always say think the place was on the
edge of bankruptcy, and that soon, the "liquidiser" would be sent in)

Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Jul, 17:32, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
An old chap was saying to a friend of ours he had finally bought himself
what he'd wanted for years, a Jezebel. Keeping a straight face our friend
asked a few questions and he had actually bought a Gazebo. *:-)

I was describing, in French, a way of fencing the garden of a friend
in Bordeaux and said that I would in my opinion use some 'brandade'.
The looks I got were serious and questioning, until they all laughed
loudly. I had meant of course 'brande' which is a type of fence made
of differerent wood, and not 'brandade' which is a fish and potato
dish )

Old 12-07-2008, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 11, 6:40 pm, wrote:
On 9 Jul, 17:32, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

An old chap was saying to a friend of ours he had finally bought himself
what he'd wanted for years, a Jezebel. Keeping a straight face our friend
asked a few questions and he had actually bought a Gazebo. :-)

I was describing, in French, a way of fencing the garden of a friend
in Bordeaux and said that I would in my opinion use some 'brandade'.
The looks I got were serious and questioning, until they all laughed
loudly. I had meant of course 'brande' which is a type of fence made
of differerent wood, and not 'brandade' which is a fish and potato
dish )

You had me there for a minute as I bought Brandade for our lunch
tommorow, I love it.

Judith
Old 12-07-2008, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Jul, 00:58, Judith in France
wrote:
You had me there for a minute as I bought Brandade for our lunch
tommorow, I love it.

I just can't make it like my aunt did it. Something to do with the
type of cod or potatoes perhaps. It is rather gorgeous. Another 20
days and I'm out of that relentless rain, sipping a lil' medoc
underneath the oak trees ;o)