Old 08-08-2008, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whats it good for?

I have a good sized greenhouse in the garden (10 ft square) it seems to be
of good quality alluminium construction and stands on a concrete pad. It
even has automatic opening roof vents.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10544
Now that I am getting on top of the rest of the garden I have started
wondering what use to put it to. The problem is it is overshadowed by large
trees so gets little direct sun.

All suggestions appreciated.

And no I don't intend moving it.

Mike

Old 08-08-2008, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
I have a good sized greenhouse in the garden (10 ft square) it seems to be
of good quality alluminium construction and stands on a concrete pad. It
even has automatic opening roof vents.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10544
Now that I am getting on top of the rest of the garden I have started
wondering what use to put it to. The problem is it is overshadowed by
large
trees so gets little direct sun.

All suggestions appreciated.

And no I don't intend moving it.

Prune the trees ?
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 08-08-2008, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote in message
I have a good sized greenhouse in the garden (10 ft square) it seems to be
of good quality alluminium construction and stands on a concrete pad. It
even has automatic opening roof vents.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10544
Now that I am getting on top of the rest of the garden I have started
wondering what use to put it to. The problem is it is overshadowed by
large
trees so gets little direct sun.

All suggestions appreciated.

And no I don't intend moving it.

Prune the trees ?

Problem is some are massive, and I am restricted on what I can do to them
due to our conservation area status. now that is another story.

Mike

Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
I have a good sized greenhouse in the garden (10 ft square) it seems to be
of good quality alluminium construction and stands on a concrete pad. It
even has automatic opening roof vents.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10544
Now that I am getting on top of the rest of the garden I have started
wondering what use to put it to. The problem is it is overshadowed by large
trees so gets little direct sun.

All suggestions appreciated.

Any chance of thinning the trees a bit to the south, SE, or SW?

Otherwise try growing things in it that like dappled shade and summer
warmth.

Stick a tomato, pepper plant or two in a grow bag and see how they do.
(bit late for this year)

Provided it isn't too dark they will probably be OK.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-08-2008, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/8/08 09:57, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

I have a good sized greenhouse in the garden (10 ft square) it seems to be
of good quality alluminium construction and stands on a concrete pad. It
even has automatic opening roof vents.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10544
Now that I am getting on top of the rest of the garden I have started
wondering what use to put it to. The problem is it is overshadowed by large
trees so gets little direct sun.

All suggestions appreciated.

And no I don't intend moving it.

Corner the local market in Hosta growing?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote
I have a good sized greenhouse in the garden (10 ft square) it seems to be
of good quality alluminium construction and stands on a concrete pad. It
even has automatic opening roof vents.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10544
Now that I am getting on top of the rest of the garden I have started
wondering what use to put it to. The problem is it is overshadowed by
large
trees so gets little direct sun.

All suggestions appreciated.

And no I don't intend moving it.

Orchids don't like too much direct sunlight so should do well in the dappled
shade. Care! Orchid growing can become a disease (and expensive).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-08-2008, 02:26 AM
Registered User

I have come across several greenhouses placed under trees and to my thinking they are a waste of time unless you have a specific reason for wanting a large amount of shade. Tomatoes, peppers etc grow at twice the speed and produce half the number of trusses with weedy stems. I don't know if it possible to fight shade with shade by growing grapes but I doubt it. If you are not prepared to move it I suggest you give it away to someone who can make full use of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Muddymike" wrote

Old 09-08-2008, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
I have a good sized greenhouse in the garden (10 ft square) it seems to be
of good quality alluminium construction and stands on a concrete pad. It
even has automatic opening roof vents.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10544
Now that I am getting on top of the rest of the garden I have started
wondering what use to put it to. The problem is it is overshadowed by large
trees so gets little direct sun.

All suggestions appreciated.

And no I don't intend moving it.

Mike

Should be ok for summer crops like toms, but if you want ornamentals then
its in just the spot, far more you can do with shaded greenhouses!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bigal writes

I have come across several greenhouses placed under trees and to my
thinking they are a waste of time unless you have a specific reason for
wanting a large amount of shade. Tomatoes, peppers etc grow at twice
the speed and produce half the number of trusses with weedy stems. I
don't know if it possible to fight shade with shade by growing grapes
but I doubt it. If you are not prepared to move it I suggest you give
it away to someone who can make full use of it.

There's probably a difference between 'overshadowed' in the sense of
branches overhanging and "overshadowed" in the sense of big trees to the
south.

Direct sun is not necessary (and too much sun is a problem, meaning you
have to go to the effort of shading the greenhouse some way in the
summer in order to avoid overheating). Lack of light is a problem.

There's various uses for greenhouses, for example 1) growing annual
crops that need a warmer summer than we can provide 2) growing perennial
plants that need warmth - eg orchids, cacti 3) overwintering tender
plants that can spend their summer outside 4) extending the growing
season at either end, by protecting late crops from the frost, and
getting seedlings off to an early start before planting out 5) providing
a sheltered (eg slug-free) environment for vulnerable plants 6)
extending the flowering season and giving somewhere to sit with a cup of
coffee on warm winter days

Especially if your trees are deciduous, I'd have thought you'd find that
the greenhouse would really come into its own in autumn through to
spring (though to make full use in winter you are better off with some
form of heating).

It may be less use in summer, depending on how shaded it is. The plus
side is that if you don't use it in summer it gives you a time of year
when you can empty it completely and give it a really good clean-out. I
use my (partially shaded) greenhouse all the year round (for all 6 of
the purposes above!), and so am never able to give it a really good
clean out. I have to clean little bits whenever I am moving pots around.

"Muddymike" wrote-

http://tinyurl.com/6dk8ad

-

Orchids don't like too much direct sunlight so should do well in the
dappled

shade. Care! Orchid growing can become a disease (and expensive).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

--
Bigal

--
Kay
Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
I have a good sized greenhouse in the garden (10 ft square) it seems to be
of good quality alluminium construction and stands on a concrete pad. It
even has automatic opening roof vents.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10544
Now that I am getting on top of the rest of the garden I have started
wondering what use to put it to. The problem is it is overshadowed by large
trees so gets little direct sun.

All suggestions appreciated.

And no I don't intend moving it.

Mike

Cucumbers seem to do fine with a fair bit of shade.

paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

Old 09-08-2008, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

In article ,
says...
I have a good sized greenhouse in the garden (10 ft square) it seems to be
of good quality alluminium construction and stands on a concrete pad. It
even has automatic opening roof vents.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10544
Now that I am getting on top of the rest of the garden I have started
wondering what use to put it to. The problem is it is overshadowed
by large
trees so gets little direct sun.

All suggestions appreciated.

And no I don't intend moving it.

Mike

Should be ok for summer crops like toms, but if you want ornamentals then
its in just the spot, far more you can do with shaded greenhouses!

Lapageria rosea amongst others ...

Jennifer

My thoughts exactly :~)
Old 09-08-2008, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:53:20 +0100, Paul Luton
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Cucumbers seem to do fine with a fair bit of shade.

In Spain, tomatoes tend to be grown on inward sloping poles (wigwam
sty lee)

The tomato trusses drop down into the interior and never see the sun.
They seem to do alright.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²