Old 27-07-2008, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID anyone?

In article ,
says...
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Pete C
writes
I assume it's a snail. Clinging to my garden wall. Never seen
anything like it before.
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/wotami/wotami

Capaea nemoralis, or something similar. Famous for having many,
substrate-related, colour morphs.

Thanks Stuart. I Googled for that name. People actually keep them as pets!

I have always known them as "Banded snails" and unlike the big brown jobs
they seem to live above ground in the foliage of plants and are a right
pain with clematis!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 27-07-2008, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

I'm curious.........how do you and others know so much about snails?
I mean,
this is a gardening group.......snails are a PITA. My original post
was made
in the hope that someone may just know, but I never expected this
amount of
knowledge.

Know thy enemy :~)

Snap! GMTA Charlie.

--
AnneJ
Old 27-07-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 12:20 am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

On Jul 26, 11:19 pm, K wrote:
Pete C writesChristina Websell wrote:

snippy

Oh, please go out and look ;- ) Joking of course. Nemoralis, in my
experience has fewer bands on the shell and your photo fits exactly
hortentis for me. Other views may vary and I never mind being proved
wrong. I am always up for learning from those who know better, but
for me, it's hortentis.

I'm curious.........how do you and others know so much about snails? I mean,
this is a gardening group.......snails are a PITA. My original post was made
in the hope that someone may just know, but I never expected this amount of
knowledge.

Not uncommon to have apparently conflicting interests. I knew a
professional entomologist whose spare time pursuit was growing
insectivorous plants.
--

I remember that you have a few very "interesting"plants yourself Kay?
Do you still have them?

I've just got the butterworts now. Nice plants - seem to be in flower
virtually all the year round.
--
Kay

Is your greenhouse/hot house still packed out with cacti?

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
On Jul 27, 12:20 am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

On Jul 26, 11:19 pm, K wrote:
[...]

Not packed out. About half full. The other half has courgettes, peppers,
beans (for the snail free environment) and masses of seelings being
grown on ready for planting out.
--
Kay

Old 27-07-2008, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 4:16 pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

On Jul 27, 12:20 am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

On Jul 26, 11:19 pm, K wrote:
[...]

Time for another meet Kay??????? How is Jane Ranson these days, will
she ever come back to urg do you think?

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
Time for another meet Kay??????? How is Jane Ranson these days, will
she ever come back to urg do you think?

Not many of the northern urgler old-timers still around. Jane is fine,
but very busy.
--
Kay
Old 27-07-2008, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 5:43 pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

Time for another meet Kay??????? How is Jane Ranson these days, will
she ever come back to urg do you think?

Not many of the northern urgler old-timers still around. Jane is fine,
but very busy.
--
Kay

That's a shame, do you still see Cormaic? I have spoken to him in
years, I hope he is well, I looked on his webpages and I see he has a
pic of me there!!! Lovely memories of my time in Leeds with you.

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
On Jul 27, 5:43 pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

Time for another meet Kay??????? How is Jane Ranson these days, will
she ever come back to urg do you think?

Not many of the northern urgler old-timers still around. Jane is fine,
but very busy.

That's a shame, do you still see Cormaic? I have spoken to him in
years, I hope he is well, I looked on his webpages and I see he has a
pic of me there!!! Lovely memories of my time in Leeds with you.

Occasionally, but he's pretty busy nowadays!
--
Kay
Old 28-07-2008, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Jul, 21:29, K wrote:
Judith in France writesOn Jul 27, 5:43 pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

Time for another meet Kay??????? *How is Jane Ranson these days, will
she ever come back to urg do you think?

Not many of the northern urgler old-timers still around. Jane is fine,
but very busy.

That's a shame, do you still see Cormaic? *I have spoken to him in
years, I hope he is well, I looked on his webpages and I see he has a
pic of me there!!! *Lovely memories of my time in Leeds with you.

Occasionally, but he's pretty busy nowadays!
--
Kay

Hi folks.

Don't know whether you remember me, but I was one of the 'lurkers'
when Jane Ransom & Cormaic in the north used to regularly post a few
years ago. Only wished I 'd met up with you all at that time on your
days out.

I thought about you all only yesterday, when I went to an NGS open day
at Hesketh Bank near Southport (Hawthorne's Clematis nursery.)

Would've liked to have met up with other keen plantspeople. Had a
great time anyway, and got some good advice from the owner on what to
buy. (Needless to say I bought a lot !)

Getting back to the snail - I too have some on pebbledashed walls -
thought they didn't like uneven surfaces ??

Kind regards.

richardroo.

Old 29-07-2008, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 28, 9:24 pm, Roo wrote:
On 27 Jul, 21:29, K wrote:

[...]

Richard if you lurked, then we don't know you!! I was here in the
time of Cormaic and Jane and do I miss them!!!! I am so glad you have
posted. If you want to know about clematis, then Charlie is your
man. Welcome and keep on posting.

Judith (very hot and bothered as it is sooooooooooo hot here, how on
earth can one sleep tonight?)
Old 29-07-2008, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jul, 00:00, Judith in France
wrote:
On Jul 28, 9:24 pm, Roo wrote:

On 27 Jul, 21:29, K wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your comments, Judith.

I did post occasionally back then, but I really used to read & enjoy
all the gardening 'gossip' that went on - it was like getting a top
gardening magazine delivered daily online - couldn't wait to read.

I remember Cormaic as an intelligent plantsman with our dry northern
humour, and Judith lived through the Trough near Lancaster (I'm in
Clitheroe.)

You've got me thinking about what I could post, so started a new
thread (that's probably been commented on many times before.....) re
Carol Klein.

Best wishes, and don't hog all that beautiful sun to yourself, send
some up here !!

richardroo
Old 03-08-2008, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I have always known them as "Banded snails" and unlike the big brown jobs
they seem to live above ground in the foliage of plants and are a right
pain with clematis!

MTAAAW. Just fed a dozen or so to the thrushes this afternoon while
pruning back the C. horizontalis which grows through 90º (into C.
verticalis?) up the front elevation of me cottij.

Right pain in the cotoneaster innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-08-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Roo contains these words:

Thanks for your comments, Judith.

I did post occasionally back then, but I really used to read & enjoy
all the gardening 'gossip' that went on - it was like getting a top
gardening magazine delivered daily online - couldn't wait to read.

I remember Cormaic as an intelligent plantsman with our dry northern
humour, and Judith lived through the Trough near Lancaster (I'm in
Clitheroe.)

You've got me thinking about what I could post, so started a new
thread (that's probably been commented on many times before.....) re
Carol Klein.

Best wishes, and don't hog all that beautiful sun to yourself, send
some up here !!

Well, I remember seening 'Roo' before, but not often. I've been swanning
about in this group since around six months to a year after Zetnet
began. About twelve years? Ish?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

can anyone help ID a bug?? PRHD Gardening 1 04-05-2003 06:32 AM
Anyone in the Chicagoland area looking for Discus? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 02-04-2003 03:33 PM
'Romanticas' Anyone? Bob Bauer Roses 0 03-02-2003 04:47 PM
JIM'S BACK! Blue Girl and Oregold...anyone got them? Shiva Roses 2 29-01-2003 12:16 AM
Blue Girl and Oregold...anyone got them? JimS. Roses 0 27-01-2003 04:19 AM