Old 13-08-2008, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cardboard in compost

Hi,

I have been putting regular brown cardboard in bin, cut up, I am not sure if
I can put the shiny coloured stuff in as well. Any hints, tips? thanks.

Old 13-08-2008, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 13 Aug, 12:51, "Sheila" wrote:
Hi,

I have been putting regular brown cardboard in bin, cut up, I am not sure if
I can put the shiny coloured stuff in as well. Any hints, tips? *thanks..

Do a search here....
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/soil/

... and you'll find a wealth of opinion on the matter.

I've been adding food packaging (e.g. cereal packets, pizza boxes,
etc.) to my compost bin, on the basis that manufacturers would be
using non-toxic, soy-based inks on anything that might come in contact
with food.
Old 13-08-2008, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ornata wrote:
On 13 Aug, 12:51, "Sheila" wrote:
Hi,

I have been putting regular brown cardboard in bin, cut up, I am not
sure if I can put the shiny coloured stuff in as well. Any hints,
tips? thanks.

Do a search here....
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/soil/

... and you'll find a wealth of opinion on the matter.

I've been adding food packaging (e.g. cereal packets, pizza boxes,
etc.) to my compost bin, on the basis that manufacturers would be
using non-toxic, soy-based inks on anything that might come in contact
with food.

Can't say what is current, but in the past I worked for a company who
occasionally printed cartons for food. No special ink was used.

Old 13-08-2008, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 13, 5:33*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Ornata wrote:
On 13 Aug, 12:51, "Sheila" wrote:
Hi,

I have been putting regular brown cardboard in bin, cut up, I am not
sure if I can put the shiny coloured stuff in as well. Any hints,
tips? thanks.

Do a search here....
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/soil/

... and you'll find a wealth of opinion on the matter.

I've been adding food packaging (e.g. cereal packets, pizza boxes,
etc.) to my compost bin, on the basis that manufacturers would be
using non-toxic, soy-based inks on anything that might come in contact
with food.

Can't say what is current, but in the past I worked for a company who
occasionally printed cartons for food. No special ink was used.- Hide quoted text -

Do you use any stuff from your present occupation Pete for use in
compost. I liked the photos of your water feature, well done.

Judith
Old 20-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Registered User

Red face

I think it depends on how efficient a composter you are. Personally I wouldn't be worried about the ink in the print, more about the shiny surface. I don't think my compost heap would be up to the task, so I take cereal boxes etc to the recycling centre. For the same reason I put shrub prunings and dodgy weeds in the green wheelie bin for the local council to deal with in their mega heaps.