Old 17-07-2008, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slugs V Snails

During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that
over the years the pest population has changed from being almost
entirely slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

There are only a few slugs appear in my garden after a humid night, but
snails are everywhere.

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)
--
Gordon H
Old 17-07-2008, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that over
the years the pest population has changed from being almost entirely
slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

There are only a few slugs appear in my garden after a humid night, but
snails are everywhere.

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)

Maybe someone in the vicinity has been liming their soil. Thereby providing
the snails with the wherewithal to build their house.

John

Old 17-07-2008, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that over
the years the pest population has changed from being almost entirely
slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

There are only a few slugs appear in my garden after a humid night, but
snails are everywhere.

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)

Reminds me of the old joke;

Q. What does the slug standing on a street corner call out to all the
passing snails?

Scroll down.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
You are going to hate his.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
A. "Big Issue"

Ill get my coat.
Mike

Old 17-07-2008, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stephen Wolstenholme writes
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:21:30 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that
over the years the pest population has changed from being almost
entirely slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

There are only a few slugs appear in my garden after a humid night, but
snails are everywhere.

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)

The same has happened here (North Cheshire) and further North where my
mothers in Lancashire. The snail population has reached a very high
level over the last 10 years while slugs are getting quite rare.

No snails when I moved to Leeds about 20 years ago. Now have a lot, but
still have a lot of slugs too.

Weather seems to have got wetter over the period - I'm deducing this
from local streams being more full during the summer, a new pond
developing in the parkland nearby, big increase in damper-loving species
such as lesser celandine. I wondered whether snails were less tolerant
of dry weather than slugs.
--
Kay
Old 17-07-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that
over the years the pest population has changed from being almost
entirely slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

There are only a few slugs appear in my garden after a humid night, but
snails are everywhere.

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)

The same has happened here (North Cheshire) and further North where my
mothers in Lancashire. The snail population has reached a very high
level over the last 10 years while slugs are getting quite rare.

Steve

--
EasyNN-plus. Build Neural Networks. http://www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast the Future. http://www.swingnn.com

They must have all moved south then where we have plenty of both. Please
supply sae for samples

Old 17-07-2008, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that over
the years the pest population has changed from being almost entirely
slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

There are only a few slugs appear in my garden after a humid night, but
snails are everywhere.

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)
--
Gordon H

We almost always see slugs.

The hens get the snails!

Mary

Old 17-07-2008, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/7/08 15:43, in article , "John E"
wrote:

"Gordon H" wrote in message
During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that over
the years the pest population has changed from being almost entirely
slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

There are only a few slugs appear in my garden after a humid night, but
snails are everywhere.

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)

Maybe someone in the vicinity has been liming their soil. Thereby providing
the snails with the wherewithal to build their house.

John

Not a sub-prime mortgage area, then. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-07-2008, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Robert (Plymouth)"
writes

.. .
wrote:

During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that
over the years the pest population has changed from being almost
entirely slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)

The same has happened here (North Cheshire) and further North where my
mothers in Lancashire. The snail population has reached a very high
level over the last 10 years while slugs are getting quite rare.

Steve

They must have all moved south then where we have plenty of both.
Please supply sae for samples

Is that what they call "Snail mail"?
--
Gordon H
Old 17-07-2008, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that over
the years the pest population has changed from being almost entirely
slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

There are only a few slugs appear in my garden after a humid night, but
snails are everywhere.

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)

We almost always see slugs.

The hens get the snails!
Mary

They just don't provide them with suitable armour these days...
--
Gordon H
Old 17-07-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 17, 6:12 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message

During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that over
the years the pest population has changed from being almost entirely
slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

There are only a few slugs appear in my garden after a humid night, but
snails are everywhere.

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)
--

, Gordon H

We almost always see slugs.

The hens get the snails!

Mary

Mary, I have taken your advice on the hens, thank you, be advised you
will have many emails in the future :-)

Judith

Old 17-07-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 17, 4:43 pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message

During the 47 years I have lived in this property I have noticed that over
the years the pest population has changed from being almost entirely
slugs, to become almost entirely snails!

There are only a few slugs appear in my garden after a humid night, but
snails are everywhere.

Is it just that there is less homelessness today? ;-)

Reminds me of the old joke;

Q. What does the slug standing on a street corner call out to all the
passing snails?

Scroll down.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
You are going to hate his.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
A. "Big Issue"

Ill get my coat.
Mike

Duh Mike, I know we were neighbours in Norfolk, this is a Norfolk joke
lol.

Judith
Old 18-07-2008, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:17:23 +0100, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Jul 17, 6:12 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

snip

We almost always see slugs.

The hens get the snails!

Mary

Mary, I have taken your advice on the hens, thank you, be advised you
will have many emails in the future :-)

Hey, Judith, I have my first two hens now:-) Very entertaining they are too.
Perhaps we need a URG hen sub-group.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 18-07-2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 18, 10:08 pm, Sally Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:17:23 +0100, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Jul 17, 6:12 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

snip

We almost always see slugs.

The hens get the snails!

Mary

Mary, I have taken your advice on the hens, thank you, be advised you
will have many emails in the future :-)

Hey, Judith, I have my first two hens now:-) Very entertaining they are too.
Perhaps we need a URG hen sub-group.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Definitely Sally!!!! I propose Mary as President :-)

Judith
Old 19-07-2008, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:46:30 +0100, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Jul 18, 10:08 pm, Sally Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:17:23 +0100, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Jul 17, 6:12 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

snip

We almost always see slugs.

The hens get the snails!

Mary

Mary, I have taken your advice on the hens, thank you, be advised you
will have many emails in the future :-)

Hey, Judith, I have my first two hens now:-) Very entertaining they are
too.
Perhaps we need a URG hen sub-group.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Definitely Sally!!!! I propose Mary as President :-)

Seconded. Will Mary accept the honour do you think? It will have to be an
unpaid position.
:-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 19-07-2008, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 19, 10:52 am, Sally Thompson wrote:
[...]

She leads such a busy life she may not but we can ask!!!!
Coooeeeeeeeee Mary, whatdya think?

Judith