Old 15-08-2008, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another raspberry question

Last year I bought a raspberry which was supposed to be Autumn Gold or some
such - late fruiting with golden berries.

It fruited this year barely later than the main crops, in July, and the
fruits were large, long and delicious. But purple.

We'd like to grow more canes of this variety at the back of the fruit cage
(the others are in the main garden) but don't know if we can take cuttings.
There aren't any runners.

Yet :-)

Mary

Old 16-08-2008, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Last year I bought a raspberry which was supposed to be Autumn Gold or
some
such - late fruiting with golden berries.

It fruited this year barely later than the main crops, in July, and the
fruits were large, long and delicious. But purple.

We'd like to grow more canes of this variety at the back of the fruit
cage
(the others are in the main garden) but don't know if we can take
cuttings.
There aren't any runners.

Yet :-)

Give it time...

Yebbut we might not have as much as it has, which is why I want to take
cuttings. If it's possible.

Mary

Old 18-08-2008, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message

This isn't something I've ever come across, but if you were to lay
one of the canes along the ground, is there a possibility that it
would shoot (and root) from various parts of the stem?

SWK may be along shortly... if not I'll ask my fruit farmer friend.

--
AnneJ

If SWK is around, could you ask if we/I could lay a cane along pots of
earth/compost - or air layer? there's not much room to lay a cane on the
ground. It's complicated but I'll explain if necessary.

Mary

Old 18-08-2008, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...

You can chop the rootstock up to produce lots of new plants but you will
need to grow the small bits on before putting them out

Is that guaranteed?

I'm happy to try it if it is but if not I'm not too happy about sacrificing
a root.

Mary

Old 18-08-2008, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

If SWK is around, could you ask if we/I could lay a cane along pots of
earth/compost - or air layer? there's not much room to lay a cane on the
ground. It's complicated but I'll explain if necessary.

I have a feeling - only a feeling, mind - that a cane wouldn't root. BICBW.

If it does, it will only do so at nodes.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Another Raspberry Question Pavel314[_2_] Edible Gardening 4 31-01-2013 12:37 PM
Another New Raspberry Question Roger Tonkin United Kingdom 3 20-08-2010 12:24 PM
Raspberry Vines Question Bob Gardening 4 15-04-2010 12:00 PM
Raspberry cane question mogga United Kingdom 1 12-07-2009 04:27 PM
Raspberry question Lilah Morgan Edible Gardening 2 13-05-2007 05:42 AM