Old 26-07-2008, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID anyone?

I assume it's a snail. Clinging to my garden wall. Never seen anything like
it before.
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/wotami/wotami
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 26-07-2008, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete C
writes
I assume it's a snail. Clinging to my garden wall. Never seen anything like
it before.
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/wotami/wotami

Capaea nemoralis, or something similar. Famous for having many,
substrate-related, colour morphs.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-07-2008, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Pete C
writes
I assume it's a snail. Clinging to my garden wall. Never seen
anything like it before.
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/wotami/wotami

Capaea nemoralis, or something similar. Famous for having many,
substrate-related, colour morphs.

Thanks Stuart. I Googled for that name. People actually keep them as pets!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 26-07-2008, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete C
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Pete C
writes
I assume it's a snail. Clinging to my garden wall. Never seen
anything like it before.
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/wotami/wotami

Capaea nemoralis, or something similar. Famous for having many,
substrate-related, colour morphs.

Thanks Stuart. I Googled for that name. People actually keep them as pets!

I had to Google for the name as well; I remembered the nemoralis bit,
but not the genus, and googling was faster than figuring out where in my
library to find a mention.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-07-2008, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete C
writes
I assume it's a snail. Clinging to my garden wall. Never seen anything
like
it before.
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/wotami/wotami

Capaea nemoralis, or something similar. Famous for having many,
substrate-related, colour morphs.

My guess would be cepaea hortentis. Very common in my garden. Most folks
only see those big brown/green ones.

Old 26-07-2008, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
In message , Pete C
writes
I assume it's a snail. Clinging to my garden wall. Never seen
anything like
it before.
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/wotami/wotami

Capaea nemoralis, or something similar. Famous for having many,
substrate-related, colour morphs.

My guess would be cepaea hortentis. Very common in my garden. Most
folks only see those big brown/green ones.

As far as I undestand it, the difference between nemoralis and hortentis is
the colour of the lip. (brown or white) Too dark for me to go look now.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 26-07-2008, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Pete C
writes
I assume it's a snail. Clinging to my garden wall. Never seen
anything like it before.
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/wotami/wotami

Capaea nemoralis, or something similar. Famous for having many,
substrate-related, colour morphs.

Thanks Stuart. I Googled for that name. People actually keep them as pets!
--

We've got them on the allotment. They're much tougher to crack than a normal
snail.

Steve

Old 26-07-2008, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
In message , Pete C
writes
I assume it's a snail. Clinging to my garden wall. Never seen
anything like
it before.
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/wotami/wotami

Capaea nemoralis, or something similar. Famous for having many,
substrate-related, colour morphs.

My guess would be cepaea hortentis. Very common in my garden. Most
folks only see those big brown/green ones.

As far as I undestand it, the difference between nemoralis and hortentis
is the colour of the lip. (brown or white) Too dark for me to go look now.

Oh, please go out and look ;- ) Joking of course. Nemoralis, in my
experience has fewer bands on the shell and your photo fits exactly
hortentis for me. Other views may vary and I never mind being proved wrong.
I am always up for learning from those who know better, but for me, it's
hortentis.

Old 26-07-2008, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

snippy

Oh, please go out and look ;- ) Joking of course. Nemoralis, in my
experience has fewer bands on the shell and your photo fits exactly
hortentis for me. Other views may vary and I never mind being proved
wrong. I am always up for learning from those who know better, but
for me, it's hortentis.

I'm curious.........how do you and others know so much about snails? I mean,
this is a gardening group.......snails are a PITA. My original post was made
in the hope that someone may just know, but I never expected this amount of
knowledge.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 26-07-2008, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pete C writes
Christina Websell wrote:

snippy

Oh, please go out and look ;- ) Joking of course. Nemoralis, in my
experience has fewer bands on the shell and your photo fits exactly
hortentis for me. Other views may vary and I never mind being proved
wrong. I am always up for learning from those who know better, but
for me, it's hortentis.

I'm curious.........how do you and others know so much about snails? I mean,
this is a gardening group.......snails are a PITA. My original post was made
in the hope that someone may just know, but I never expected this amount of
knowledge.

Not uncommon to have apparently conflicting interests. I knew a
professional entomologist whose spare time pursuit was growing
insectivorous plants.
--
Kay

Old 26-07-2008, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

snippy

Oh, please go out and look ;- ) Joking of course. Nemoralis, in my
experience has fewer bands on the shell and your photo fits exactly
hortentis for me. Other views may vary and I never mind being proved
wrong. I am always up for learning from those who know better, but
for me, it's hortentis.

I'm curious.........how do you and others know so much about snails? I
mean, this is a gardening group.......snails are a PITA. My original post
was made in the hope that someone may just know, but I never expected this
amount of knowledge.

Some of us like to gather knowledge all the time, sort of like Eggheads on
BBC2. You never know when it will come in useful.

Old 26-07-2008, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

snippy

Oh, please go out and look ;- ) Joking of course. Nemoralis, in my
experience has fewer bands on the shell and your photo fits exactly
hortentis for me. Other views may vary and I never mind being
proved wrong. I am always up for learning from those who know
better, but for me, it's hortentis.

I'm curious.........how do you and others know so much about snails?
I mean, this is a gardening group.......snails are a PITA. My
original post was made in the hope that someone may just know, but I
never expected this amount of knowledge.

Some of us like to gather knowledge all the time, sort of like
Eggheads on BBC2. You never know when it will come in useful.

A prog. I love.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 26-07-2008, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

snippy

Oh, please go out and look ;- ) Joking of course. Nemoralis, in my
experience has fewer bands on the shell and your photo fits exactly
hortentis for me. Other views may vary and I never mind being proved
wrong. I am always up for learning from those who know better, but
for me, it's hortentis.

I'm curious.........how do you and others know so much about snails? I
mean,
this is a gardening group.......snails are a PITA. My original post
was made
in the hope that someone may just know, but I never expected this amount of
knowledge.

Know thine enemy, Pete...! ;-)

--
AnneJ
Old 26-07-2008, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 26, 11:19 pm, K wrote:
[...]

I remember that you have a few very "interesting"plants yourself Kay?
Do you still have them?

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
On Jul 26, 11:19 pm, K wrote:
[...]

I've just got the butterworts now. Nice plants - seem to be in flower
virtually all the year round.
--
Kay

can anyone help ID a bug?? PRHD Gardening 1 04-05-2003 06:32 AM
Anyone in the Chicagoland area looking for Discus? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 02-04-2003 03:33 PM
'Romanticas' Anyone? Bob Bauer Roses 0 03-02-2003 04:47 PM
JIM'S BACK! Blue Girl and Oregold...anyone got them? Shiva Roses 2 29-01-2003 12:16 AM
Blue Girl and Oregold...anyone got them? JimS. Roses 0 27-01-2003 04:19 AM